Interesting quiz: differentiating between Christian and Muslim fundamentalists
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:38:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Interesting quiz: differentiating between Christian and Muslim fundamentalists
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interesting quiz: differentiating between Christian and Muslim fundamentalists  (Read 3463 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2004, 07:45:33 PM »

Can you differentiate between Christian fundamentalists and Muslim fundamentalists?  Is there a huge difference?  Well, find out: take this quiz, which requires you to attribute quotes either to Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson or to Osama bin Laden.

I thought the implied message was kind of interesting.

For the record, I got 10 out of 20.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 07:59:03 PM »

9 out of 10, ouch.  I thought I'd do well.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 08:45:21 PM »

15 out of 20...not bad, I suppose.  If you're familiar with "end times" theology, Robertson and Falwell's quotes are much easier to recognize.  And yes, they're bat-sh*t insane Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 09:10:07 PM »

I got 6 out of 20.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 09:14:22 PM »

11 of 20
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 10:04:42 PM »

A fundamentalist belives in the fundamental principles of his religion. Anyone who isn't a fundamentalist is a total joke.

If Osama is a fundamentalist, it's because Islam is a fundamentally screwy religion.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 10:41:04 PM »

A fundamentalist belives in the fundamental principles of his religion. Anyone who isn't a fundamentalist is a total joke.

If Osama is a fundamentalist, it's because Islam is a fundamentally screwy religion.

I once had a professor who taught the history of Christianity, and he said that if Christians read their Bibles, they'd kill a lot less.  He also said that if Muslims read their Qu'rans, they'd kill a lot more.  So you could be right...but it's not politically correct to say so.
Bugs

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 12:03:52 AM »

I scored 13 of 20, but there was some guesswork involved.  I believe that many of the quotes by Osama could have been stated in a similar context by Robertson or Falwell, and vice versa.  As already implied, all three men believe in the fundamental principles of their religion.  They all love God and want to honor and obey him. All three support the military action their own people are carrying out--Falwell and Robertson support the US military; Osama supports Al Qaida.  Aside from their own desire to glorify Jesus Christ for Falwell and Robertson and Mohammed for Osama, here's the difference:  Falwell and Robertson wouldn't support Sept. 11 style killing where non-military innocent people are involved, and Osama does, except he doesn't consider any American innocent, so no atrocities were committed.  He believes that God-- or Allah-- approves of, and is glorified by, this kind of killing.  Falwell and Robertson do not. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004, 12:27:07 AM »

16 out of 20!  I'm not a fundamentalist, but as I'm an iconoclast who refuses to pay for television, I'm sometimes left in the position where the most entertaining channel I can watch is the local religious station.  Sometimes I found what I was watching amusing when the broadcasters meant it to be, and sometimes I found it amusing when they were being deadly serious.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004, 12:52:17 AM »

The point of this exercise was to show that fundamentalist Christians say things that are equally bad as fundamentalist Muslims.

I really don't want to get into the "but fundamentalist Christians are wrong while fundamentalist Muslims are right" argument yet again.  They are who they are, wrong or right.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2004, 10:00:17 AM »

I got 14/20.  I just guessed based on one thing - the complexity of the sentences: Usama's being the more elaborate.  Falwell and Roberson know their audience too well to go over its head.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2004, 01:43:32 PM »

17 out of 20

Though I think Falwell and Robertson are insane, the quotes are being taken far out of context.  Intent is important and I doubt the Falwell intends to start a Crusade.  Bin Laden is engaging in Jihad.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2004, 03:16:37 PM »

17 out of 20

Though I think Falwell and Robertson are insane, the quotes are being taken far out of context.  Intent is important and I doubt the Falwell intends to start a Crusade.  Bin Laden is engaging in Jihad.

Falwell is nuts, I agree. Robertson isn't to bad. He often makes a LOT of good points and I agree with him on some things.
khirkhib

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2004, 05:20:30 PM »

I scored 13 of 20, but there was some guesswork involved.  I believe that many of the quotes by Osama could have been stated in a similar context by Robertson or Falwell, and vice versa.  As already implied, all three men believe in the fundamental principles of their religion.  They all love God and want to honor and obey him. All three support the military action their own people are carrying out--Falwell and Robertson support the US military; Osama supports Al Qaida.  Aside from their own desire to glorify Jesus Christ for Falwell and Robertson and Mohammed for Osama, here's the difference:  Falwell and Robertson wouldn't support Sept. 11 style killing where non-military innocent people are involved, and Osama does, except he doesn't consider any American innocent, so no atrocities were committed.  He believes that God-- or Allah-- approves of, and is glorified by, this kind of killing.  Falwell and Robertson do not. 

Hey Bugs,  The US has killed about 100,000 Iraquis in the war.  Not all of them were combatents either.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2004, 05:49:49 PM »

11/20
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2004, 07:59:39 PM »

Hey Bugs,  The US has killed about 100,000 Iraquis in the war.  Not all of them were combatents either.

I think that number is a little high, but I see it thrown around a lot.  I see either 10,000 or 100,000.  You could be right, I don't know.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2004, 08:10:39 PM »

16/20.
Bugs

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2004, 07:26:48 AM »

So what's your point?  If there is one thing that all wars have in common it's that people die, and many are innocent civilians.  If Saddam would have voluntarily stepped down without a war, I suspect that President Bush would have called off the war.  If you are opposed to the war in principle, many would agree with you, but I don't see the relevance to this thread.  If you are trying to say that Falwell and Robertson are evil bloodthirsty villains like Osama, then you're mistaken. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2004, 11:09:52 AM »

I could have gotten a 19 but I went over the top in attributing statements no. 17 and 19 to the Religious Daft.
My other error was on No.7. That one, and about 3-4 that I got right, was a blind guess, though.

There are quite a lot that are really easy, showing signs of, er, "Biblical language", of colloquialism, or of translation from the Arabic.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2004, 11:25:41 AM »

Khirk, try 25,000 tops
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2004, 01:56:41 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2004, 01:59:33 PM by John Ford »

Gabu,

I don't have to take the quiz to differentiate.  One group likes to shoot their mouths off, the other likes to fly planes into buildings.  That's the difference, and its why one is a real danger and one is a sideshow.

khirkhib,

Your 100,000 figure is wrong.  That number comes from a study that is garbage (and on top of that, it only concludes that 100,000 Iraqis have died as a result of the war, and I will now demonstrate, even that claim is not accurate).

The study deriving that figure was poorly sampled.  The sample was 33 neighborhoods in Iraq, and they tried to extrapolate from these neighborhoods to figure the total damage to the country.

Of course 33 neighborhoods is too small a sample.  The neighborhoods were not selected randomly either, rather selection was guided by the scientists perception of war damage in Iraq (surprise!  Fallujah and the rest of the Sunni Triangle got oversampled!).  Combat damage is not spread over the country evenly, so if one area that has been hit by fighting gets sampled, it will outweigh the other neighborhoods (Surprise again, Fallujah accounts for 75% of the recorded casualties!).  Non-combat deaths are included (AIDS deaths are included for example, which cannot be rationally attributed to the US military, as are deaths resulting from insurgent fire, also cannot e attributed to the US military).

As a result of the small sample and bad sampling of neighborhoods, the margin of error was huge.  The study concluded that the number of casualties was between 8,000 and 194,000.  We need a study to tell us this?  Of course, credible estimates not come to by idiots that slander America and social science research at the same time put the death toll of Iraqis at around 13,000, the large bulk being killed by suicide bombings.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies