New Jersey
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:39:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New Jersey
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New Jersey  (Read 5842 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2004, 10:34:06 AM »

I heard on the news last night that Senator John Corzine will be in the running for governor in 2005

Dave
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 11:27:33 AM »

I heard on the news last night that Senator John Corzine will be in the running for governor in 2005

Dave

That is correct. Sen. Corzine is expected to announce his intentions to run sometime this week. On the GOP side there is going to be a highly contested primary with about seven candidates. Me and NixonNow are starting up a website dedeciated to the NJ Governor's race in a few weeks. It will include news about the race, fundraising totals, and biographys of all candidates. Stay tuned for more.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 11:36:38 AM »

I hope Forrester wins the GOP nomination. He has the best chance of winning though if Corzine is actually running, Forrester's chances aren't good.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 11:41:54 AM »

Dave

That is correct. Sen. Corzine is expected to announce his intentions to run sometime this week. On the GOP side there is going to be a highly contested primary with about seven candidates. Me and NixonNow are starting up a website dedeciated to the NJ Governor's race in a few weeks. It will include news about the race, fundraising totals, and biographys of all candidates. Stay tuned for more.

Do you think Corzine will have a more or less clear run in the Democratic primary?

I check your site out once its up and running

Dave
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 12:15:46 PM »

Dave

Do you think Corzine will have a more or less clear run in the Democratic primary?

I check your site out once its up and running

Dave

I believe that Corzine will win the Democratic primary even if Codey or Andrews runs. He has the money factor, which won him the US Senate seat. Early pollings from politicsnj have shown that Corzine has a 40% lead over Codey in the primary, and a 20% lead over any GOP candidate in the general election. Hawk, I will post a thread when the site is up and running.
Cashcow

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 02:41:24 PM »

Then who will take his Senate seat?

I hope Andrews.
Red Button
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 02:46:10 PM »

Is Corzine up for reelection in 2006?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 02:48:20 PM »

Yes he is and if he is elected Governor he will appoint his successor. I say either Andrews or Menendez will take the seat.
Red Button
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 02:57:44 PM »

Then my only problem with Corzine running melts away.  Corzine for Gov', 2006!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 03:02:07 PM »

The election is in 2005.
Red Button
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2004, 03:05:07 PM »

Corzine for Gov', 2005!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2004, 07:54:11 PM »

I hope so. He's our best chance at winning but I'm afraid that Corzine will have this race won.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2004, 10:54:20 PM »

Forrester is a terrible candidate. The Republicans only ran him in 2002 because he had lots of money, not expecting him to win, and then got a chance when all the scandals on Torricelli broke. He has no chance against any half decent candidate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2004, 10:56:36 PM »

The Republicans only ran him in 2002 because he had lots of money,

Money was the only big reason Corzine won (and barely won actually) the NJ Senate race in 2000.
danwxman

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2004, 10:58:33 PM »

With all this talk of New Jersey supposedly trending Republican, why don't the Republicans have a chance in hell of winning any office?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2004, 11:02:37 PM »

With all this talk of New Jersey supposedly trending Republican, why don't the Republicans have a chance in hell of winning any office?

Republicans don't hold office in NJ?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2004, 11:05:38 PM »

Look at my "complete party control map" I made awhile back. NJ is one of the 3 states (now that it appears Rossi won in WA) that the Democrats control the governor's office, both Senate seats, both houses of the legislature and a majority of Congressmen. And NJ is not trending Republican, quite the opposite. Look at the 1988 results.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 11:08:42 PM »

Look at my "complete party control map" I made awhile back. NJ is one of the 3 states (now that it appears Rossi won in WA) that the Democrats control the governor's office, both Senate seats, both houses of the legislature and a majority of Congressmen. And NJ is not trending Republican, quite the opposite. Look at the 1988 results.

But what about your point concerning Forrester and his money? Corzine became someone big for that same reason.
danwxman

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2004, 11:09:55 PM »

Statewide
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2004, 11:16:38 PM »

Statewide

Statewide

Well to say that they don't have a chance at winning is unfair.
2000 - Bob Franks lost to Corzine by about 3 points. That's not much.

2002 - Forrester was about to become the next U.S. Senator before the NJ Dems withdrew their candidate.

2006 - If Corzine becomes Governor, his Senate seat opens up. Republicans can take it, though it will be difficult (wouldn't say their chances are zero, though).

2005 Gubernatorial race - If Corzine doesn't run (looks like he will but anything can happen in NJ) I think the GOP candidate not only has a chance but will win the office.
danwxman

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2004, 11:19:50 PM »

Statewide

Statewide

2002 - Forrester was about to become the next U.S. Senator before the NJ Dems withdrew their candidate.

2006 - If Corzine becomes Governor, his Senate seat opens up. Republicans can take it, though it will be difficult (wouldn't say their chances are zero, though).

2005 Gubernatorial race - If Corzine doesn't run (looks like he will but anything can happen in NJ) I think the GOP candidate not only has a chance but will win the office.

Lol ok...I just got the feeling from this thread, even from you, that the Republicans have little if any chance.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2004, 11:21:23 PM »

But what about your point concerning Forrester and his money? Corzine became someone big for that same reason.

NJ is a Democratic-leaning state. Just because Corzine can win doesn't mean Forrester can.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2004, 11:22:22 PM »

Statewide

Statewide

Lol ok...I just got the feeling from this thread, even from you, that the Republicans have little if any chance.

What are you talking about? Can you argue any of your points? I just gave you a list of likely situations were the GOP can pick up Senate seats/Governor's office. My point here is that saying the GOP has no chance at all is wrong.
danwxman

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2004, 11:23:29 PM »

Statewide

Statewide

What are you talking about? Can you argue any of your points? I just gave you a list of likely situations were the GOP can pick up Senate seats/Governor's office. My point here is that saying the GOP has no chance at all is wrong.

Umm, I never claimed to be an expert on NJ politics. I came to this thread as an outsider and got the overwhelming feeling, even from you, that the Republicans dont have much of a chance of picking up any of these seats. Stop being so pompous.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2004, 11:23:46 PM »

NJ is a Democratic-leaning state. Just because Corzine can win doesn't mean Forrester can.

You said the only thing Forrester had going for him was money. Same thing with Corzine, right? If Corzine didn't have the millions that he has during that Senate race, Franks would have been able to overcome the margin and win the seat.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies