Will Kerry meet fundraising goals?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:34:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Will Kerry meet fundraising goals?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Will Kerry meet fundraising goals?  (Read 4711 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2004, 11:42:16 PM »

I just noticed on Kerry's website it's day six of his goal to raise $10 million in 10 days and he only has $4.6 million.
Sad
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 11:47:07 PM »

"...he only has $4.6 million. "  And that's counting the $4.5 million dollar estate!  I voted yes because John Kerry has an uncanny ability to change goals at will.  Whatever he gets, that was his goal.  Turn that frown upside down.  Smiley
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 11:48:29 PM »

Ah ha ha. I guess you're right. So if he only raises $70 million from now till the convention while Bush raises $180 million, he has met his goal. And if he only gets 180 electoral votes, he has met his goal too...
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 11:51:30 PM »

Two easiest targets since Carter vs. Ford.  Jay Leno's gonna make a killing this year!
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 03:41:50 AM »

I just noticed on Kerry's website it's day six of his goal to raise $10 million in 10 days and he only has $4.6 million.
Sad

In the LA Times/ Washington Post Kerry finances where recently mentioned but it was not nearly a dire as you seem to think... $14million has been raised over the internet, eight million was raised else where throughout March and the Democratic gala which is next month (I think) is expected to raise another $20 million or so and then there are the unions who are expected to bring in a fair amount of money in April...things are not nearly as dire as you think comrade...Kerry smashed Dean's internet fundraising record a few days back... Personally I'd be surprised if we don’t eventually raise around $100 million between now and the Convention....  
CTguy

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 05:48:44 AM »

Most of the outside groups will also help Kerry.  There aren't that many conservative groups with big money other than maybe the NRA (which probably will hurt Bush more than help him anyways).  Moveon.org is already spending millions as we speak which should counter any Bush message long enough to give Kerry time to fundraise.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 07:22:22 AM »

Most of the outside groups will also help Kerry.  There aren't that many conservative groups with big money other than maybe the NRA (which probably will hurt Bush more than help him anyways).  Moveon.org is already spending millions as we speak which should counter any Bush message long enough to give Kerry time to fundraise.

I doubt that the NRA's support will hurt Bush most americans dont whant a ban on the right to own guns...sure i want assualt weapons banned and background checks for all others...but generally the NRA isnt an alienating force...added to this Bush will get plenty of small donations from conservatives as well as big donations from Ken Lay and Co...

CTguy

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 07:42:10 AM »

If the NRA targets its message it wont hurt him.  But being associated with the NRA on the two coasts is commiting political suicide.  That's why the NRA has had to take underhanded tactics lately...  such as using their money to promote issue ads for candidates that have nothing to do with gun control itself but rather promote another issue position that helps a pro-gun candidate get elected while ignoring the gun issue entirely.  They did this in Connecticut in a few close congressional races last time.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 08:05:59 AM »

No...you're only supposed to make goals that you know you will reach.  He won't make it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 08:50:58 AM »

Cause moveon.org won't hurt Kerry at all... Wink
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 01:51:22 PM »

Beet, to take this in the direction I erroneously thought you were going with the original post, you may enjoy reading

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/nation/columns/kurtzhoward/
ShapeShifter

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 07:28:52 PM »

I believe he won't meet his fundraising goals. Money is going to be a weak point for Kerry.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 07:39:00 PM »

Sad

In the LA Times/ Washington Post Kerry finances where recently mentioned but it was not nearly a dire as you seem to think... $14million has been raised over the internet, eight million was raised else where throughout March and the Democratic gala which is next month (I think) is expected to raise another $20 million or so and then there are the unions who are expected to bring in a fair amount of money in April...things are not nearly as dire as you think comrade...Kerry smashed Dean's internet fundraising record a few days back... Personally I'd be surprised if we don’t eventually raise around $100 million between now and the Convention....  

Ben we'll see, I'm not making any definite predictions. If he has $20 million now he has to raise $20 million/month to reach $100 million by convention time which is a challenge but not impossible. I do think he has a good possibility of reaching that amount. Kerry's obviously doing much better than Dean because Dean was never over about 25% support even among Democrats, and it wasn't even election year yet.

angus- I'm the only guy in the world who doesn't watch late night TV.
zachman

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 08:03:09 PM »

Kerry should make it. I signed up on his website and I get a daily e-mail from Bill Clinton, Carville, Daschle or whoever the campaign chooses that day. These letters keep the idea of donating fresh. I will not make my $100 donation until the time of the convention.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2004, 08:13:56 PM »

Beet, that makes two of us then.  I just assumed any American not living under a rock would recognize the name Leno.  Funny how people read between the lines.  I once asked a question about Howard Stern, whom I don't watch either, and got all these responses about how people who watch his show are perverts and such.  I am sufficiently nerdy, however, that I watched every minute of every DNC primary debate and I never got the feeling that Kerry 'won' the debates.  I'd say it was Braun for best Iraq position, Sharpton for best oratory, Edwards for best hair, and Kucinich for best consistency and the balls to get behind a position and stick with it.  In any case, I was not making light of your question just to make light of your question, and this is the section of the aforementioned article to which I was referring:

"After a 15-month campaign that took John Kerry from the brink of defeat to the nomination, and after a string of off-the-cuff statements that even his aides described as potentially damaging to his White House hopes, it may be hard to begrudge him a few days off.

"Still, as Mr. Kerry disappeared to regroup on the slopes of Sun Valley this weekend, he left Democrats recoiling at the disparity between his campaign in the works and that of the White House, which has devoted six months to preparing for this moment.

"As the White House greeted Mr. Kerry's claim on the Democratic nomination with an avalanche of advertisements and attacks, the challenger seemed at least a little spent as he faced the challenges of raising money, building a staff, responding to all of what his aides called the 'incoming,' and retooling his campaign to appeal to a general election audience.

"Après ski, of course."
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2004, 08:23:25 PM »

George Soros is backing the anti-Bush campaign to counter some of Bush's massive warchest.  Even if the non-profit loophole is closed, he is still worth billions and the law doesn't ban him from attacking a candidate on his own initiative this far out.  He could even register to run as an independent to get around any McCain-Feingold, like in Brewster's Millions with the "vote none of the above".
DarthKosh

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2004, 08:26:19 PM »

George Soros is backing the anti-Bush campaign to counter some of Bush's massive warchest.  Even if the non-profit loophole is closed, he is still worth billions and the law doesn't ban him from attacking a candidate on his own initiative this far out.  He could even register to run as an independent to get around any McCain-Feingold, like in Brewster's Millions with the "vote none of the above".

The last two months MoveOn.org and the like with be silenced so it will hurt Kerry towards the end.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2004, 09:22:19 PM »

MoveOn.org is a website.  McCain-Feingold has no jurisdiction there.  If the FEC came down on them they could just change their site to moveon.org.uk or moveon.org.fr and the US government couldn't touch them.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2004, 09:37:55 PM »

Thank you.  Further evidence of what a really lousy idea that bit of legislation was to begin with.  For those who have no clue what the constitution says, at least this provides a practical rebuttal.  Nice.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2004, 03:38:54 AM »

So long as groups like "the club for growth" and other conservative pressure groups run ads...I think it only fair that Moveon.org and The Media Fund also do so...

McCain/ Feingold is a nice idea but sadly Bush's massive fundraising from rich donors and groups has effectively undermined M/F...

I know what would be good….if Teresa Heniz thinks that the Bush campaign has begun a “character assassination campaign” and starts using her personal fortune to support her husband….I’m sure she can spare a $100 million…that would go down nicely…  
DarthKosh

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2004, 12:54:10 PM »

So long as groups like "the club for growth" and other conservative pressure groups run ads...I think it only fair that Moveon.org and The Media Fund also do so...

McCain/ Feingold is a nice idea but sadly Bush's massive fundraising from rich donors and groups has effectively undermined M/F...

I know what would be good….if Teresa Heniz thinks that the Bush campaign has begun a “character assassination campaign” and starts using her personal fortune to support her husband….I’m sure she can spare a $100 million…that would go down nicely…  

You mean the fortune of her dead husband?
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2004, 12:56:00 PM »

It's in trust.  She can't withdraw like that, she can only direct investment of it.
DarthKosh

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2004, 12:57:20 PM »

It's in trust.  She can't withdraw like that, she can only direct investment of it.

Maybe she should by Kerry a personality with it.
MN-Troy
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2004, 01:51:51 PM »

Undermined McCain/Fiengold? I don't think so.

The Republican Party always had and still has a very large donor base. That is why the party has been very successful in raising hard money.

Do the rich donate to the GOP? Yes. But also the GOP and President Bush lead in receiving the smallest contributions over America.
DarthKosh

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2004, 02:01:28 PM »

Undermined McCain/Fiengold? I don't think so.

The Republican Party always had and still has a very large donor base. That is why the party has been very successful in raising hard money.

Do the rich donate to the GOP? Yes. But also the GOP and President Bush lead in receiving the smallest contributions over America.

The Dems get their fair share of the rich.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies