"Citizen, do you know your government?": A Senate Campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:03:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  "Citizen, do you know your government?": A Senate Campaign
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "Citizen, do you know your government?": A Senate Campaign  (Read 1660 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2011, 08:29:16 PM »
« edited: February 24, 2011, 09:19:15 PM by shua »

Dear Citizen,

I believe that government is best which it is close within the reach of the people.  Then, if ever it begins to be burdensome, the individual citizen may know whom to petition. And the politician will know whom he needs to heed in order to win his next election. For the best decisions are made when there is accountability.
Of course, accountability is not enough. And the great leader knows there are times when conscience must be heeded against the call of the crowd - and then be willing to face his critics!
But especially in government, accountability is required. And so the citizen must know what his government is doing.

And so I ask:
Do you know your government? 
Does it know you? 
I do not mean "Does the state know your whereabouts and everything about you?" No free person would want any such thing!  I mean, does the government know who it is that has sent it to govern?  And does it respect you enough to know it's own proper limits?
Or do you, like so many others, feel that it is gone too far out of reach?
I mean is it too expansive, too expensive, too unknowable and too far removed?

This is the question I will pose to you in the course of a campaign for the Atlasian Senate.

Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:59:37 PM »

I ran on a campaign of Government transparency and it appeared to strike a chord with our citizens, as I performed will beyond expectations in the Senate race. Shua, I know you would be a fantastic successor to Dallasfan, which is why I endorse you whole-heartedly.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 11:47:30 AM »

You have my enthusiastic support.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 11:50:37 AM »

Is this an at-large race?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 11:52:01 AM »

Yes, Senator Dallasfan65 is resigning to become Vice President.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 12:08:26 PM »

Thank you, my excellent fellows, for your fine words of encouragement!

And I very much look forward to seeing what the Vice Presidency may become with such an excellent fellow as Dallasfan!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 10:32:01 PM »

What is your opinion on the welfare/social whatevsky bill preposed by Antonio (This ambiguity is a test of your research skills. Tongue)?

Also, what do you think about the current state of the Senate, its activity and such? 

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 12:44:24 AM »

Very good questions, NCY. 

Antonio's bill is a very long and complicated sort of thing, isn't it?

I would of course prefer bills that are of a much more comprehensible, as it's easy for the public (and probably some Senators as well) to lose track of what's going on.  There might be a case for such a long bill if it were necessary to put everything into a single structure. However, while it creates a single overarching bureaucracy, it really isn't a single structure in the most important sense, which is funding.  You have a tax here related to this program, and a tax there related to that, etc (It's called "contributions"  but really it's all taxation as far as I can tell.) So unless there is going to be a change to a unified funding mechanism, I don't think a single bill for all this is justified. 

Also, it presents itself forward as "insurance" against "social risks," but are parenthood and old age really definable as social risk?  I can understand the insurance concept as it applies to things like disability, unemployment, sickness, etc that are unforeseen risks, but this bill seems to me to be stretching the concept of insurance beyond all recognition.  That's not to say parents or elders shouldn't receive support, but at some point this ceases to be insurance and becomes redistribution.

My general thought as to the unemployment section is that it puts up too much money in compensation to each person for too long, while also being too restrictive about who receives it.

I'll continue to take a look at this, and I'll take on the question of Senate activity in another post, as I don't want this post to be as long as that bill! Wink
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 10:36:16 PM »

oh yes, I meant to say a little something on Senate activity:

In the Mideast Assembly we have had i think every member contribute to the discussion of every bill this session, and we have passed several this month and discussed even more.  The same participation should be true also of our Senate.  Of course particular members will focus their attention more on some issues than on others, but if a person is elected to the Senate, then the assumption is that they have something to contribute in each discussion, whether bringing forward ideas or asking the questions that need to be asked.

One thing that is vital in so many discussions is the economic data and projections.  Badger has done a truly remarkable job with this, though sometimes bills slow down because, i imagine, the GM position as it now stands really is too much of a job for even the most capable person to do themselves.  So hopefully we will be able to reform this a bit with out taking too much away from the valuable contributions by Badger or whoever else fills this position in the future.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 01:38:35 AM »

The importance of questioning good ideas

Cats are wonderful creatures, providing valuable companionship to millions of Atlasians.  And so we must protect them - in a way fitting to a free and prudent people.
I recently asked a question regarding the Feline Protection Act, meant to prevent the declawing of cats, just before the vote begun.  The bill had been changed at that point from one imposing criminal penalties to one promoting an alternative - a welcome and good change. But I saw a problem with the bill and so questioned it.
I did not mean to wait until the last moment, but voiced my concern when I realized the bill was going forward in its current form.
I asked, "You're commanding SoftClaws to provide their product for free?"
That is how the language read to me, though this didn't seem to have been discussed. So it seems to have been an unfortunate misunderstanding. However, there is in this bill also a plan, as I read it, to pay for the product (an alternative to clawing) by using the fines or fees acquired through the declawing procedure. The problem here is that you have are trying to decrease the incidence of a behavior by taxing it, and then using that money as a way to fund a program to prevent that behaior. If fewer cats are declawed, will the revenue dry up for the program that is actually instrumental in promoting that beneficent change?

Please, do not understand this as a judgement upon the capability of anyone involved in this process. I do not have any axe to grind upon this bill, only that it is fresh in our minds. (I could have, for example, discussed rather the way the stimulus bill was greatly lacking in subjects and verbs.) I do not stand against any one in my critiicism, but hope to provide an example of what criticism may be constructive when offered in the spirit of our common good.  Bills will be created by some and improved by the participation of others.  They will not be perfect by any means but will be improved by a variety of minds.

Our Senators are good public servants, capable and intelligent, and full of good ideas. The question here is how do you make a good idea into a good bill.  Attention to detail, in seeking clarity and in terms of foreseeing potential policy conundrums, is important to the process of good governance.  It is certainly not the only thing, but it is a necessary thing, and it is something that I have to offer.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 12:11:29 PM »

To encourage discussion and collaboration in meeting the challenges that face us, I would propose the establishment of a place off the senate floor where senators may gather and may meet to discuss ideas for exploring solutions.  Members of the public would also be allowed to come and present their concerns and ideas. This would help start the conversation, and would be a place to consider various approaches rather than the specifics of a bill than has been brought to the floor.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 04:44:40 PM »

I don't think anyone thought Dallas would call the feline bill to a vote as early as he did. That isn't the way the Senate usually conducts business.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 07:05:45 PM »

To encourage discussion and collaboration in meeting the challenges that face us, I would propose the establishment of a place off the senate floor where senators may gather and may meet to discuss ideas for exploring solutions.  Members of the public would also be allowed to come and present their concerns and ideas. This would help start the conversation, and would be a place to consider various approaches rather than the specifics of a bill than has been brought to the floor.

There are currently two such threads already in existance. The problem is getting people to use them. And don't see how creating a third will incentivize their use.

I don't think anyone thought Dallas would call the feline bill to a vote as early as he did. That isn't the way the Senate usually conducts business.

I wouldn't say "as early as" considerinh how long its been on the floor. However when a bill has been debated so long, and people's attention dwindles, the wrapping up of it can be soemwhaye of an unexpected event. I wouldn't blame Dallas for it. I would blame the lazy ass Senators for letting it continue so long. Tongue

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 08:23:37 PM »

I saw this problem quite a while ago and just assumed someone else was going to catch it.  Again, I didn't mean bringing this issue up as a criticism of anyone's role in this, but merely as an illustration of my own unique abilities.  No one is at fault as far as I am concerned any more than I am for not having asked this question earlier.  It is merely an illustration of my potential value to the Senate.

There are currently two such threads already in existance. The problem is getting people to use them. And don't see how creating a third will incentivize their use.

That thread either moved off the front page some time ago, or else is entitled something that does not suggest what I am talking about.  If such a thread exists, I will use it.  If not, I will create it.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 11:30:20 AM »

Endorsed
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 10:54:33 PM »

I saw this problem quite a while ago and just assumed someone else was going to catch it.  Again, I didn't mean bringing this issue up as a criticism of anyone's role in this, but merely as an illustration of my own unique abilities.  No one is at fault as far as I am concerned any more than I am for not having asked this question earlier.  It is merely an illustration of my potential value to the Senate.

That thread either moved off the front page some time ago, or else is entitled something that does not suggest what I am talking about.  If such a thread exists, I will use it.  If not, I will create it.

This was created last summer by Bacon King at the urging of Bullmoose. You will notice it is on page 1 due to my bumping of it at the start of the Senate last Friday. 
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=119311.msg2547907#msg2547907

And this one is stickied.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=19934.1590
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 11:06:23 PM »

Endorsed. You will be getting my first preference.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 01:11:22 PM »

Excellent! I am very glad to be able to have the support of both our President and Vice President. Also very good to get an endorsement from Jbrase.  I am looking forward to seeing what you and Badger will accomplish together.

I took a look at the more recent posts in the General Senatorial Discussion thread before and thought it was just for procedural matters, but seeing the OP it looks like it was meant for more than that. If I am elected I will try to make it work. Thank you Yankee.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 04:56:20 PM »

Endorsed for one of the 3 top preferences.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 10:33:39 PM »

Thank you Kalwejt!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 10:35:27 PM »

You're getting amazing preferences. Keep it up!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 09:18:28 PM »

Congratulations on your victory, and I hope to see you in April for the rematch.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 09:18:55 PM »

Congratulations. Waiting to serve along with you Smiley
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 12:12:17 AM »

Congratulations Smiley
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 03:27:49 PM »

I am honored to have received the votes of so many Atlasians. At the beginning I did not believe I had much chance of winning. When the one seat became two and two turned into three, it seemed more of a possibility, but the results were far more than I could have expected. I am honored by the encouragement to run I received from my party and by all the support I received from the RPP as well. Also for all those 2,3, and 4th preferences I received from voters across the political spectrum, thank you so much.  Having been elected for an at-large seat, I hope to be a good Senator for all Atlasians, and I will welcome input from all.

So, when do I start?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies