US House Redistricting: Iowa
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:32:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Iowa
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Iowa  (Read 26087 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 09:30:17 PM »

i'm not sure which is a better idea for democrats:

Drawing four districts horizontally to get rid of king

OR

draw a vote sink district for King to make 3 safe dem districts

They don't really get to pick, for the most part.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »

And the latter is obviously better anyway as Boswell is a weak incumbent who couldn't beat Latham or King in a relatively marginal district.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 10:21:30 AM »

The proposed map is out.

http://www.legis.iowa.gov/DOCS/Resources/Redist/2011/2011-03-31/Plan1_SmallMap_Congress.pdf

It will probably be rejected by Republicans since it puts together King and Latham.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 10:30:57 AM »

That looks like a gift to the Republicans in the western half, at least--it cracks the 5th district's Republicans links Des Moines to conservative areas. I'll bet this makes Boswell even more vulnerable. I don't know if that district overlaps at all with the one he represented in the 1990s.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2011, 10:37:31 AM »

That looks like a gift to the Republicans in the western half, at least--it cracks the 5th district's Republicans links Des Moines to conservative areas. I'll bet this makes Boswell even more vulnerable. I don't know if that district overlaps at all with the one he represented in the 1990s.

District 3 is about 52.5% Bush, but Latham doesn't live there. Hard to see how you fit Story County into that district, though.

I'd probably approve this.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2011, 10:46:53 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2011, 10:50:17 AM by brittain33 »

The 3rd has no incumbent other than Boswell, who is both weak and has already moved districts once before to represent Des Moines. This sure looks like a fair map and I bet Latham moves if it passes since he has to know he was getting screwed no matter what happens.

ISU represented by Steve King. LOL. Maybe Latham should primary him.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 10:53:49 AM »

The map also puts together Braley and Loebsack but the latter won't have much of a problem to relocate into the newly created southeastern district.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 11:45:37 AM »

Boswell basically got the Neal Smith district. The district is similar to the old 4th that was drawn 20 years ago and took in a lot of freeperville areas in southwest Iowa. It led to him being unseated in 1994.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2011, 11:54:04 AM »

According to Wasserman:

Braley's 1st CD stays 58% Obama, Loebsack's 2nd from 60% to 57%, Boswell's 3rd CD from 54% to 52%, new merged 4th would be 48%.

Approximate new PVIs would be D+5 (1st), D+4 (2nd), R+1 (3rd), R+5 (4th). Overall, great map for Dems, lousy map for GOP.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2011, 12:08:08 PM »

Boon to generic Republicans, but a curse to the current party as it traps the two incumbent Republicans together. I agree that it will be rejected despite being a relatively friendly map for the GOP.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2011, 12:59:33 PM »

Here's a plan I just drew up; its based on the proposal that came out today.

My goals were to put Boswell and Latham in the same district and move Loebsack back into CD2.

In term of deviations, its actually more accurate than the proposed map.

JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »

Cribbing the numbers from SSP:

District    Obama    McCain    Other       Kerry    Bush    Other
IA-01    58.0%    40.1%    1.9%       53.1%    46.1%    0.8%
IA-02    56.6%    41.2%    2.1%       52.5%    46.5%    1.0%
IA-03    51.9%    45.8%    2.3%       47.1%    52.1%    0.8%
IA-04    48.1%    49.8%    2.1%       44.2%    55.0%    0.9%

Looks pretty fair to me. Once Boswell is gone, you get two pretty solid seats for each party.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2011, 04:38:22 PM »

I like the map a lot. I would approve it in a heartbeat. Each party loses a seat in exchange for a marginal one with a GOP lean, probably one destined to grow over time. That seat will elect a Pubbie or house broken Dem. Perfect!  Oh, and that nutter King may be in trouble. Even better!  Smiley
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2011, 04:46:09 PM »

I like the map a lot. I would approve it in a heartbeat. Each party loses a seat in exchange for a marginal one with a GOP lean, probably one destined to grow over time. That seat will elect a Pubbie or house broken Dem. Perfect!  Oh, and that nutter King may be in trouble. Even better!  Smiley

This cuts both ways. In a great year Democrats could win all four seats, especially if Republicans continue to nominate fire-and-brimstone nutters like King.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2011, 06:05:46 PM »

Why is King a "nutter" but not 0 ACU score and 100 ACLU score, 100 AFL-CIO score, etc. uber-liberal David Loebsack?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2011, 06:14:42 PM »

Why is King a "nutter" but not 0 ACU score and 100 ACLU score, 100 AFL-CIO score, etc. uber-liberal David Loebsack?

Because Loebsack doesn't have mental health problems?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2011, 06:16:16 PM »

Neither does Steve King.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2011, 06:38:06 PM »

Loebsack also knows when to keep his mouth shut and has done a lot of good community work to help rebuild Cedar Rapids after the flooding. Regardless, I think that Jim Leach was a better fit for that district.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2011, 12:22:08 AM »

Neither does Steve King.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOrBpTdZ2tc
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2011, 01:38:55 AM »

I don't know Loebsack, but I have seen King on the tube, and in political terms, he's nuts - superficial, extreme, often factually errant, and pandering.  He is just not a serious politician. He's a male version of Bachmann. JMO.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2011, 02:40:37 AM »

King is a nutter because of the absolutely bats*** crazy things that comes out of his mouth.  Torie calling King a male version of  Michelle Bachmann was right on point.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2011, 04:19:34 AM »

I met King outside of Congress late one night in 2008. He was very polite and nice until but he abruptly cut our conversation short when he found out of the guys in our group had a Muslim name.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2011, 01:02:11 PM »

King is a nutter because of the absolutely bats*** crazy things that comes out of his mouth.  Torie calling King a male version of  Michelle Bachmann was right on point.

This is getting far afield from the purpose of this subforum, but I think I've got it.  "Nutter" means outspoken social conservative.  Name a "progressive" nutter.  There are plenty of "progressive" politicians who say stupid, extremist things.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2011, 02:01:33 PM »

This is getting far afield from the purpose of this subforum, but I think I've got it.  "Nutter" means outspoken social conservative.  Name a "progressive" nutter.  There are plenty of "progressive" politicians who say stupid, extremist things.

You can be conservative/liberal and even an outspoken one without dreaming up all these weird and wacky extreme conspiracy theories, and without saying utterly crazy things.  Loebsack is indeed quite liberal, but he does't go around making extreme statements.  King basically came to the defense of the terrorist who flew a plane into the IRS building.  He said terrorists would celebrate in the streets if Obama was elected.   He is against gay marriage (fine most conservatives are), but he went into this bizarre end of civilization tangent  He is certified straight jacket material.

FTW, I'm not convinced King would be in all that much trouble in IA-4 on the map, but if it happens to be a bad year for the GOP he could.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2011, 07:33:20 AM »

Looks like the first map is probably going to be put into place.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies