Anybody else discouraged by 2010 results? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:58:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Anybody else discouraged by 2010 results? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anybody else discouraged by 2010 results?  (Read 1724 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: March 18, 2011, 08:25:53 AM »

Gentrification often results in population loss (at least in the areas being colonised)

I was pushing this line too earlier in the census thread, but reflecting on some of the results, especially Philly and DC growing overall despite having certain areas that surely shrank, make me think now that it might be wrong in many US cases. It may require that the original lower-income population is at least stable enough that the housing is actually all occupied, and there are a lot of families with kids, which are more likely in a white working-class area in other first-world countries than in an American inner city. But it's complicated, so I'm not sure.

Yes; in nearly all cases, prior to gentrification there was a ton of vacant housing in many of these places, often as much as 50% unoccupied. Additionally, early-stage gentrifiers are usually students or young professionals who share apartments--so every bedroom is occupied, sometimes doubly occupied by couples. Now, later on in gentrification, population might fall as the apartment-sharing youngfolk are replaced by families. But the place to look for that phenomenon is where gentrification is already perceived to be over, e.g., Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn or DuPont Circle in DC. Not on the frontiers.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies