The NY-26 Election. Have fun but keep your shirt on.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:51:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The NY-26 Election. Have fun but keep your shirt on.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19
Author Topic: The NY-26 Election. Have fun but keep your shirt on.  (Read 49721 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2011, 12:35:34 AM »

If the Green party endorsed the Democrat, that would certainly be news, since they tend to either run their own candidate, or no one.

Well, they have to petition to get on the ballot in most other states.  There's no sense petitioning to get on the ballot to cross-endorse someone.  Also, most states don't have fusion voting, like New York.  Minor parties can and do cross-endorse in New York - often.   The Independence Party is often up for grabs.

I guess looking back to what the NY Greens did in 1998-2002 might be informative - but I'm drawing a total blank about whether they cross-endorsed back then.  I do recall them holding a primary at least once.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2011, 01:31:16 AM »

If the Green party endorsed the Democrat, that would certainly be news, since they tend to either run their own candidate, or no one.

Well, they have to petition to get on the ballot in most other states.  There's no sense petitioning to get on the ballot to cross-endorse someone.  Also, most states don't have fusion voting, like New York.  Minor parties can and do cross-endorse in New York - often.   The Independence Party is often up for grabs.

I guess looking back to what the NY Greens did in 1998-2002 might be informative - but I'm drawing a total blank about whether they cross-endorsed back then.  I do recall them holding a primary at least once.

While the other minor parties with ballot status in New York quite often endorse the Democrat or the Republican, the Green party does not have a history of doing this.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2011, 02:18:33 PM »

It's worth noting that the TEA Party's problem here isn't that Corwin is too moderate, it's that the GOP didn't bow down and suck its **** during the selection process. They'll have trouble getting people to rally around that as a motivating reason for voting for a spoiler candidate.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2011, 02:19:35 PM »

While the other minor parties with ballot status in New York quite often endorse the Democrat or the Republican, the Green party does not have a history of doing this.

The Green Party has never had automatic ballot access before, so they always had to nominate their own candidate.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2011, 02:34:39 PM »

The Green Party has never had automatic ballot access before, so they always had to nominate their own candidate.

The New York Green Party had automatic ballot access from 1999-2002, after "Grandpa Munster" Al Lewis received enough votes in the 1998 gubernatorial race to put them on the ballot.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2011, 02:47:20 PM »

The New York Green Party had automatic ballot access from 1999-2002, after "Grandpa Munster" Al Lewis received enough votes in the 1998 gubernatorial race to put them on the ballot.

Oh, right. Okay, there is precedent. Not that I would expect the Greens to play ball for Fusion, anyway (and the Democrats probably wouldn't want them--"Working Families" sounds nice, but "Green" has strong connotations).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2011, 08:16:38 PM »

Redcommander gets his wish, I think: http://www.buffalonews.com/topics/chris-lee/article351895.ece
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2011, 08:19:30 PM »

Where there's smoke...
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2011, 02:56:57 PM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/davidcatanese/0311/Cuomo_calls_New_York_special_.html?showall

Special election = May 24.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2011, 05:25:55 PM »

From what I understand reading about the necessary law changes before today, although this law change only applies to special elections, the legislature is looking into changing our regular primary date as part of a separate bill.  The federal military ballot law makes holding primaries on the first Tuesday after Labor Day very difficult.  New York needed a waiver last cycle.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2011, 06:39:53 PM »

From what I understand reading about the necessary law changes before today, although this law change only applies to special elections, the legislature is looking into changing our regular primary date as part of a separate bill.  The federal military ballot law makes holding primaries on the first Tuesday after Labor Day very difficult.  New York needed a waiver last cycle.

That is true, though part of the reason the waver was needed was due to the late party switching and jumping around that went with Paladino getting the Conservative line after Lazio won the Conservative Primary.```
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2011, 06:46:41 PM »

That is true, though part of the reason the waver was needed was due to the late party switching and jumping around that went with Paladino getting the Conservative line after Lazio won the Conservative Primary.```

I hope it doesn't happen.  August isn't the time to be holding primaries.  Too many people are on vacation.  There has to be a better way to get the military absentee ballots out on time.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2011, 11:11:10 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2011, 11:17:47 PM by Lunar »

http://www.capitaltonight.com/2011/03/corwin-lands-row-e/

There are three special elections for the state legislature in Brooklyn alone that are now more interesting than NY-26 at this point.
danny
Israel

« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2011, 09:32:41 AM »

LOL, Jack Davis is now collecting signatures for a tea party run.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2011, 10:16:18 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2011, 10:18:18 AM by cinyc »

LOL, Jack Davis is now collecting signatures for a tea party run.

Good luck with that.  The petition requirements are strict and technical faults are usually held against a non-designated party person trying to get on the ballot (3,500 valid signatures in 12 days, properly witnessed, signed and in the proper format).  The TEA party isn't a major party in New York with automatic ballot access, which means anyone could claim to run on the "tea party" line by circulating petitions claiming as such and receiving enough valid signatures to get on the ballot.  That's what Davis is doing.
danny
Israel

« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2011, 12:43:28 PM »

Good luck with that.  The petition requirements are strict and technical faults are usually held against a non-designated party person trying to get on the ballot (3,500 valid signatures in 12 days, properly witnessed, signed and in the proper format).  The TEA party isn't a major party in New York with automatic ballot access, which means anyone could claim to run on the "tea party" line by circulating petitions claiming as such and receiving enough valid signatures to get on the ballot.  That's what Davis is doing.

Yeah I know that New York signature rules are tough, but Davis has promised to spend millions on this run so he could simply pay enough people to gather his signatures. Speaking of Davis, it looks like he's going after the racist vote.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2011, 06:45:09 PM »

Yeah I know that New York signature rules are tough, but Davis has promised to spend millions on this run so he could simply pay enough people to gather his signatures. Speaking of Davis, it looks like he's going after the racist vote.

You can spend thousands and still not get the needed number of signatures in such a short period. 

Davis isn't going after the racist vote - the Republican party is trying to destroy him before he even gets on the ballot.   Something Murkowski should have done in Alaska and Castle in Delaware, instead of ignoring their primary opponents.

Corwin has money, too, and she's certainly no Dede Scozzafava.  Corwin is the second-most conservative Assemblyman and very much in the good graces of the Conservative Party.  I just don't think any minor-party candidate has a realistic shot, regardless of the money he or she spends.  And I doubt he'd peel enough votes away from Corwin to let the still-unnamed Democrat win. 

Maybe Davis can buy the Green Party line, should it be up for sale.
danny
Israel

« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2011, 12:51:14 PM »

You can spend thousands and still not get the needed number of signatures in such a short period. 

Davis isn't going after the racist vote - the Republican party is trying to destroy him before he even gets on the ballot.   Something Murkowski should have done in Alaska and Castle in Delaware, instead of ignoring their primary opponents.

Corwin has money, too, and she's certainly no Dede Scozzafava.  Corwin is the second-most conservative Assemblyman and very much in the good graces of the Conservative Party.  I just don't think any minor-party candidate has a realistic shot, regardless of the money he or she spends.  And I doubt he'd peel enough votes away from Corwin to let the still-unnamed Democrat win. 

Maybe Davis can buy the Green Party line, should it be up for sale.

I didn't literally mean he is going after the racist vote just that he is racist himself, and while I  am sure that the Republicans are going after him his spokesman did confirm what he said.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »

Hey, the Democrats picked a candidate finally! It's Erie County Clerk Kathy Hochul.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2011, 07:47:20 AM »

Things just got a little interesting: Jack Davis may actually be getting on the ballot.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2011, 07:49:42 AM »

So, that means it's safe Corwin ... ?

Or is that Davis guy a strongly conservative Democrat ?

I wish PPP would poll there, or even Siena College ...
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2011, 08:01:40 AM »

Davis has run as a Democrat before, but he only ran on one issue: protectionism. I believe he tried to get considered for the Republican nomination this time. He's kind of crazy, but he has a lot of money, which is a big head start when the election is only in a couple months.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2011, 09:25:50 AM »

There doesn't seem to be much "there" there.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2011, 10:55:15 AM »

12,000 signatures when the requirement is 3,500? Even in New York, that's got to be a pretty good chance of getting on the ballot.
HST1948

« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2011, 05:24:13 PM »

So, that means it's safe Corwin ... ?

Or is that Davis guy a strongly conservative Democrat ?

Being from the area, I believe that Davis would hurt Corwin a lot more than he would help her.  He is extremely conservative and would spend a lot of his own money to court the conserveative vote in this election.  Very few, if any Hochul supporters would rush to vote for Davis if he was on the ballot, even though he ran as a Democrat for this seat before.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies