Canada: Conservatives Within Striking Distance of Parliamentary Majority
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:53:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada: Conservatives Within Striking Distance of Parliamentary Majority
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Canada: Conservatives Within Striking Distance of Parliamentary Majority  (Read 3212 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2011, 11:10:49 PM »

...if elections were suddenly called.  It appears 40% is the magic number:

TORIES AHEAD IN CANADA AS VIEWS ON IGNATIEFF FALL MARKEDLY

PUBLISHED ON MAR 10, 2011

The Conservative Party maintains the upper hand in Canada’s federal political scene, and support for the Liberal Party has dropped as negative perceptions of its leader have increased, a new Vision Critical / Angus Reid poll has found.

In the online survey of a representative national sample of 1,021 Canadian adults, 39 per cent of decided voters and leaners (unchanged since February) would support the governing Conservative Party in the next federal election.

The Liberal Party is second with 23 per cent (-3), followed by the New Democratic Party (NDP) with 17 per cent (-1), the Bloc Québécois with nine per cent (=), and the Green Party also with nine per cent (+3). Three per cent of decided voters say they would vote for other parties, including seven per cent of those aged 18-to-34.

Only the Conservatives and the Greens are ahead of their 2008 federal election totals, and the Liberals have fallen below the 25 per cent line for the first time since December 2009.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:04:49 AM »

Don't the greens tend to over poll?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 12:11:40 AM »

The Liberal Party continuing to be just as impressive as ever.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 08:41:49 AM »

Angus-Reid's polls are more and more outlierish these days, given that nobody shows the Liberals as low as that. Though granted, the PurgaTories are riding high and knowing Harpy, he'll probably call an election. I hate this stupid ass country.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 09:14:49 AM »

Angus-Reid's polls are more and more outlierish these days, given that nobody shows the Liberals as low as that. Though granted, the PurgaTories are riding high and knowing Harpy, he'll probably call an election. I hate this stupid ass country.

I don't really understand why, though, aside from the incompetent management of the Liberals, and systemic reluctance for alot of people to support the NDP, as I don't really see how they've done anything remarkable at all.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 05:15:25 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2011, 05:45:07 PM by Lief »

Eh, in a country like Canada where you have four center-left parties and one center-right party, and FPTP, you really just need to not piss off the 25-30% of the country that is conservative and look less incompetent than the Liberals (which is easy) for the 10-15% that are centrist swing voters and you should be doing well enough.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 05:21:51 PM »

I don't really understand why, though, aside from the incompetent management of the Liberals, and systemic reluctance for alot of people to support the NDP, as I don't really see how they've done anything remarkable at all.

It beats me too as well, considering that:
-the PurgaTories are under judicial investigation for campaign financing fraud in 2006 and 4 of them including 2 senators are indicted or something
-the minister for Intl Dev is under fire for forging a document and lying under oath to committee about it. Though admittedly it's tough to name at least two cabinet ministers who have a functioning brain and/or more than 3 active brain cells

Plus the whole thing about the huge deficit, the G20 summit being a fraud and so forth. But I suppose the attack ads are really working, and Canadians are very gullible people who'll believe anything they're fed if it's repeated time and time again. They basically fell for the "coalitions are illegal"/"coalitions are like military coups" in 2009.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 06:24:57 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2011, 06:31:36 PM by Leftbehind »

[..]and systemic reluctance for alot of people to support the NDP

Because they're seen as a wasted vote, or...?

Reminds of the UK in the 80's. A True Blue Tory, but with the left so hopelessly split, basically unopposed.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 07:07:14 PM »

Sort've off topic, but will the Greens actually get a seat anywhere. Love how our Greens can win 1 on 1% of the PV... targetting resources and all that.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 08:11:09 PM »

Sort've off topic, but will the Greens actually get a seat anywhere. Love how our Greens can win 1 on 1% of the PV... targetting resources and all that.

Elizabeth May is apparently going to run in Saanich-Gulf Islands. I don't think she stands much of a chance though.
2008 Results
Conservative Gary Lunn 43.43%
Liberal Briony Penn 39.36%
Green Andrew Lewis 10.45%
New Democrat Julian West 5.69%
Others 1.08%
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 08:34:56 PM »

Elizabeth May is apparently going to run in Saanich-Gulf Islands. I don't think she stands much of a chance though.
2008 Results
Conservative Gary Lunn 43.43%
Liberal Briony Penn 39.36%
Green Andrew Lewis 10.45%
New Democrat Julian West 5.69%
Others 1.08%

Hmm, still 8% and no seats is hardly fair. If any "Westminister system" country needs electoral reform, it's the Canadian House of Commons...
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 10:45:07 PM »

Actually, it's Senate reform that Canada needs. It's neither population based, nor province based, and it's unelected but still partisan. Seriously, it should either be province-based with all provinces having equal representation, or population-based with representation proportionate to the population of the province. Should be elected, too, preferably with each province being an at-large Multi Member electorate.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 10:55:40 PM »

Actually, it's Senate reform that Canada needs. It's neither population based, nor province based, and it's unelected but still partisan. Seriously, it should either be province-based with all provinces having equal representation, or population-based with representation proportionate to the population of the province. Should be elected, too, preferably with each province being an at-large Multi Member electorate.

Yeah, the British Lords is also a pile of complete crap.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 11:32:34 PM »

Yeah, the British Lords is also a pile of complete crap.

That's why I prefer AV in the Commons, PR for the Lords.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 01:18:50 AM »

The House of Lords needs abolishing and the HOC needs PR. Although what you're proposing is largely what they're offering.

Not so long ago they got 15% and no seats, mind.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 01:28:58 AM »

Seriously, it should either be province-based with all provinces having equal representation, or population-based with representation proportionate to the population of the province.
Why would province-based be preferrable to some in-between formula that overrepresents the small provinces but still elects more Senators from Ontario - which of course Canada has for the Commons?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 08:24:36 AM »

The Senate ought to be abolished. But the Liberals won't do so, and Harpy has seen the advantages of the current patronage system senate.
RFQ
Rookie
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 10:29:23 PM »

Liberals have been an embarrassment ever since we lost the likes of financially prudent people like Paul Martin.

Many liberals are disillusioned and are left with no other choice but to look to the conservatives.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 10:49:44 PM »

As pleased as I am to have helped to increase the quality of debate on the sh*thole that is this particular board, it doesn't belong here and has been moved entirely be accident. A request has been filed/lodged/reported/etc to move it to International General Discussion, where it ultimately belongs.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 10:58:05 PM »

As pleased as I am to have helped to increase the quality of debate on the sh*thole that is this particular board, it doesn't belong here and has been moved entirely be accident. A request has been filed/lodged/reported/etc to move it to International General Discussion, where it ultimately belongs.

I think this works just fine. Certainly it's better than everything else on this board.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 01:09:08 AM »

Oh, I see Canada has been annexed by the US overnight.

Interesting though that Harper still has a chance to win the Canadian Gubernatorial election.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 01:36:30 AM »

Both the horse-race aspect and the political personalities have generally always paled in comparison to politics south of the border (maybe because Canadians are inherently more reasonable than most peoples), but the Liberals have really succeeded in selecting a leader even less captivating and interesting than Stephen Harper. I can't comment on anything less superficial since I'm not informed (but I do know more about this useless topic than 99.9% of Americans!), but I think the next election's debates are going to induce even less excitement than the Cheney-Lieberman debate. 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 02:13:48 AM »

The Conservative attack ads I saw when I was in Canada basically called Ignatieff an American who hates the UN. All of us Americans were awestruck.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 02:41:07 AM »

The Conservative attack ads I saw when I was in Canada basically called Ignatieff an American who hates the UN. All of us Americans were awestruck.

Are they implying that the University of Calgary > Harvard Huh
Nichlemn

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 03:44:55 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2011, 03:47:46 AM by Nichlemn »

It's quite surprising how the polls have indicated a preservation of the status quo more or less uninterrupted since the 2006 election. I wonder how many people would have predicted that a Canada would still be ruled by a Conservative minority come 2011.

As for this poll, several others indicate Conservatives with about 36% support, so it doesn't look like we'll see an election soon.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies