Scott Brown: childhood victim of sexual abuse
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:34:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Scott Brown: childhood victim of sexual abuse
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Scott Brown: childhood victim of sexual abuse  (Read 7643 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 01:58:22 PM »

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/02/sen-scott-brown-tells-60-minutes-he-was-sexually-abused-by-a-camp-counselor-video.php

No joke or snark. I've only read the title. Holy crap.

I feel badly for him and his family. I also imagine this would account for some of his political stands in the past and opposition to gay rights--and humanizes him much more to me, because before, I thought he was just mean and lacked empathy.

You're still not voting for him though, right? 
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 02:20:36 PM »

You can clearly see his tortured and conflicted soul somewhere in this photo (and much more than that to be honest).
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 03:15:50 PM »

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/02/sen-scott-brown-tells-60-minutes-he-was-sexually-abused-by-a-camp-counselor-video.php

No joke or snark. I've only read the title. Holy crap.

I feel badly for him and his family. I also imagine this would account for some of his political stands in the past and opposition to gay rights--and humanizes him much more to me, because before, I thought he was just mean and lacked empathy.

You're still not voting for him though, right? 

Nope. Not going to change on that.
Nichlemn

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 02:34:41 AM »

All three of us are gay men in Massachusetts, so none of us sees this as an "excuse." On the contrary, this gives me hope that he may be able to work through some issues he has hidden from his closest family for decades... And perhaps become a better senator for the whole state as a result.

Us?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 07:09:07 AM »

Me, Mr. Moderate, and Dan the Roman.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 12:14:48 AM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0211/DSCC_attacks_Brown_on_abuse_revelation.html?showall

Apparently some are suggesting Brown fabricated the whole thing as a political stunt. Really, how low can you go?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 08:13:59 AM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0211/DSCC_attacks_Brown_on_abuse_revelation.html?showall

Apparently some are suggesting Brown fabricated the whole thing as a political stunt. Really, how low can you go?

Typical shoddy "reporting" from Politico, since they're the only site that's running with this and they don't apparently have any proof.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2011, 01:38:43 PM »

The people accusing him of making it up appear to be affiliated with the camp where he said it happened, so there's some non-partisan logic in their actions. Not that I believe them.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2011, 02:07:59 PM »

Well, thank goodness there are people out there with the political courage to tell abuse victims how they should act and behave. They're the real heroes in all this!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2011, 02:11:31 PM »

Well, thank goodness there are people out there with the political courage to tell abuse victims how they should act and behave. They're the real heroes in all this!

Isn't that what pro-lifers do to rape victims who get pregnant?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »

What the DSCC is doing is indefensible to the point where you need to desperately change the subject? I agree!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2011, 02:55:29 PM »

What the DSCC is doing is indefensible to the point where you need to desperately change the subject?

Do I?
Republicans tried recently to change the definition of rape so don't act so offended about politicians trying to tell abuse victims what to do.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2011, 05:41:44 PM »

What the DSCC is doing is indefensible to the point where you need to desperately change the subject?

Do I?
Republicans tried recently to change the definition of rape so don't act so offended about politicians trying to tell abuse victims what to do.

What the DSCC is doing is indefensible to the point where you need to desperately change the subject? I agree!
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2011, 05:52:10 PM »

That's politics, you get questioned and scrutinized. If his story seems to be a political stunt, it should be called out, we have enough dishonesty in politics and the truth is always the best policy.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 02:31:18 AM »

Frankly, he's the one who put it out there. I understand sexual abuse better than most, certainly most than here I imagine, and even I find the whole deal iffy.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 03:02:28 AM »

I understand sexual abuse better than most, certainly most than here I imagine

I don't want you to elaborate.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 04:31:59 AM »

Seems the post I made earlier that was infracted for trolling wasn't so off the mark after all.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 04:52:21 AM »

I don't know guys.

When I first saw this story break it seemed a little too crazy to believe and like the kind of thing that the pathological liar in 9th grade would tell everybody.  But then I realized that Scott Brown is a US Senator who could be handed his head on a platter by the citizens of his state if he was making crap up about his past.

I'm not saying I totally buy this but I think the average politician is a little bit smarter than to just grab a made up story out of their ass to tell on 60 Minutes.  Scott Brown just seems way too smart for that (I mean the guy won a US Senate (a special one but still) race in Massachusetts as a Republican, he has to be pretty gifted).
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 05:59:32 AM »

Amount of political gain Scott Brown gets from mentioning past sexual abuse: near 0
Amount of people here willing to declare a sitting U.S. Senator a sociopath based on their "gut feeling" and nothing more: lots
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2011, 06:29:33 AM »

Amount of political gain Scott Brown gets from mentioning past sexual abuse: near 0
Amount of people here willing to declare a sitting U.S. Senator a sociopath based on their "gut feeling" and nothing more: lots

Oh please, as if it wouldn't get a ton of sympathy or almost surely get someone somewhere to attack him over it in some way getting a bunch of "how dare you"-esque shaming in his defense.

I'm not prepared to sit here and call him a sociopath and accuse him of sitting around coming up with the sickest possible ways to get support or sympathy, but politicians come up with all kinds of things to that effect, such as coming up with fictional military records or exaggerating details. (Also, Brown has been completely untrustworthy to people he's spoken to in the Senate in the past and has made baffling lies about his opposition, such as his long-running nonsense about Rachel Maddow running against him, for some reason.)

The only thing that actually does bug me about this whole issue are the amount of people essentially responding with "aw, I understand so much more about him now, the delicate little thing" in regards to his positions on gay rights contrasting with the state he represents. It's silly and it grates on me. The man shouldn't be treated any better or any worse just because of it.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2011, 08:22:04 AM »

WTF is the DSCC thinking? Even if Brown's story is a fabrication (not saying it is), he wouldn't suddenly say, "oh, I made it up, you guys sure caught me!" and I don't see how anyone could find concrete proof that it definitely didn't happen. By making accusations without solid proof they're basically begging for a "Democrats side with gay rapists!" narrative to develop.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2011, 09:43:13 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2011, 09:45:10 AM by brittain33 »

Where "lots" = 2 people on this thread, one who gets into fights with everyone on the other side, and the other apparently suffered sexual abuse himself. (and who, I read now, doesn't hold the view spelled out here.)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2011, 09:44:33 AM »

The only thing that actually does bug me about this whole issue are the amount of people essentially responding with "aw, I understand so much more about him now, the delicate little thing" in regards to his positions on gay rights contrasting with the state he represents. It's silly and it grates on me. The man shouldn't be treated any better or any worse just because of it.

We may have a misunderstanding here... I don't think he should be treated any better moving forward. I think his future decisions on gay rights should be held to close scrutiny. I'm gratified to have an explanation for his past callousness. 
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2011, 09:47:58 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2011, 09:56:43 AM by MQuinn »

In reference to the camp, coming from the area, it was known back in the day to have...issues as such. But I suspect, it is almost campagin season again, so it is time to get everything out of the closet.

And to "making me understand his position" on gay rights, well I just don't see how the event and that are connected... For DADT he is a military man, a lawyer, but a military man nonetheless, and the reason he hesitated, is that it is and has been a big "debate" within the military for some time (over its implications). As for marriage, well, despite MA having that right, he may not like using the term "marriage," but is in support the term civil unions, which is not an uncommon political position even in MA.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2011, 10:00:57 AM »

In reference to the camp, coming from the area, it was known back in the day to have...issues as such. But I suspect, it is almost campagin season again, so it is time to get everything out of the closet.

And to "making me understand his position" on gay rights, well I just don't see how the event and that are connected... For DADT he is a military man, a lawyer, but a military man nonetheless, and the reason he hesitated, is that it is and has been a big "debate" within the military for some time (over its implications). As for marriage, well, despite MA having that right, he may not like using the term "marriage," but is in support the term civil unions, which is not an uncommon political position even in MA.

Back when he was a state senator, he hewed to the most conservative line possible, which included at times not approving of civil unions. At this time, supporting civil unions in a fuzzy way is as conservative as you can possibly be in Massachusetts.

He's never shown any empathy for or interest in the issues gay people face.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies