A smaller, better, easier Atlasia.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:20:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  A smaller, better, easier Atlasia.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: A smaller, better, easier Atlasia.  (Read 4134 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2011, 12:27:20 PM »

Hi, I'm J. J.  I'm running for President and my campaign is a joke.  The issuethat I'm raising however, is no joke.

That issue is a smaller, better, easier Atlasia.

Over the past several days, I've tried to wade through the rules and laws of Altasia (or whatever the hell it is called), just an average voter, not interested in running for anything and not really that interested in government.  I found that it is nearly impossible to find anything, even those things that effect the status of voters.  This is from someone that is a former bureaucrat, and is use to dealing with regulations.

I could not find a record of laws being passed, even though I was told they just did.  I found out, stunningly, that I could not leave Atlasia at the time, ceasing to be an official voter; I could not even find the law that said that.  To cancel my registration, I would have to have broken the law, been tried, convicted, and lost my right to vote.

This is what the average citizen faces, the ones that don't deal with bureaucracy of rules day in and day out.  There is no need for it.

Some parts of this cyber simulation that seem to work well.  The Constitution is an excellent document.  The Supreme Court works well, even having to wade this quagmire of scattered rules.

We've also seen arrogance with our elected officials, even in the party which claims to want to be closer to the people, whose nomination I am seeking. A reference to an "opt out" list for political PM's was made.  It prompted interest, but the respondent never bothered to link to where it was.  It was a six week old post, on page 14 of a thread.

Had you ever heard of this opt out?  I hadn't. 

This is what the players in this game are facing.  Impossible to find rules and, in some cases, the people making the rules unresponsive to the citizen.

Well, my candidacy is an effort to change that.

If elected, I will strive to make this game more user friendly for the common people, those who don't have a perpetual desire to grub for votes.  To do that, I will:

Veto any measure before the Senate, until the Senate codifies the rules relating to voting and membership in general in a single, assessable document.

After that, veto any measure until the Senate requires a description of each bill, accurate, to be added to the title so that the bill can be easily searched.

After this done, I shall resign and leave Atlasia, if you are stupid enough decide to elect me in the first place.

I am interested in a vice presidential running mate, preferably someone who shares my goals on these matters.  Please PM me if you are interested.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 12:38:38 PM »

Not endorsed.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 01:37:31 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2011, 01:39:03 PM by Former Acting President Kalwejt »

Not endorsed.

I like you, J.J., but you're here for like a day or two, and running for President without any experience and probably limited knowledge is a total joke.

As much as I can "disagree" with a serious right candidate in this election, he actually knows the stuff. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 01:44:49 PM »

Not endorsed.

I like you, J.J., but you're here for like a day or two, and running for President without any experience and probably limited knowledge is a total joke.

As much as I can "disagree" with a serious right candidate in this election, he actually knows the stuff. 

Ah, but do have the perspective of a common voter, not someone entrenched.  And, after I accomplish what I've suggested, I leave.

I should also add that I was active several years ago,  when I was LT. Gov. of the Northeast, and have voted in the last three elections.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 03:23:19 PM »

Fantastic! Grin
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 03:29:33 PM »

There definitely are some things in Atlasia that are hard to navigate, and I'm still finding things after having been here a year.  A lot of this I think we can improve by working on a good introduction to Atlasia thread and of course on the wiki - and that wouldn't necessarily have to be through the WH or Senate.  a topical index for statutes would be great to have. so you make some valid points though i'll be supporting non-joke candidates.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 04:52:25 PM »

There definitely are some things in Atlasia that are hard to navigate, and I'm still finding things after having been here a year.  A lot of this I think we can improve by working on a good introduction to Atlasia thread and of course on the wiki - and that wouldn't necessarily have to be through the WH or Senate.  a topical index for statutes would be great to have. so you make some valid points though i'll be supporting non-joke candidates.

Like I said, my campaign is a joke, but the issues are not.  By "joke campaign" I mean poor run, not one intended to dazzle folks or to make ideological points, or one that I have any chance of winning.  I am quite serious about what I want to do, however.

Some of the codification of laws would have to be from the Senate.

Another point, along with that, would be a codification of executive orders.  If elected, I intend to order the establishment of a thread, both for signed (and veto overridden) laws and executive orders, to start the process.

I generally believe in smaller government, but also more accessible government.  I'm not going to be leftist or rightist.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 04:59:26 PM »

As I've said a lot recently, there is no evidence that arbitrarily small government provides better outcomes, nor bloated mega-bureaucracies.

It's always case-by-case, so I want effective government, and I don't care whether it's big or small, as long as it delivers to the citizens what they expect from us.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 05:45:49 PM »

As I've said a lot recently, there is no evidence that arbitrarily small government provides better outcomes, nor bloated mega-bureaucracies.

It's always case-by-case, so I want effective government, and I don't care whether it's big or small, as long as it delivers to the citizens what they expect from us.

As I said, generally.  The Atlasia government is fairly small, but it tends to produce very hard to follow rules, that are next to impossible to research, except for a select few.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 07:20:49 PM »

Now that would be refreshing and convenient but also very time consuming and difficult to assemble. It would also take a while.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 04:07:20 AM »

Not endorsed. Systematically vetoing bills is exactly what a responsible President should absolutely not do.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 04:39:07 AM »

Not endorsed. Systematically vetoing bills is exactly what a responsible President should absolutely not do.

Well, J.J., you're basically promising to first block entire legislative process, and then just to resign in office.

So my question is basically:

WHAT THE F**K?!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 08:45:34 AM »

Well, J.J., you're basically promising to first block entire legislative process, and then just to resign in office.

So my question is basically:

WHAT THE F**K?!

Well, I will block legislation until there is a codification of the election rules, which should be easily done.  Some things can be done through executive orders, like creating a thread for passed legislation.

Get in, improve, and get out. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 02:57:33 PM »

Forcing the Senate to do what you want it to do is not what a President should do in a well-functioning republic. This is a characterized abuse of power, and the fact you consider it a normal thing for a President to do makes you unfit for that position.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 03:14:58 PM »

Forcing the Senate to do what you want it to do is not what a President should do in a well-functioning republic. This is a characterized abuse of power, and the fact you consider it a normal thing for a President to do makes you unfit for that position.

It is not even close to abuse of power, but a power granted in the Constitution.  Had you been familiar with the Constitution, which I will admit can difficult find in the mess that is Atlasia's laws, you would realize that.

What I propose is not to force any changes, though I would support deregistration, but to require codification.

This is more of an administrative matter than a political one.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 04:21:48 PM »

It is not even close to abuse of power, but a power granted in the Constitution.

Abuse Sad noun (/əˈbjuːs/)
1 the improper use of something.

The use you intend to make of the veto power is improper.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 05:34:25 PM »

It gets even worse when you know that what J. J. seeks to achieve by doing this, has already been done basically.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Election_Administrator_Guidebook

Oh, gee is that a list of relevant election statutes? IS that the process of conducting elections? Wow.

Thanks Teddy!!!! (And anyone else who worked on this)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 05:57:05 PM »

It gets even worse when you know that what J. J. seeks to achieve by doing this, has already been done basically.

Oh, gee is that a list of relevant election statutes? IS that the process of conducting elections? Wow.

Actually, only partly about what I suggested.  Nothing on registration requirements.  Not readily available on a sticky.

Your comments are illustrative of the problem.  It is information that is available to people that live on this site, but not the majority of the voters.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 06:04:23 PM »

Actually, only partly about what I suggested.  Nothing on registration requirements.  Not readily available on a sticky.

Your comments are illustrative of the problem.  It is information that is available to people that live on this site, but not the majority of the voters.

1. Its on the front page of the Wiki. If you can't read through the first page of the wiki and find something on it, then maybe one needs to reassess their committment. At some point, the quest for better accessility, becomes a convenient cover for laziness.

2. You can't sticky everything. It will ruin the board. Remember the complaints about the Congressional Board on election night. We are already at the max. If you want this stuff posted somewhere's else, I would suggest requiring the SoFE to post it on the first page of his thread (which is stickied).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 06:13:23 PM »

1. Its on the front page of the Wiki. If you can't read through the first page of the wiki and find something on it, then maybe one needs to reassess their committment. At some point, the quest for better accessility, becomes a convenient cover for laziness.

You have to find Wiki first, and it still doesn't talk about registration.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You can sticky one thread with a centralized voting requirement law on it.  You can, instead of littering Atlasia with scattered statute, have one thread where the adopted statute exists.

You could even have one centrally located sticky thread with links to other threads, if you don't want to sticky more than one.  The concept is called an indexRoll Eyes
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 06:15:29 PM »

Registration requirements are right here

First post on the first page of a STICKIED thread, IN BOLD.

What the hell more do you want?

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 06:17:32 PM »

You have to find Wiki first, and it still doesn't talk about registration.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You can sticky one thread with a centralized voting requirement law on it.  You can, instead of littering Atlasia with scattered statute, have one thread where the adopted statute exists.

You could even have one centrally located sticky thread with links to other threads, if you don't want to sticky more than one.  The concept is called an indexRoll Eyes

Its one thing to propose ideas to improve something. Its another to create some hysterical outrage out of nothing to get attention.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 06:20:38 PM »

There are several links to the wiki on that introduction thread. The first one being the constitution.

Why the hell am I promoting and selling Marokai's hard work? Oh yea, he left. Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 07:35:35 PM »

How about a single codified statute like I suggested.  Roll Eyes

There are several links to the wiki on that introduction thread. The first one being the constitution.

Which does not include the regulations; that was the first place I went.  That is the problem with insiders like you and Tmth, you where the stuff is, but you don't think about the average or new member's perspective.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 07:41:34 PM »

How about a single codified statute like I suggested.  Roll Eyes

Which does not include the regulations; that was the first place I went.  That is the problem with insiders like you and Tmth, you where the stuff is, but you don't think about the average or new member's perspective.

A codified statute is fine. I was just referring to the inability to find stuff and you mentioned voter registration requirements.

How would your sticky threads be different then Marokai's? Why is his "unfindable" while your proposals would be different?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies