The NY-26 Election. Have fun but keep your shirt on. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:30:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The NY-26 Election. Have fun but keep your shirt on. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The NY-26 Election. Have fun but keep your shirt on.  (Read 49772 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:25:37 PM »

That comparison really can't be applied to NY-26 because Davis takes away votes nearly equally from Corwin and Hochul. There was a clear split field between Case and Hanabusa where both candidates split the Democratic vote nearly equally. Notice that Hochul has better favorable ratings than Corwin and that voters only barely prefer a Republican over a Democrat, I think Hochul would be leading Corwin even with Davis out of the trace.

If anything, if Davis voters were forced to pick between Corwin and Hochul, I'd expect them to chose Hochul by a decent margin.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 09:47:14 PM »

Would you like the new Congressman from our district to caucus with the Democrats or the Republicans in Congress?
Democrats 39%
Republicans 41%
Not Sure 20%

Do you have more faith in Barack Obama or Congressional Republicans to lead the country in the right direction?
Barack Obama 44%
Congressional Republicans 45%
Not Sure 11%

Ouch...
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 04:58:35 PM »

Kathy Hochul 47%
Jane Corwin 41%
Jack Davis 11%
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 08:32:07 PM »

Hochul really needs to improve in Niagara.

Taking a look at the precincts in Niagara that are in it looks like Hochul is outperforming Obama.

Where are you finding the detailed precinct results for Niagara?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 08:35:19 PM »

Livingston is close, which is bad news for Corwin. I wonder if some of these rural ultra GOP counties are like the heavily Republican counties in Central and Western PA, all the dems come in first then the Republicans overwhelm them ending with GOP wins by 2-1 and 3-1 margins. 

Livingston isn't an ultra GOP county though, it gave Obama 45% of the vote so these current results are consistent with what the results are showing in Monroe and Erie.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 08:39:08 PM »

Apparently results for Lockport and North Tonawanda aren't in yet for Niagara County. I don't see how Corwin could possibly win if she's doing that poorly in her home base areas of Niagara (I'm pretty sure she represents Lockport and the outlying areas in Albany).  
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 09:32:50 PM »

Another lame spoiler election. It worked in my party's favor this time, but it's still stupid...

It's definitely not a spoiler election because Davis wasn't running on a Tea Party platform, he was running on a protectionist/anti-Paul Ryan plan platform.

lol though read Red State's spin on the election here: http://www.redstate.com/erick/2011/05/24/the-gop-loss-in-new-york-was-about-new-york-not-paul-ryan/
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 10:02:52 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2011, 10:05:11 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

NY-20 happened when Democrats were still leading the GOP in Generic Republican vs. Generic Democrat polls and when the stimulus was really popular. We should have held NY-20 because of the national climate in early 2009.

NY-23, yet again, was entirely different. The district is much more favorable to Obama and was trending our way for years. It's of a totally different character. On top of that, there was a real spoiler effect with some uninformed voters still voting for Scozzafava, Hoffman ran a terrible and pretty extremist teabagger campaign that wasn't going to fly in NY-23. PPP got the race wrong because they used a wrong turnout model.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies