B1 Bob
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:52:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  B1 Bob
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: B1 Bob  (Read 4538 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 02:57:19 AM »

I don't think we should automatically assume that a district with more Hispanic voters than in the past will automatically become more Democratic. That entire argument that Hispanics vote blindly for Democrats I find somewhat insulting. Dornan lost because his district's voters got sick of his rhetoric, and threw him out as a result. Sanchez had been able to capitalize on a somewhat moderate voting record since then that has allowed her to survive.

Uh, the argument that Hispanics vote for Democrats isn't "insulting", it's factual. Even Bush's much-vaunted popularity with Hispanics translated to an 9-point loss to Kerry among Hispanics. McCain won a huge margin in 2010, but lost Hispanics by 17 points. Brian Sandoval, a Hispanic Republican running against unpopular Rory Reid, lost by a huge margin. Can you point out a single example to where Hispanics voted more Republican than the average voter? The only one I can think of is Cubans in Florida.

I meant trying to characterize the way the group votes because of its race. Hispanics do tend to vote Democratic, but I don't think characterizing the ethnicity as a whole is beneficial to the nation unless we want racial politics to become entrenched.
That ship sailed at the Constitutional Convention of 1787.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 06:11:43 AM »

Which cities are in this district?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 12:45:41 PM »

At the time it includes parts of the San Fernando Valley, plus Malibu, Agoura Hills and Thousand Oaks.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 01:28:39 PM »

Western part of the valley I am guessing?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 01:32:32 PM »

Yes, the western part.
JoeyJoeJoe
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.57

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 12:08:15 AM »

<Q>In 1981, Phil Burton tried to exterminate as many republicans as possible. Why was he unsuccessful with getting rid of Duncan Hunter? The only reason he unseated an 18 year incumbent in 1980 (by less than 5 points) was because he didn't actively campaign the entire season until the final week or two of the election.

</Q>

He created a new Dem leaning district instead (they eventually lost that one too, in 1990).

As for 1998, it was actually a better year for CA Republicans than 1996, I think.  They got killed upballot, but gained in the state's congressional delegation.  Bob Dornan was going around calling himself "Mr. Immigrant Man" in the meantime, which failed to impress anyone.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 12:30:19 AM »

I don't think we should automatically assume that a district with more Hispanic voters than in the past will automatically become more Democratic. That entire argument that Hispanics vote blindly for Democrats I find somewhat insulting.  

I don't get what you are trying to say. There is no doubt Hispanics are far more likely to vote democratic than the whites - on average. Nobody claims that all Hispanics vote democratic, nor is anybody claiming that Hispanics should vote democratic, but a correlation between being Hispanic and being a democrat is undeniable - nor do you deny it yourself. Hence, the conclusion you find insulting is inevitable.

And, of course, there is nothing per se that forces Hispanics to vote Dem. If the Republican party stops defining itself as "the white Anglo party", that could, in fact, quickly change.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 08:33:06 PM »

i'm someone who votes in every election, but if i lived in garden grove in 1996, i wouldn't vote in that election. I would have voted for Clinton of course, but in the congressional race, i would have left the choices blank.

Dornan was basically a chauvinist pig and a homophobe. Not only that but he was from Santa Monica and basically carpetbagged to Orange County.

I also don't like Sanchez because she had the same issue as Whitman (not voting) and I also didn't like how she changed her name from Loretta Brixey to Loretta Sanchez. Not only that but she was a carpetbagger too, coming from the Palos Verdes Peninsula and moving to Orange County just to run in the election. I also remember hearing that she recently got involved in a scandal although I don't remember exactly what it was.

My hope is that that district can have actual representation for the first time since Jerry Patterson represented that district in the late 70s and early 80s. Maybe someone like Lou Correa could run here.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011, 08:35:42 PM »

Loretta Sanchez was the the insensitive fool who called for Gabby Giffords to be removed from her committee in the house.

Why, I don't know. Sanchez has 10 years more seniority and should have a far better committee spot.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2011, 02:03:03 PM »

It must have been hell from 1985-1993. You had what I call the "OC Twins" or "Dornanmeyer" which was two loudmouths of Bob Dornan and Bill Dannemeyer.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2011, 03:50:03 PM »

despite being a conservative loudmouth, i believe he was fairly liberal on immigration issues as opposed to the other CA Republicans like Hunter, Bilbray, Rohrabacher, Gallegly etc. It probably had to do with the fact that a lot of immigrants (both mexican and vietnamese) lived in his district.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2011, 11:06:16 PM »

Surprisingly so.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2011, 12:19:52 AM »

Wow. I know it was very close, but still. In the same year I think Stark won over 60%, which begs the question, how could so many people vote for both Reagan and Stark?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 12:31:34 AM »

Wow. I know it was very close, but still. In the same year I think Stark won over 60%, which begs the question, how could so many people vote for both Reagan and Stark?

There were plenty of districts that Obama won in 2008, that still easily re-elected their republican incumbents.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2011, 07:46:08 AM »

It's similar to how Peter DeFazio manages 60%+ in every election with a solidly liberal voting record despite being in a district that is only D+2. Voters consider more than just party and ideology when voting. I know I do.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies