Second Presidential Debate, Feb. 8 - Feb 12 (CLOSING STATEMENTS)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:58:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Second Presidential Debate, Feb. 8 - Feb 12 (CLOSING STATEMENTS)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Second Presidential Debate, Feb. 8 - Feb 12 (CLOSING STATEMENTS)  (Read 1575 times)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2011, 02:16:35 PM »
« edited: February 11, 2011, 07:06:41 PM by The Right Honourable Director of Halifax, Lt. Gov The Doctor »

Hello to all of Atlasia from The Voice!  To continue the series of debates The Independent started in conjunction with The Voice, the Second Presidential Debate is today!  At 1 PM PST, all candidates have a three hour time limit to give their opening statements before we move onto the subject of game reform.

I have created this thread early on the possibility that I will not be here at 1 PM.  However, I will be on when the deadline for opening statements is up.

Currently, we have the JCP candidate Governor Oakvale, the RPP/POP candidate Governor Tmthforu94.  If there are any other candidates that wish to participate, please post here before the debate begins.

I will allow each candidate to respond to each other as long as debate remains civil.  Outside comments are also warranted under the same rule.  

Bon chance tout le monde! Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 04:00:12 PM »

For the second time now, thank you, Archangel, for hosting this debate. And thank you to Oakvale, as well as any future candidates, for agreeing to do this debate. Smiley

I’m running in this election to give Atlasia an active, center-right administration. I have outlined various positions of mine throughout this campaign, and I hope to be able to go more in-depth on some of them during the debate. One new issue I think needs to be addresed in the game - with the departure of the member in charge of “Introduction to Atlasia”, I think it is essential that we quickly establish a new introduction thread. I hope to be able to expand on the current Intro thread by showing a list of clearly defined rules to the game - qualifications for running for various offices, how to get on the “Do Not PM list”, and many others.

A lot of the problems currently facing the game deal with game reform, and will have to be solved no matter who the next President is. I hope to use this debate to work with my fellow candidates on discussing and debating possible solutions to the problems we face.

Thank you, and Dave Bless!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 05:24:51 PM »

I'll be brief!

First of all, my thanks to Archangel and The Independent for hosting this second debate. I know the first one was something of a logistical nightmare, so it great that a second one got off the ground at all. Smiley

A lot's changed since that debate (the most prominent candidate dropping out springs to mind)  but Atlasia's flaws remain fundamentally the same - legislative lethargy, inactivity, absurd barriers to new members... I'm running to give this game the shot in the arm it so desperately needs. I'm grateful for the opportunity to clearly outline my ideas for winning the futu fixing Atlasia.

Every candidate for President in my time here has talked about "game reform", but we've unfortunately seen few results. I look forward to discussing opportunities for genuine reform with my opponent.

Speaking of, I'd like to second Tmth's call for an updated Introduction thread, and give him the appropriate kudos for taking the initiative on that.

Anyway, thank you, and I'm excited about getting down to brass tacks. Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:38:52 PM »

First, let me thank the Independent.

Hi, I'm J. J.  I'm running for president and my campaign is a joke.  I mean my campaign, not the issues I'm going to raise.  I'm not as polished as these other two guys.  In Atlasian terms, I'm an average guy.  That average guy perspective, the guy who shows up, and wants to find out more about how Atlasia works, is what I'm bring. 

I'm happy to see that Governor Oakvale has expressed an interest in getting more people involved and Tmthforu94 wants to improve accessibility.  Both go hand in hand.  However, both are too close to the system.

If elected my first priority will be to codify the voting rules so a nonmember, or an uninformed member, like me, can find the information quickly.  My second priority will be to have a thread of adopted legislation, so that someone browsing can see what is going on, and find it quickly.

This is neither a leftist nor rightest approach; it is a practical approach. 

My third priority, after getting these things done, or at least well on the way, will to resign.  That is definitely not a political approach.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 07:18:49 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2011, 07:26:21 PM by The Right Honourable Director of Halifax, Lt. Gov The Doctor »

Thank you to all the candidates for their opening statements.  We will now move on to the subject of Game Reform with these two questions:

What is the most important aspect of game reform you wish to push through in your administration?

Do you believe that the current voting system is ideal?  Why or why not?

And I would also like to thank the candidates on behalf of The Voice, for the praise and the punctuality to respond in time. Smiley

An hour to respond.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2011, 08:49:29 PM by J. J. »

Mine is centralized information on voting rules.  Recently there was a referral to a "do not PM" list for political PM's.  It is here:

How many of you even knew that there was such a list, buried in a 6 week old post on page 14 of the thread?

I recently tried to research the issue of voter registration, trying to find the statute.  It was next to impossible to find.  That needs to be codified by the Senate in one document and given a sticky position.

Second, it is difficult to find what legislation exists and when it has been passed.  I was told, by my opponent, Tmthforu94, yesterday, that a bill was enacted.  As of today, no record of it passing or signing exists.

We need a thread to list the enacted laws of Atlasia, also in a sticky position.  And one for executive orders as well.  These things must be done to insure that citizens have access to the basic rules of the game.

I should add that, while I wish to see codification, I disagree with one of my opponents in lowering the registration requirement.  You can never tell when one of those nominal members will become active and try to change the world.  Wink
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 08:57:27 PM »

J.J.'s just pointed out a question I've been waiting to ask, I will end tonight's round early at 7 PM, give around 12 hours for people to catch up.

What is the usefulness of the Wiki in your eyes?

Do you wish to implement it more into Atlasia?

Are the current legislative proceedings ideal?

How would you currently improve the inactivity issue in Atlasia?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 09:30:23 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2011, 09:41:47 PM by J. J. »

J.J.'s just pointed out a question I've been waiting to ask, I will end tonight's round early at 7 PM, give around 12 hours for people to catch up.

What is the usefulness of the Wiki in your eyes?

Do you wish to implement it more into Atlasia?

I think it is very useful, and one of the better organized sources in Atlasia.

I think, as a practical matter, the expansion of it will be slow, and I think the "sticky steps" would be a practical, if ultimately temporary solution.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think that is a matter for the Senate, but disseminating the information is at least more the role of the executive.

I thought I had, by running.  Wink

The idea of more centralized information may help.  It explains what you have to do to join.  I'd actually link to Wiki more.

There is perhaps another issue.  I've gotten the sense that there are basically two parties in Atlasia, them and us.  "Them" is those people in the political class.  "Us" are just the normal members who rarely seek office.  I hope that my candidacy will change that.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 12:25:22 AM »

I think my biggest accomplishment would be to reform the Game Moderator position. Several ideas have been presented before me, all of them very good. I hope this debate will be just one of many instances where we can discuss and debate which idea is the best. The idea I originally had consisted of creating two GM’s, each with different focuses. Another idea I’ve heard, which I really like, is possibly making the SoEA and SoIA either “Co-GM’s” or assistants. It’d certainly bring some relevance to the positions, especially SoIA, a position many want to do away with.

I think most would agree with me that a private ballot would be the most ideal, however, it’s unrealistic. The chances of fraud would be very high in that situation. Therefore, I’d never support changing the current system of public ballots.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 05:56:59 PM »

The Wiki is extremely useful for anyone who wants to learn about the game’s history, as well as if a new member who wants to learn how things operate. If I am ever talking to a newbie, I always make sure to refer them to the Wiki.

I do. As Governor, I made it a priority to keep the entire Mideast page as up-to-date as possible, making at least an update or two every couple of weeks. I think the bill proposed by Senator Bgwah for a Wiki Article of the Month is a great way to encourage user involvement.  Hopefully, no matter who is President, we can try and get more active citizens involved in updating the Wiki, and hopefully we’ll see less and less stub articles.

I’d say so. On any important piece of legislation that reaches my desk, I’ll make a few sentence comment on why I’m signing or vetoing the bill. I did something similar to that as Governor of the Mideast region, and I think it’s a great way to try and get citizens to
understand what the bill will do.

Hopefully one way to help get activity going in the government is to reform the GM position so both the Senate and regional legislatures can have more to work with. On top of that, I would support a small reduction of posts required to join Atlasia to try and avoid spamming. Perhaps 69 would be a good number? Tongue

Something else that was discussed earlier in this campaign was the idea of a “Welcoming Committee”. I personally love this idea, and will lead a charge to get that started up within the first week or two of my administration. This program would help smooth the transition for new members interested in getting active in Atlasia, and hopefully instead of newbies voting a couple times then falling off the rolls, they’ll stay active. I think a great way to encourage that activity is encouraging them to run for regional legislatures. I have first hand experience in that area, and I know that regional legislatures are a great way to get a newbie active. Wink

I’m sure my opponents also have other ideas I may not have mentioned on how we can stimulate the game. I don’t care who proposes the idea, if I like it, I’d try and implement in my administration. This election should be about a collaboration of ideas, and that’s what I hope to make it.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 05:58:50 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2011, 07:46:30 PM by The Right Honourable Director of Halifax, Lt. Gov The Doctor »

We will continue from where we left off yesterday, to finish off game reform.

Do you believe that Atlasia is oversimplified or overcomplicated?

and

What is your ideal vision for Atlasia after your presidency?

Deadline @ 5:10 PM.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 07:58:58 PM »

Neither.  Atlasia is a lot like Algebra - it seems complicated at first, but once you spend some time with it, it becomes much easier (and it also seems pointless at times).  The general gist of Atlasia - an election and government sim - works quite well.  Certain things can be simplified, and we need a better introductory thread, but on balance, things work well now.

A game in which people are active, actually pay attention (especially to foreign policy) and do not immediately accuse every new poster of being a sock.  I dream of an Atlasia where people are not harassed to the point of being forced out just because they are new, and I really would like to see more competitive elections, with no one party regions anymore.  But, on whole, an Atlasia that is similar to the one we have now, with some slight improvements.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »

Especially compared to other political simulations, I don’t think this game is overcomplicated. Obviously, it’s a bit overwhelming to someone new to the game, but they should be expecting that. I think the Introduction to Atlasia thread is a great service for new members, as I remember using it myself. I also think the idea of a Welcoming Committee could also be very beneficial to helping new members get adjusted.

I would like to see Atlasia more active, and I think just about every candidate would great that’d be a prime objective. Wink By the end of my Presidency, I’d like to at least see substantial reform to the GM position, a better transition for new members into the game, and more of a focus on foreign policy than the current. We also need more buildings in Atlasia named after Senator Duke!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 08:18:52 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2011, 08:23:20 PM by J. J. »

Well, if I can expand on the algebra analogy of my opponent, nobody I went to high school with has an advanced degree in mathematics.

I played war games in high school.  I played AD&D in college.  I was a bureaucrat dealing with three sets of welfare regulations.  I now advise groups on parliamentary procedure.  I have never seen such a total mess of regulations as I have in Atlasia!

A non political one, that will put the interest of Atlasia before his desire to run for re-election.  One who willing to accomplish a goal, and then move on.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 08:20:28 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2011, 08:29:18 PM by The Right Honourable Director of Halifax, Lt. Gov The Doctor »

Moving on, we will now push into other questions.

Is Atlasia's national security adequate?  Have the latest terrorist attacks proven just how vulnerable we are?

Is the current national legislature the most ideal?  How would you like it changed?

Do you believe Atlasia should be a much larger force in international intervention efforts?

Deadline: 5:50 PM.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 08:39:13 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2011, 08:41:46 PM by J. J. »

Moving on, we will now push into other questions.

Is Atlasia's national security adequate?  Have the latest terrorist attacks proven just how vulnerable we are?

Is the current national legislature the most ideal?  How would you like it changed?

Do you believe Atlasia should be a much larger force in international intervention efforts?

It terms of game security, there are two problems.

1.  Sock accounts, and I think there is adequate security.

2.  Apathy.  There is always the possibility of uninformed voters being recruited for personal political gain of a candidate or a political party just to sway elections (I know, I use to be one).  One advantage to making things more open and accessible is to interest more people in playing because the want to.  The uniformed members become informed voters.

We will always have mock attacks and mock solutions, but the danger to the game is from false or apathetic voters.

I do disagree with Tmth on the lowering of the post threshold.  I think that would only exasperate the apathetic voter problem.

Is the current national legislature the most ideal?  How would you like it changed?

I think we may need a shorter time to approve legislation; one piece of legislation has been hanging in mid vote for three days now. 

No.  Fantasy wars are not the true threat to this simulation.

What time zone?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 08:47:28 PM »

Didn't see deadline until a few minutes ago! Tongue

Is Atlasia's national security adequate?  Have the latest terrorist attacks proven just how vulnerable we are?
I’m generally pleased with our national security system, though I do believe security should be strengthened in all federal offices to help prevent another bombing in the future.

If we had a larger and more active body of citizens, I would support creating a second chamber. Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re at the activity levels needed to support that, so it’ll take a backburner in my administration. I support keeping the status quo in the Senate of 5 regional Senators and 5 at-large Senators.

No. I would only support war currently if we were attacked by another country or posed a serious threat. As I’ve said before, I support cuts in the defense department, and I think we’re currently spending way too much there, specifically in funding for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. I will be outlining those specific cuts later on in this debate.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »

Finally, before we move on to the third session, two more questions:

1.  What is your opinion of the recent events surrounding the major political parties of Atlasia?

2.  Will your focus as President be on the in-game aspect or the real world aspect?  What is the most integral part of this focus?

After 7 PM PST, the session will fold into an open-debate form.  In this case, the candidates are now free to communicate amongst each other, as well as outside observers.  If things become disorderly, I will shut down the session immediately.

The open-debate will last until I get back on tomorrow (approximately 7:30 AM PST)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 09:55:21 PM »

I’m generally pleased with our national security system, though I do believe security should be strengthened in all federal offices to help prevent another bombing in the future.

If we had a larger and more active body of citizens, I would support creating a second chamber. Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re at the activity levels needed to support that, so it’ll take a backburner in my administration. I support keeping the status quo in the Senate of 5 regional Senators and 5 at-large Senators.

No. I would only support war currently if we were attacked by another country or posed a serious threat. As I’ve said before, I support cuts in the defense department, and I think we’re currently spending way too much there, specifically in funding for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. I will be outlining those specific cuts later on in this debate.

In accordance with previous Presidential actions actually I believe we are already out of both.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 09:57:31 PM »

1.  What is your opinion of the recent events surrounding the major political parties of Atlasia?

Oy vey.  I think people need to realize that we cannot have parties in Atlasia the way some want - organizations that people will always fall behind.  We are too independent for that.  I don't think parties are a bad thing, but we have to recognize reality.

As for my party specifically, there seems to be a lot of false controversy.  We held a primary, and all candidates did abide by the results.  I fail to see the issue - even now, with a discussion over the new nominee, there is no acrimony; it is all made up.

2.  Will your focus as President be on the in-game aspect or the real world aspect?  What is the most integral part of this focus?

My focus - foreign policy - does both.  I've explained, in depth, why I think foreign policy can increase the in-game and real world portions of the game.  People will get interested in foreign affairs, and then be more active in the game, and the cycle will continue.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 09:59:16 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2011, 10:01:26 PM by J. J. »

Finally, before we move on to the third session, two more questions:

I think you are seeing the problems of Atlasian politics.  This might be called attack of the Zombie.  Today it is, in all honesty, affecting the RPP, but tomorrow it can affect any or all parties.  Two people have, by their candidacy and advocacy, without any organization or planning, destabilized the political situation.  Not because we're good, or smart, or popular.  It is because the political situation is so fragile the slightest change will shatter it.

I will admit to being an angry Atlasian, but I am more angry at the system in Atlasia that I am at any individual or group. 

We have political leaders that warn of political retribution against someone who wants nothing to do with politics after this election (and won't be staying, win or lose) .  We have much more experienced members who can't find statutes relating to basic rights of members.  It is troubling to see this senators, former office holders, party chairmen, generally in the party that is more supportive of individual rights and open government.  It can only be worse in the parties that value the state over the individual or the region.

We have a focus on "left" and "right" while Atlasia sinks in a quagmire of laws seemingly lost in cyberspace.  I've and my running mate been accused of trying to split the right and the left, by the right and the left.

We can have those arguments after we have those left and right arguments after we get the game running and have a participatory electorate that won't fall apart at the slightest wind.

If elected, I hope my tenure will be brief.  While Cincinatus returned to the plow, if elected, I will resign and hopefully leave Atlasia, once the reforms have started.  My focus will not be on fantasies but on building a structure where others can more easily, and more fairly, live out their fantasy political lives, fully informed.  My brief will be solely be focused on improving the game.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 10:28:06 PM »

In accordance with previous Presidential actions actually I believe we are already out of both.
Yet it was still included in the recent budget.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 10:40:52 PM »

At the risk of looking completely out of touch (which I am):

1.  When did the hostilities end?

2.  When does the fiscal year end?

Also, were there any "cleanup" costs like rebuilding, transporting the troops back?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 10:45:42 AM »

Due to some very urgent business, I will extend open debate until I get back.  Sorry guys, I don't have much of a time approximation for this one.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »

I think the emergence of a new party has certainly breathed some life into the game. While many feel this election has consisted of much drama and silliness, at the same time, this has been one of the most active election cycles in recent memory.

I hope that the levels of activity currently being displayed by all political parties will continue on into the next four months, but be used in a more positive and less dramatic manner.

My administration will place more of an emphasis on reforming the game itself, but we're also going to try and play the game as well. Both of these work hand in hand, so I can't really say I'll exclude one of them in my administration.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies