Nuclear Power in Germany
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:40:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Nuclear Power in Germany
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Nuclear Power in Germany  (Read 3007 times)
Hans-im-Glück
Franken
Junior Chimp
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2011, 02:17:04 PM »

That's the motto of the nuclear power proponents:

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2011, 02:28:44 PM »

Geiger counters sell out amid atomic angst

The nuclear crisis in Japan has apparently sparked German angst about radiation in faraway Europe. Geiger counters are sold out across Germany, a media report said Wednesday.

“Germany is inclined to fear, especially nuclear fears,” daily Financial Times Deutschland wrote.

The phone line at the Society for Radiation Protection (GS) has been busy since last week’s earthquake and subsequent tsunami destabilized the Fukushima nuclear plant some 250 kilometres from Tokyo, the paper said.

“Most want to know how what’s happening Japan will affect Germany,” GS spokesman Florian Emrich said.

And though experts at the GS have advised callers against taking iodine pills or buying Geiger counters, the particle detectors that measure radiation have quickly disappeared from store shelves.

“I can’t deliver, not a single item,” a spokeswoman for electronics manufacturer Conrad told the paper, adding that advance orders were already in the hundreds.

The company is working “under high pressure” to provide the devices, which cost between €300 and €500.

Georg Dieter Mirow, owner of Mannheim-based company Gamma Scout, a producer of Geiger counters for Conrad and other vendors, described an “assault-like order situation,” saying demand was some 20 times higher than usual.

Another Geiger counter manufacturer, Graetz Strahlungsmeßtechnik in Altena, confirmed the situation.

“Many with family in Japan want to bring a device with them,” sales representative Martina Pavlidis told the paper, adding that for a number of other buyers, the counters served as “psychological help.”

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20110316-33753.html

Tongue

Why only buying the Geiger-counter, when you don't buy this fancy stuff as well ?

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2011, 03:11:13 PM »

That's the motto of the nuclear power proponents:

Anything else to offer but cheap slogans?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2011, 03:40:50 PM »

I wasn't aware that cars were a source of energy. Huh.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2011, 05:12:01 PM »

Thus 'seems' Smiley

Yeah, his explanations make a great deal of sense; the issue of heavy-handed policing and reactions to it clears some things up, certainly. I suppose you can add to that the existence of an unusually large counter-culture and longstanding (understandable!) issues of mistrust of authority.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2011, 07:24:17 PM »

Three Mile Island happened six years after the completion of the last reactor, so no, guess again.

Of course, but nuclear plants take years to complete. I guessed that there were ones being built at that time that were consequently scrapped. It was something of a wild guess, but I must admit that I don't really know why 1974 would be a significant year in the saga of nuclear fission as a source of energy.

I wasn't aware that cars were a source of energy. Huh.

I didn't say that they were. I drew the parallel because, like nuclear energy, cars are a great boon to modern society that can become a great bane when accidents happen. An individual car accident is typically much less dangerous than an individual nuclear accident, but they also occur much more frequently.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2011, 11:28:54 PM »

So, quick reality check for the American Nuclear Brigade. Tell me how old the newest American nuclear power plant is, and speculate on the reasons why. Thank you.
Lawsuits and the fear of more lawsuits.  What do I win?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2011, 12:53:43 AM »

That's a minor part of it.
End of massive subsidies (as in, basically built by government and given away for free) is the main reason. No shareholder company would ever build one in a free market environment, the initial outlay is just too high. And dismantling a closed down one costs just as much... which is a minor part of the reason why all those ancient ones are still running (the major one is that keeping them running is a moneyspinner, of course. At least as long as uranium prices remain this low - ie, exactly as long as McCainish fantasies about building lots of new ones remain fantasies.)
Obviously, all energy sources are massively subsidized one way or another, but nuclear just about takes the cake. I'd need to check the American situation in detail, but I'd be surprised if nuclear waste disposal wasn't payed for by the taxpayer in America just as everywhere else.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies