The NY-26 Election. Have fun but keep your shirt on. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:55:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The NY-26 Election. Have fun but keep your shirt on. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The NY-26 Election. Have fun but keep your shirt on.  (Read 49808 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: February 10, 2011, 01:21:11 AM »

it'd be interesting for any Republican or Democratic State Senator to run for this race, because if they won, they could throw off the balance of the State Senate.

Kennedy is the only State Senate Democrat even close to the district, his home isn't in NY-26, and I don't even think any of his State Senate district is in NY-26/

California State Senator Tom McClintock got elected to a House seat hundreds of miles from his district.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:12:54 PM »

The problem, and the article notes this, is that the Tea Party isn't going to get the Conservative line if Corwin is chosen (as opposed to Maziarz or Robach).  Which leaves them trying to either create their own line again or buy the Independence party line (as that seems to be the way to get it these days)

Seems to me like the Tea Party people are just asleep at the switch.

This will probably be the first election testing how buyable the Green Party line is, too.  It will likely be the first major election in which that party has automatic ballot access since 2002.

One would think that the Tea Party would be smart enough to understand that it is unlikely to be successful getting its point across to its people through the Green Party, but what do I know...

I wasn't necessarily thinking the Tea Party would try to buy the line (though you can't rule it out).  Instead, I was thinking it will be interesting to see if the Greens cross-endorse the Democrat or run their own candidate, as their gubernatorial candidate claimed they would often try to do if they won major party status.

If the Green party endorsed the Democrat, that would certainly be news, since they tend to either run their own candidate, or no one.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 01:31:16 AM »

If the Green party endorsed the Democrat, that would certainly be news, since they tend to either run their own candidate, or no one.

Well, they have to petition to get on the ballot in most other states.  There's no sense petitioning to get on the ballot to cross-endorse someone.  Also, most states don't have fusion voting, like New York.  Minor parties can and do cross-endorse in New York - often.   The Independence Party is often up for grabs.

I guess looking back to what the NY Greens did in 1998-2002 might be informative - but I'm drawing a total blank about whether they cross-endorsed back then.  I do recall them holding a primary at least once.

While the other minor parties with ballot status in New York quite often endorse the Democrat or the Republican, the Green party does not have a history of doing this.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 10:18:08 PM »

Wow, this is big. This was one of only 2 districts in the state that Democrats hadn't manage to win yet.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies