ILV Proposal Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:01:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  ILV Proposal Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ILV Proposal Thread  (Read 2198 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2004, 11:17:13 PM »
« edited: November 29, 2004, 06:22:09 PM by re-Governor ilikeverin »

Yes, it's time to make some proposals... and I think there will be quite a few Smiley

((Sorry I was gone for a while; right now I'm in a hotel in Madison, WI... I'm coming back from a Thanksgiving trip to Detroit to visit relatives Smiley))

To start out, a bit of fluff:

(Proposition 03)

The Ilikeverin Pronunciation Bill

The name 'ilikeverin' will be prounounced in four syllables.  The syllables will be enunciated as:

I (): As in, "I enjoy disco music"

Like (lk): As in "I like eggs."

Ve (veh): As in, "Vent"

Rin (rihn): As in "Errand" (lol, I hope you pronounce errand the same as me Smiley)

The stress of 'ilikeverin' will be on the 've' syllable.

And none of that Mr. Verin stuff.  Verin is not a last name.

~~~

Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 11:37:06 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2004, 06:21:44 PM by re-Governor ilikeverin »

Now for a controversial one Smiley

~~~

Party Name Change Act

The current parties with the names 'Atlas Forum Democratic Party' and 'Atlas Forum Republican Party' must change their names by February 1, 2005 to something suitable (as judged by the Governor at that time), or the parties will be declared non-existant in the Midwest.

All registrations under 'the Democratic Party', 'the Democrats', 'Democrat', or 'the Republican Party', 'the Republicans', or 'Republican' or the like, before February 1, 2005, will be considered valid registrations under the name of the new party.

~~~

Cue the Libertarians for complaints about this bill!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 11:40:04 PM »

I pronounce it eh-rund, mate Cheesy

Interesting porosals. Actually, the first one is just stupid (Cheesy) but the second one is interesting Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 11:43:57 PM »

Eh, close enough Smiley (though eh-rind is VASTLY SUPERIOR Evil)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, you have heard 'THE RECORDING' Smiley (Oh, does anyone have some spare space I could put my voice with a recording of name pronunciation?)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Do you mean that in a good way? *hopeful look*
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 11:51:27 PM »

How else do you pronounce it?  I've always pronounced it "aye laike VEH-rihn".
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 11:59:31 PM »

What the hell is the purpose of that stuff?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 05:37:46 PM »

Gabu: aye laike VEE-rihn Tongue  (Reaganfan always calls me 'Mr. Veerin' when I'm on his show >P Wink)

Akno: The first one was because I wanted to clear up some stuff in my pronunciation; also, I figured it'd be good way to start a thread, with a proposal Smiley

Also, I'm shocked no Dems/Reps/Libers noticed flawed wording with my Name Change Bill.  It was slated to come into effect in February 2004 :-}

Also added a clause so that previous Dem/Rep registrations will be considered registered under the new name.

New Constitutional Amendment coming up shortly Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 06:21:13 PM »

I'll number Propositions from now on (and change the earlier ones).

~~~

• Section I, Article I, III will be replaced with 'Gubernatorial elections will be held on the second to last Friday of the month, with the exception of December, where the election will be held on the second Friday of that month, and last until the following Sunday.
  • Section I, Article I, VIII will be stricken.
  • A new Article in Section I, to be placed between the current Sections I and II, will be titled "Section II: Election Procedure".  The current section II will be renamed "Section III: The Powers of the Governor".
  • Article I will contain the following clauses {is that what they're called?}: Section I, Article I, II, III, and VII, with VII being renamed to IV.
  • The new Article II will contain the following clauses: Section I, Article I, IV, V, VI, with the clauses to be renamed III, V, and VI.

{Note: All Clauses will still be referred to by their new title in this amendment, to try to make the change more apparant.  If this is confusing, tell me, I'll refer to them in their old form Smiley}

• A new Section I, Article II, I will be created, and it will read, 'The election will be administered by the federal Secretary of Forum Affairs, or the Chief Justice of the federal Supreme Court, according to the wishes of the Governor.  If the Governor does not choose, the election will be held by the federal Secretary of Forum Affairs.'
  • A new Section I, Article II, II will be created, and will read, 'The filing deadline to be placed on the ballot for the office of Governor will be 24 hours before the election is to begin.'
  • Section I, Article II, III will be amended to read, 'Polls will open Friday morning at 12:00am midnight, Central Time, and close at 12:00am midnight on Monday morning, Central Time.  The elections will be administered by the rules set forth in Section I, Article II, Clause IV'
  • A new Section I, Article II, IV will be created, and will read, 'The election will be held by instant runoff voting (IRV).  No write-in candidates will be accepted.  You must preference all candidates.  If both of those provisions are violated, the ballot will be considered spoiled and will be thrown out.  If only one of them is, the ballot will be placed aside in case of a tie.'
  • Section I, Article II, V will be amended to read, 'The governor-elect will be sworn in the following Thursday of their election by the Chief Justice of the federal Supreme Court. If the Justice of the federal Supreme Court is not present or has been elected Governor, the Governor-elect is given the permission to swear themselves in.'
  • Section I, Article II, VI will be amended to read, 'If the final preference count is tied, then the provisional ballots from people who had one error with their ballot will be counted as normal ballots.  If that is tied, then the winner is determined by the candidate who recieved the most first place votes. If that is tied, then the winner is determined by an instant runoff between the tied candidates. If that is also tied, then the winner is determined by a majority vote of Senators representing states in the Midwest region that have registered voters residing within them. If that is tied, then one of the votes is randomly discarded by an impartial judge (that judge to be decided by the Senatorial panel). If it manages to be tied after that, votes are randomly discarded until it is no longer a tie.'

~~~

Whew, I hope that covers it Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 04:43:15 AM »

Haha, interesting. Smiley
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 11:52:39 AM »

I oppose the Party name change act.

The Regional government has no jurisdiction to define the duties of Federal officials, specifically the Secretary of Forum Affairs.

I oppose all of the Governor's proposals, and he has just lost my vote.  I officially endorse Dabeav for Governor, and encourage all sensibly minded Midwesterners to vote for Dabeav.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 02:23:10 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2004, 02:25:12 PM by htmldon »

I emphatically support your Party Name change proposal and hope that the Governor of my region would be as courageous as yourself to propose it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2004, 03:45:14 PM »

I emphatically support your Party Name change proposal and hope that the Governor of my region would be as courageous as yourself to propose it.

While your Governor agrees with the spirit behind that Act (namely that as a fantasy political system, it would be best if we didn't have real life parties duplicated here) he also believes that it isn't any business of a government what parties decide to call themselves.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 06:13:18 PM »

It almost happened voluntarily.  I think if the timing had been just a tad different, these parties would have diminshed at the same time and we would not be under their yoke now.

While your Governor agrees with the spirit behind that Act (namely that as a fantasy political system, it would be best if we didn't have real life parties duplicated here) he also believes that it isn't any business of a government what parties decide to call themselves.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004, 06:55:11 PM »

The Regional government has no jurisdiction to define the duties of Federal officials, specifically the Secretary of Forum Affairs.

Then who do you suppose should swear the governor-elect in?

Also, why did you sign the Midwest constitution, which specifies that the current District 3 Senator swears the Governor in?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2004, 07:22:33 PM »

Actually, you make a good point.  The region cannot define the duties of senators, either.  The regional constitution, as written, could cause a serious constitutional crisis if the senator refused to swear in the governor, which he or she would be within their rights to do.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2004, 07:27:45 PM »

Actually, you make a good point. The region cannot define the duties of senators, either. The regional constitution, as written, could cause a serious constitutional crisis if the senator refused to swear in the governor, which he or she would be within their rights to do.

Well, what do you propose we do about it?

Go on, be my guest, if I like it it could become a part of Prop 5 Smiley

Or, if I don't, you could always use Section III of the Midwest Constitution:

Section III: Petitions
A petition must be in the form of a thread to be recognized by the governor.

A petition must have 3 or more signatures to get on the ballot.

The 3 or more signatures must come within the first two weeks of a petition existence for it to be put on the ballot.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2004, 10:04:24 PM »

The Midwestern Regional Government shall appropriate 500 million dollars to construct a Joint Regional Training Center at Fort Bliss, Texas. This facility shall consist of an accurate 50 building replica of a desert city to simulate the battlefields the Southeastern National Guard troops are fighting on in Afghanistan and Iraq.

In addition, this facility will be made availible to the Southeastern National Guard and Midwestern National Guard for training purposes and will be availible for lease by the Atlasian Government.

The facility will only be built with the cooperation of the Southeastern Government to the tune of 500 million dollars. The Governors of each region shall appoint someone to oversee the construction of this facility. After it is completed it shall come under the rotating command of an appropriate commander from either region.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2004, 11:28:53 PM »

The Midwestern Regional Government shall appropriate 500 million dollars to construct a Joint Regional Training Center at Fort Bliss, Texas. This facility shall consist of an accurate 50 building replica of a desert city to simulate the battlefields the Southeastern National Guard troops are fighting on in Afghanistan and Iraq.

In addition, this facility will be made availible to the Southeastern National Guard and Midwestern National Guard for training purposes and will be availible for lease by the Atlasian Government.

The facility will only be built with the cooperation of the Southeastern Government to the tune of 500 million dollars. The Governors of each region shall appoint someone to oversee the construction of this facility. After it is completed it shall come under the rotating command of an appropriate commander from either region.

Thank you Governor.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2004, 11:52:55 PM »

Why does the Midwest still have control of bases in Texas even though that state was moved to the Southeast?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2004, 12:07:59 AM »

Fort Bliss stradles the New Mexico/Texas border, altho the mailing address is in Texas.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2004, 11:07:07 AM »

*bump*

(Since I have a bad memory right now, I can't remember whether I announced my candidacy. (though I think I did, but I'm just making sure =))

So, yeah, I'm running for Midwest government in case you didn't know Wink)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2004, 03:56:28 AM »

I oppose Proposition 1 and urge all midwestern residents to vote against it.
The name may be pronounced either
"I L Ike Verin" (vowels as in Kevin)
or
"Eelie Kevrin".
I also officially re-like Ike.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2004, 03:49:06 PM »

Whilst the Governor's attempt to amend his Region's constitution to bring it into line with the realities of todays legal apparatus in Atlasia is truly admirable, I wonder if it would be easier (not to mention less confusing) simply to hold a second constitutional convention and write a new Regional constitution.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies