A local Libertarian victory
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:59:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A local Libertarian victory
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A local Libertarian victory  (Read 1569 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2004, 10:52:27 AM »

I just have to boast about this little victory in my home state. Ben Brandon now occupies the new post of Dade County Executive and  is the first Libertarian in Georgia to ever win a partisan race. He came in second on Nov 2, beating the Democrat, and in the runoff yesterday defeated the Republican.

I'm hoping more Libertarians will run under his kind of campaign - one that appeals to a greater deal of people. He didn't call for abolishing things like many in my party do, instead he packaged libertarian philosophy perfectly -

"The Libertarian Party strives to be a party of principle. As such, a party of principle must take a bold stand on the issues of the day. As a matter of basic principle, I advocate the reduction of government intervention in all areas. I oppose any increases in taxation beyond the absolute minimum required to provide basic services. I stand firm and uncompromising in support of individual and economic liberty. I strive to protect these at all costs."
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 11:05:34 AM »

Congragulations!

If the LP would have more reasonable candidates like this they would do far better in other elections.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 11:06:08 AM »

I just have to boast about this little victory in my home state. Ben Brandon now occupies the new post of Dade County Executive and  is the first Libertarian in Georgia to ever win a partisan race. He came in second on Nov 2, beating the Democrat, and in the runoff yesterday defeated the Republican.

I'm hoping more Libertarians will run under his kind of campaign - one that appeals to a greater deal of people. He didn't call for abolishing things like many in my party do, instead he packaged libertarian philosophy perfectly -

"The Libertarian Party strives to be a party of principle. As such, a party of principle must take a bold stand on the issues of the day. As a matter of basic principle, I advocate the reduction of government intervention in all areas. I oppose any increases in taxation beyond the absolute minimum required to provide basic services. I stand firm and uncompromising in support of individual and economic liberty. I strive to protect these at all costs."

Now that is a Libertarian candidate I would vote for. Keep these victories, albiet small ones, coming. Hopefully you can actually gain some power.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 03:31:58 PM »

Libertarians would win a lot more elections if they ran on the Republican ticket like Ron Paul.

I refuse to vote Libertarian until they get a more original name Wink
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 03:55:34 PM »

Libertarians would win a lot more elections if they ran on the Republican ticket like Ron Paul.

I suggest the "Stop Screwing With Us Party."
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 07:17:17 PM »

You are correct, we would - but there's a problem. The Republican Party is mired with those who are for big government, the party would be ineffectual and not have a united philosophy - kinda like the Democrats are right now. Do you really want that?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 07:29:53 PM »

Thats cool. Executive is top position for a county, right?

How populated is this county?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 07:31:15 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2004, 07:40:23 PM by Alcon »

Congratulations! Any seat taken from the Republicans is a victory in my mind, and I like the Libertarians much more than Republicans. Smiley

I believe it is. The population for Dade County, Georgia, is 15,508. For reference, it went Bush, 70%-29%.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 08:59:03 PM »

Yes, as far as I know it is the highest office in the county.

Census information has the population at 15,154 in 2000. Total area is 173.9 square miles. It is the county located in the northwest corner of Georgia, a mountainous area.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 01:25:38 AM »

I reckon it's just following in the vein of the Democrats and Republicans. Either they should all change their names or all keep them. I reckon keeping them is better, myself.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2004, 09:50:37 AM »

Just another article on the subject, with a few more details on the position won: http://www.lp.org/lpnews/0412/brandon.html
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2004, 06:23:04 PM »

I heard about this! Great news!

I, personally, favor extremism over reaching out, but whatever way you run your campaign, a Libertarian victory is good for whoever it affects.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2004, 10:54:33 PM »

I, personally, favor extremism over reaching out, but whatever way you run your campaign, a Libertarian victory is good for whoever it affects.
And that is why Libertarians like you will never win any major political office.
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2004, 12:59:13 PM »

And that is why Libertarians like you will never win any major political office.

Well that's just me.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2004, 09:38:03 PM »

Well that's just me.

I'm personally for reaching out and making libertarianism mainstream rather than extreme.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2004, 02:03:54 PM »

Well that's just me.

I'm personally for reaching out and making libertarianism mainstream rather than extreme.
I hope that their are more Libertarians like you John. I would like to see your party become mainstream.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2004, 02:19:00 PM »

Well that's just me.

I hope that their are more Libertarians like you John. I would like to see your party become mainstream.

There are. The problem is most of them won't join the party. However, I realize that the party won't ever become anything unless people join and fund it.
stry_cat

Political Matrix
E: 6.25, S: -1.38

P P P
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2004, 02:59:13 PM »

Congrats! 

More proof the the LP needs to start on the local level and move up.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies