Man receives 25 years for insulting creators of stupid, unfunny show
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:31:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Man receives 25 years for insulting creators of stupid, unfunny show
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Man receives 25 years for insulting creators of stupid, unfunny show  (Read 27643 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2011, 01:00:19 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/02/24/virginia.terror.sentence/

If I were Obama this guy would be my first pardon.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 01:16:08 AM »

So, if he attacked Seth McFarlane, would the punishment fit the crime?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 01:17:26 AM »

So, if he attacked Seth McFarlane, would the punishment fit the crime?

I'd hope he would receive some sort of trophy or medal for that.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 01:31:55 AM »

Troll much?

Terribly written article btw. It buries the real lead and goes for the attention getting headline. Only in last paragraph do you get to the meaty charge. He also threatened Facebook users of the draw Muhammed thing and called on people to leave fake bombs.
"Chesser also admitted that he tried to go to Somalia to join Al-Shabaab, an Islamic militant group that the United States considers a terrorist organization."  He tried to link up with this group twice.

Clearly needs a pardon.

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 10:51:57 AM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 12:09:15 PM »

25 years is a little harsh, but he was making what seemed to me a TERRORIST THREAT! Id give him 15. If this were Seth McFarlene, he would get life Im sure. And South Park is the best show on television. I love it, because they make fun of everyone, muslims included, unlike family guy, which only targets special needs people.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 04:21:41 PM »

Why am I not surprised that BRTD supports terrorism when it comes to South Park?

It may be a stupid show, but the man is still a terrorist who got what he deserved.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 04:26:30 PM »

I'm also not surprised that BRTD is outright misrepresenting this criminal's actions. What he did wasn't an insult--it was encouraging criminal activity, and he even posted the home addresses so that people could "pay them a visit".
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 08:33:23 PM »

BRTD, what you're congratulating this guy for is literally the same thing as those rabid Tea Party types that posted home addresses of Democratic Congressmen and threw bricks in their windows and such. IIRC you've had plenty of negative things to say about them. Hypocrisy much?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 10:35:52 AM »

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 10:56:34 AM »

...unlike family guy, which only targets special needs people.

and Asians, and hicks, and Jews, and homosexuals, and black people, and Southerners, and paranoid conservatives, and tree huggers, etc., etc.,

I agree that the title of the thread is misleading and that the article is poorly written.  Just to be clear, this guy is not being charged with, or sentenced for, insulting the creators of a show.

That said, I also think the sentence was harsh.  All he did was speak something, write something, and maybe attempt to enjoy his right of free association with a group of people.  Somewhere in Virginia, James Madison and Thomas Jefferson must be rolling over in their graves.  Most of the time I think opebo's diatribes against the "bad place" are silly, but I'd have to agree when he calls it a Police State.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 12:13:32 PM »

...unlike family guy, which only targets special needs people.

and Asians, and hicks, and Jews, and homosexuals, and black people, and Southerners, and paranoid conservatives, and tree huggers, etc., etc.,

I agree that the title of the thread is misleading and that the article is poorly written.  Just to be clear, this guy is not being charged with, or sentenced for, insulting the creators of a show.

That said, I also think the sentence was harsh.  All he did was speak something, write something, and maybe attempt to enjoy his right of free association with a group of people.  Somewhere in Virginia, James Madison and Thomas Jefferson must be rolling over in their graves.  Most of the time I think opebo's diatribes against the "bad place" are silly, but I'd have to agree when he calls it a Police State.

He was charged with two things, and I'd bet that the charge of providing material support to a terrorist organization  carries a harsher sentence, and is the reason why the sentence was 25 years instead of just a few.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 01:05:49 PM »

BRTD, what you're congratulating this guy for is literally the same thing as those rabid Tea Party types that posted home addresses of Democratic Congressmen and threw bricks in their windows and such. IIRC you've had plenty of negative things to say about them. Hypocrisy much?

Both actions are deplorable.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 01:30:37 PM »

25 years is a little harsh, but he was making what seemed to me a TERRORIST THREAT! Id give him 15. If this were Seth McFarlene, he would get life Im sure. And South Park is the best show on television. I love it, because they make fun of everyone, muslims included, unlike family guy, which only targets special needs people.

Uh no. Family Guy is absolutely vicious to right wingers. It's even hit Vietnam vets. Would South Park ever be willing to do a joke like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boN2lR7vwWE
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 01:40:06 PM »

Uh no. Family Guy is absolutely vicious to right wingers. It's even hit Vietnam vets. Would South Park ever be willing to do a joke like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boN2lR7vwWE

There was a joke in that video?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 02:10:26 PM »

SP is also vicous to right wingers, but its funny. Family Guy is just nasty some times.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 02:25:16 PM »

SP is also vicous to right wingers, but its funny. Family Guy is just nasty some times.

No it's not funny. It's just the same type of "humor" as the Seltzer and Friedberg movies. OMG CELEBRITY REFERENCE! OMG SOMETHING "OFFENSIVE" AND "SHOCKING"! Family Guy has great humor and I have never been offended by anything on it besides the episode where they attacked Christians. South Park offends me all the time with their right-wing garbage and just being stupid and unfunny.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 02:28:48 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2011, 02:30:51 PM by Ghost_white »

Not a fan of either but at least South Park doesn't rely on formulaic 20-30 year old pop culture references/cut away gags for 90% of their jokes. Also even with basically cut and paste character designs the show is still better animated than Seth MacFarlane's poor excuse for drawings.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 02:50:31 PM »

No it's not funny. It's just the same type of "humor" as the Seltzer and Friedberg movies. OMG CELEBRITY REFERENCE! OMG SOMETHING "OFFENSIVE" AND "SHOCKING"! Family Guy has great humor and I have never been offended by anything on it besides the episode where they attacked Christians. South Park offends me all the time with their right-wing garbage and just being stupid and unfunny.

The sentence in bold I can't tell if you're talking about South Park or Family Guy...
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 05:39:09 PM »

Family Guy has great humor and I have never been offended by anything on it besides the episode where they attacked Christians.

You have no reason to be offended by that; you're an atheist.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You think that everything right-wing is "garbage". Roll Eyes

And you still haven't told us: even if South Park were a stupid/unfunny show, how does that excuse or justify this man's terrorism?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 06:07:59 PM »

South Park has entire episodes that don't reference a single pop culture icon.  I like Family Guy, but I can't say I've seen them go a commercial break act without at least one reference joke.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 07:03:51 PM »

the charge of providing material support to a terrorist organization  carries a harsher sentence

It should have read "attempting to provide material support" since that was the charge, according to the FBI website.  I'll stand by my post.  I've never agreed with the law that makes giving money or time to an organization a crime.  I don't know whether the supreme court has ever ruled specifically on the law--and I don't imagine such a ruling would be the result of this case since this guy freely admits his guilt--but it'd be interesting to see their opinion, whichever way they would rule.  I'll admit that as a non-lawyer person, I may not understand the subtleties of the law, but it just seems to me that this "material support" charge is a desperate, catch-all phrase that flies directly against the spirit of our constitutional freedoms.  If I take up arms against the government, that's another matter, and I could reasonably expected to be imprisoned or executed for that, but I ought to have the right to give time and money to any organization I want to give it to.  
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 07:18:26 PM »

Family Guy has great humor and I have never been offended by anything on it besides the episode where they attacked Christians.

False.

And you still haven't told us: even if South Park were a stupid/unfunny show, how does that excuse or justify this man's terrorism?

If he got South Park to cease production it would do wonders for our culture. Just like getting Friedberg and Seltzer to quit making movies.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 07:34:37 PM »

False.

So what religion are you a part of?

And you still haven't told us: even if South Park were a stupid/unfunny show, how does that excuse or justify this man's terrorism?[/quote]

If he got South Park to cease production it would do wonders for our culture. Just like getting Friedberg and Seltzer to quit making movies.
[/quote]

So? Again, it doesn't matter; he's still a terrorist.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011, 07:36:57 PM »

False.

So what religion are you a part of?

Christianity.

[/quote]

So? Again, it doesn't matter; he's still a terrorist.[/quote]

Hordes of your fellow Catholics love the IRA and would argue they aren't terrorists, so I'll take the same attitude toward this guy.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies