The Wisconsin Cheese Showdown
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:03:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Wisconsin Cheese Showdown
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 32
Author Topic: The Wisconsin Cheese Showdown  (Read 58925 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: March 09, 2011, 10:45:52 PM »

stop going to work
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #601 on: March 09, 2011, 10:50:15 PM »

No matter how this went, the result was going to be the same, Republicans have stepped in it in Wisconsin. Next election, they are going to have zero credibility for overreaching and swing voters aren't going to be perceptive to them. What reason would they have to be?

Because they acted like adults and fixed the state's fiscal mess without raising taxes?

The next scheduled state election is over a year and a half away.  That's an eternity in politics.  Things that are important today may be forgotten.  Or not.

Remember - recalls work both ways, too.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #602 on: March 09, 2011, 10:50:56 PM »

Probably not against other people (though it does look like the protesters are getting closer to that), but vandalism?  Definitely.
Shilly
United States

« Reply #603 on: March 09, 2011, 10:51:48 PM »

haha America is screwed.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #604 on: March 09, 2011, 10:51:54 PM »

A general strike is a serious possibility at this point:"MikeElk: Wisc Firefighters Union President Joe Conway tells me there should be a general strike"
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #605 on: March 09, 2011, 10:53:28 PM »

No matter how this went, the result was going to be the same, Republicans have stepped in it in Wisconsin. Next election, they are going to have zero credibility for overreaching and swing voters aren't going to be perceptive to them. What reason would they have to be?

Because they acted like adults and fixed the state's fiscal mess without raising taxes?

The next scheduled state election is over a year and a half away.  That's an eternity in politics.  Things that are important today may be forgotten.  Or not.

Oh yes because there are so many Senate Democrats in Wisconsin in such vulnerable seats. Roll Eyes

Say goodbye to that piece of sh!t asshole representing La Crosse. I'd bet anything he is done.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #606 on: March 09, 2011, 10:56:33 PM »

Steaming pile of manure, the fiscal portions were removed, which is why this foolishness passed.

This is not something that will be forgotten, when a party overreaches, it has consequences.

The Democrats aren't the one who stepped in it, the Republicans are, it's not hard to see who is in the most trouble for a recall. But delude yourself if you like.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #607 on: March 09, 2011, 10:57:33 PM »

Isn't it possible that this is just a trick to get the Democrats to come back?  Otherwise, I do object to the fact that 24 hours notice wasn't given.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #608 on: March 09, 2011, 10:57:47 PM »

Oh yes because there are so many Senate Democrats in Wisconsin in such vulnerable seats. Roll Eyes

Say goodbye to that piece of sh!t asshole representing La Crosse. I'd bet anything he is done.

Democratic Senator Jim Holperin, Class of 2008, won with just 51% of the vote in one of the best cycles for Wisconsin Democrats in a long time.  And there are more vulnerable Wisconsin Senate Democrats in the Class of 2010 than Republicans.  But let's not let facts get in the way of the typical Democrats rule, Republicans drool analysis.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #609 on: March 09, 2011, 10:59:56 PM »

Oh yes I'm sure the total of two Democrats in the class of 2010 who represent Janesville and inner-city Milwaukee are soooooooooo vulnerable.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #610 on: March 09, 2011, 11:00:36 PM »

Oh yes I'm sure the total of two Democrats in the class of 2010 who represent Janesville and inner-city Milwaukee are soooooooooo vulnerable.

I think he meant 2008 (which is relavent)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #611 on: March 09, 2011, 11:03:39 PM »

What a Pyrrhic victory, I see no way for Republicans in Wisconsin to rebound from this unless the protests get really, really, really violent tomorrow and there is more blowback from that. News coverage should be pretty universally negative on their legislative tactics and their rhetoric. Now that the debate is purely about collective bargaining rights vs. no collective bargaining rights and the Republicans can't hide behind the "OMFG budget crisis!!!" argument, they will lose even more popular support.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #612 on: March 09, 2011, 11:11:01 PM »

What a Pyrrhic victory, I see no way for Republicans in Wisconsin to rebound from this unless the protests get really, really, really violent tomorrow and there is more blowback from that. News coverage should be pretty universally negative on their legislative tactics and their rhetoric. Now that the debate is purely about collective bargaining rights vs. no collective bargaining rights and the Republicans can't hide behind the "OMFG budget crisis!!!" argument, they will lose even more popular support.

"GOP uses controversial tactic to overcome controversial Democratic tactic" doesn't exactly strike me as a reputation buster.  I don't think anyone is going to see this as some truly unfair political move that doesn't already hate the GOP.

And speaking of that, Quorum busting is far, FAR less Democratic than legislative trickery is.  Remember that the only reason that we're in this situation is because the Democrats basically decided to take the state legislature hostage.  It seems extremely hypocritical to complain about the GOP muscling a bill through when the reason they had to is because the Democrats were busying hiding in Illinois.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #613 on: March 09, 2011, 11:13:26 PM »

The polls were already against the Republicans.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #614 on: March 09, 2011, 11:14:22 PM »

They were also already against the Democrats - an inconvenient fact missed by many partisans.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #615 on: March 09, 2011, 11:15:50 PM »

"GOP uses controversial tactic to overcome controversial Democratic tactic" doesn't exactly strike me as a reputation buster.  I don't think anyone is going to see this as some truly unfair political move that doesn't already hate the GOP.

And speaking of that, Quorum busting is far, FAR less Democratic than legislative trickery is.  Remember that the only reason that we're in this situation is because the Democrats basically decided to take the state legislature hostage.  It seems extremely hypocritical to complain about the GOP muscling a bill through when the reason they had to is because the Democrats were busying hiding in Illinois.

The Dems bolted because Walker and the GOP refused to negotiate or busting unions.  The GOP claimed that this was about the budget, but this proves this was never about the budget or fiscal issues.  On top of that the way they passed it was absolutely nuts and was blatantly illegal.

This video is Absolutely Crazy

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/vp/41998976#41998976
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #616 on: March 09, 2011, 11:16:35 PM »

They were also already against the Democrats - an inconvenient fact missed by many partisans.

With majority favorable opinion of teacher's unions and 57% disapproval for Walker?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #617 on: March 09, 2011, 11:16:55 PM »

2008 Democratic Senate seats with Kerry percentage:
Lena Taylor (4)- 80%
Spence Coggs (6)- 83%
Jim Holperin (12)- 46%
Mark Miller (16)- 58%
Robert Wirch (22)- 51%
Julie Lassa (24)- 51%
Fred Risser (26)- 75%
Dave Hansen (30)- 47%

I'd expect a big enthusiasm gap in favor of Democrats in these special elections.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #618 on: March 09, 2011, 11:18:07 PM »

With majority favorable opinion of teacher's unions and 57% disapproval for Walker?

With over 60% in favor of collective bargaining rights as well, which is now the only issue that will be debated upon.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #619 on: March 09, 2011, 11:21:01 PM »

Speechless.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #620 on: March 09, 2011, 11:22:41 PM »

No.  Please read what I said and stop confusing politicians for teachers.  A majority with a negative opinion of the Democrats who are currently hiding out in Illinois.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #621 on: March 09, 2011, 11:23:55 PM »

51-47 is a lot less than Walker's disapproval.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #622 on: March 09, 2011, 11:31:47 PM »

Its absolutely nuts.  You have the Minority leader of the Assembly reading off the actual rules over the open meetings law, and then as he is speaking being cut off for the roll call vote in the Senate.  It is crazy.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #623 on: March 09, 2011, 11:33:23 PM »

Because a 51% disapproval versus a 53% one is statistically significant in a poll with an MoE of +/-4, right?

The fact is Wisconsin voters are pretty much divided on the issue and question wording matters.  But the majority disapprove of political actors on both sides.  
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #624 on: March 09, 2011, 11:36:07 PM »

Well I'd say at least that disgusting piece of sh!t "representing" La Crosse in an >60% Obama district isn't going to have a good time. And once recall petitions begin against that human trash I will probably go to La Crosse to help circulate it.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies