UK AV Referendum Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:46:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK AV Referendum Poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16
Poll
Question: Do you want the United Kingdom to adopt the 'alternative vote' system instead of the current 'first past the post' system for electing Members of Parliament to the House of Commons?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: UK AV Referendum Poll  (Read 39493 times)
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: April 22, 2011, 10:23:22 AM »

The assumption that electoral reform must be a boon to the Left (however defined) and damaging to the Tories is based on assumptions about the political views of long-term Centre voters that, with certain important exceptions (like the decade after Black Wednesday), are based more on wishful thinking than much else.

You're right that AV wouldn't have been a help to the Left in '83 (disgustingly), but PR would've. Post-Foot, PR would've helped the Left enormously, even now when the Left's united there's no guarantee it'll do any good because there's no assurances that we'll get a left-of-centre platform from Labour.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #251 on: April 22, 2011, 10:51:43 AM »

and Thatcher's majorities would have been smaller for sure.

Such was the dream of the more constitutional-minded elements of the intellectual Left during the period. But I don't think so. How many Alliance voters would have second Pref'd scary, scary Michael Foot-led Labour in 1983? Quite a few who switched (SDPward, regardless of the candidate in their constituency) from Labour, probably. Despite everything. But how many long-term Liberal supporters? Almost certainly sod all. The assumption that electoral reform must be a boon to the Left (however defined) and damaging to the Tories is based on assumptions about the political views of long-term Centre voters that, with certain important exceptions (like the decade after Black Wednesday), are based more on wishful thinking than much else.

Personally I don't think there should be a referendum on the issue at all.

Ah of course, but I'm not saying Thatcher would have been defeated, or that 1983 would even have been close with AV, as I'm not a member of the group of people who think all Allince voters would unanimosly have second-prefered Labour, I still believe that there wouldn't have been a Conservative landslide. 

But I agree that it's silly to believe that Electoral Reform or AV would benefit the left more than the right.   
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #252 on: April 22, 2011, 06:41:52 PM »

The assumption that the Alliance would've all preferenced Labour is stupid. The Liberals are Tory inclined, the SDP (the "Democrats" of today) were Labour inclined. To put it simplistically.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #253 on: April 22, 2011, 11:02:10 PM »

The assumption that the Alliance would've all preferenced Labour is stupid. The Liberals are Tory inclined, the SDP (the "Democrats" of today) were Labour inclined. To put it simplistically.

Thankfully nobody here said otherwise.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #254 on: April 23, 2011, 04:38:22 AM »

Why so tight? Turnout differential with the Scottish and NI elections might help yes a bit compared to the polling, but really this thing ought to be over.

Just on the NI point, it will be interesting to see the results, but I'm not sure it can be presumed how NI will vote.

DUP and UUP are against AV.
SDLP, SF and Alliance are in favour.

Not that I have any idea how the party positions will impact upon things as it doesn't seem to be a campaign the parties are particularly concerned about.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #255 on: April 23, 2011, 06:53:37 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2011, 06:55:34 AM by Leftbehind »

That's weird, considering how splintered the unionist vote is I'd presumed they'd support it - obviously not.

But I agree that it's silly to believe that Electoral Reform or AV would benefit the left more than the right.

I disagree simply because the Left has not been represented anywhere near the amount it should've been since the 70's. AV wouldn't, I agree, but proper electoral reform to a proportional system would've massively helped the Left for the past 30 years.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #256 on: April 23, 2011, 08:11:41 AM »

That's weird, considering how splintered the unionist vote is I'd presumed they'd support it - obviously not.

What they really want is province-wide winner-take-all. Grin
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #257 on: April 23, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »

They seem to be playing a game of political chicken in which wishes to be the only Unionist party.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #258 on: April 23, 2011, 03:47:34 PM »

See Lewis's comment.

See also the comments by Mark Durkan (SDLP) from the AV Bill debate, on FPTP encouraging the maintenance of a sectarian electoral divide for Westminster elections in NI.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #259 on: April 24, 2011, 06:05:51 AM »

Clegg brands NO as a "nasty, right wing clique." I'm sure he'd know a thing or two about right wing cliques.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #260 on: April 24, 2011, 06:11:57 AM »

So another of the No campaign's arguments is that AV could lead to more votes for the BNP.  I guess democracy truly must be terrible in their eyes.  (Unless it's just fear-mongering propaganda, of course...)
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #261 on: April 24, 2011, 09:59:19 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2011, 10:02:07 AM by Refudiate »

Huhne posturing about resignation about the whole £250 million election machine claim.

...Wouldn't do the same about universities or the NHS? I guess that's the LibDem attitude all over.

Any resignation would probably be so he could challenge Clegg anyway.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #262 on: April 24, 2011, 12:05:19 PM »

Clegg brands NO as a "nasty, right wing clique." I'm sure he'd know a thing or two about right wing cliques.
He does and he's right. Tongue
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #263 on: April 24, 2011, 05:48:48 PM »

He does and he's right. Tongue

John Prescott would have a stroke if he read that. Tongue
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #264 on: April 24, 2011, 05:59:23 PM »

So another of the No campaign's arguments is that AV could lead to more votes for the BNP.  I guess democracy truly must be terrible in their eyes.  (Unless it's just fear-mongering propaganda, of course...)

What's ironic (beside the fact that you're entirely right) is that the BNP is far less likely to actually win a seat under AV than under FPTP.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #265 on: April 25, 2011, 04:40:12 AM »

Sadly, the clique is not only "right-wing".
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #266 on: April 26, 2011, 03:23:05 AM »

What's ironic (beside the fact that you're entirely right) is that the BNP is far less likely to actually win a seat under AV than under FPTP.
Quite. They actually have a reason to be opposed, beyond kneejerk reaction.
Well, if you assume that what happens at Westminster is likely to be reduplicated in local elections. How many BNP local wins would have happened with AV, I wonder? Not many.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #267 on: April 26, 2011, 05:56:20 AM »

As the nation moves into Royal Wedding fever, i'm assuming that most campaigning for the referendum is a bit moot now, so the new "Harm Cameron/Osbourne" approach of the Yes camp and Mandy's intervention is really too late... Competition for news space will be too fierce and the Tory media are hardly gonna be scrambling to give Yes-ers a big voice (no one reads The Guardian).

Referendum? What referendum?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #268 on: April 26, 2011, 09:46:13 AM »

A third poll showing No leading by 58 to 42:
http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/43873/conservative-voters-propel-no-to-new-heights-in-british-referendum/
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #269 on: April 26, 2011, 09:50:30 AM »

How many BNP local wins would have happened with AV, I wonder? Not many.

Local elections = low information elections, so more than you'd think, at least in any initial breakthrough. Less than under fptp, of course. But then they hardly won anything under fptp.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #270 on: April 26, 2011, 05:11:38 PM »

Made all the more damning by the fact that Angus Reid were one of the last to show AV in the lead when other pollsters were signalling NO gaining the upper hand.

Interesting to see various figures come out in recent days making direct appeals to Labour voters - to vote for their partisan interest. I've watched in amazement as Clegg and his merry Orange Bookers have done their utmost to extinguish any good feeling from Labour voters - the very same voters their AV hinges upon if it's to pass. Of course when AV's future started looking bleak he dismissed it as being not all that important to him, but that's been roundly disproven as he and his colleagues battle in an unprecedented scale during this coalition for it (something that again has registered terribly to Labour voters - a battle for self-interest but not his voters or the welfare state).

Some might blame YestoAV, but I think Clegg's played a shocking hand since May last year and I think it's now simply a case of how much his miserable little compromise loses by.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #271 on: April 26, 2011, 05:15:51 PM »

Given that the Tory leadership would have murdered their own children to form a government (slight exaggeration) he could have held out for a bit better than a referendum on a voting system that he doesn't like anyway, but the lure of getting into one of those plush ministerial cares as soon as possible was what it was. I suspect that the disappointment of the election itself may have been a factor in that, but given the LibDem incompetence during that, it's hardly an excuse.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #272 on: April 26, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »

Given that the Tory leadership would have murdered their own children to form a government (slight exaggeration) he could have held out for a bit better than a referendum on a voting system that he doesn't like anyway, but the lure of getting into one of those plush ministerial cares as soon as possible was what it was. I suspect that the disappointment of the election itself may have been a factor in that, but given the LibDem incompetence during that, it's hardly an excuse.

Doesn't the story go that the Liberals tried to hold out but that mean old Scotsman resigned before he was supposed to, so negotiations fell through?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #273 on: April 26, 2011, 05:27:17 PM »

Doesn't the story go that the Liberals tried to hold out but that mean old Scotsman resigned before he was supposed to, so negotiations fell through?

From Charles Kennedy;

"I admit that this coalition wasn’t exactly my preferred option. I’ve always considered myself in the reforming, centre-left tradition, so a centre-right arrangement puts my compass in a spin … But those of us who genuinely wanted to explore other routes—from a rainbow coalition to a minority tory administration— were sunk when figures like David Blunkett and John Reid were so against it. I’m in no doubt that a sizeable swathe within Labour were happier in the luxury of opposition, knowing how hard economically things would be. Much of their outrage at coalition decisions they would have probably taken themselves is synthetic at best."
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #274 on: April 26, 2011, 05:29:30 PM »

But why would Brown resigning force them to stop demanding a referendum (a compromise itself) on proportional voting systems in exchange for a coalition?

I think CS is absolutely right; not only was this a once in a generation opportunity simply because it threw out a rarity - a hung parliament - in which the Lib Dems held significant influence, but because the Tories were desperate to get in and there's no way they could enact half of their policies on a minority, making a coalition/C+S a must.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies