What was stolen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:44:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  What was stolen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which was stolen?  Ukraine/ FL 2000 / OH 2004
no/no/no

no/no/yes

no/yes/no

no/yes/yes

yes/no/no

yes/no/yes

yes/yes/no

yes/yes/yes

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: What was stolen?  (Read 6094 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2004, 01:50:17 PM »

not neccesarily "fraud" maybe, but disenfranchising non-felon black voters.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2004, 12:10:49 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2004, 12:12:42 AM by Senator Nym90 »

Whichever side won in 2000, it would have been done by fraud. The Republicans happened to win, but if the Dems had gotten a chance to guarantee themselves a win (even if through illegal methods) they would have.

I think both sides commit some fraud at a relatively low level. Honestly, I think Democrats have been much more effective at perpetrating vote fraud because they tend to control things in centralized urban areas with a lot of votes, while Republican strength tends to be spread across a large number of suburban/rural jurisdictions, and major fraud by Republicans would require a great deal more coordination among different parties than would major fraud by the Democrats.

In addition, virtually all the places with reputations for major vote fraud (i.e., Chicago) are under iron-fisted Democratic control.

As far as Florida 2000 is concerned, it was such a confused mess that any number of things contributed to it. The networks calling the state for Gore while the heavily Republican panhandle was still voting surely depressed the Bush vote. Gore's vote was most likely depressed by the Palm Beach County ballot. There were many other things I'm sure, some small scale fraud by both sides and some screwups.

What I found most funny that not a single Republican that I ever heard of came forward to claim he/she intended to vote for Bush, but made a mistake. Could that be possible? My theory is that Democratic voters are trained to blame everybody but themselves for their mistakes, and therefore came out blaming a conspiracy (by a Democratic county-level political hack) for their incorrect vote. A Republican would be embarrassed to admit that he/she was too stupid to figure out how to vote right, and shut up about it.

Gore's team definitely created the impression that they were trying to steal the election by calling for recounts only in heavily Democratic counties.

Nation, you are absolutely correct that the Democrats would have been only too happy to win through fraud if they could have. Probably the Republicans too, but I don't think that's what won the state for Bush.

Yes, but did you actually look at the butterfly ballot's design? It would have been virtually impossible for anyone who intended to vote for Bush to screw up, but very easy for those who intended to vote for Gore. It doesn't necessarily mean that Gore voters are more stupid or are more likely to blame others. The ballot just wasn't designed in such a way that a mistake would have been at all likely for a Bush voter. I'm sure there were still some, but I doubt very many at all, simply because of the ballot's design.

I agree that the voter has a responsibility to ensure that their vote is cast properly, but the voter also should have the right to a ballot whose design is clear and not confusing. It wasn't just stupid people screwing up, it was a genuinely poor design, especially for senior citizens whose vision isn't the best. The Democrats should have challenged the design of the ballot BEFORE the election. I guess nobody realized how bad it would be beforehand.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2004, 12:25:16 AM »

The Democrats should have challenged the design of the ballot BEFORE the election. I guess nobody realized how bad it would be beforehand.

The Democrats (specifically Theresa LaPore, the head) in the Palm Beach county elections board designed the butterfly ballot themselves and had used it in many prior years in the Palm Beach area.  I am sure this ballot had the same consequences in other elections as well.  It was not a new type of ballot design.

The truth is that the Democrats were not smart enough to challenge the ballot they had created in advance.  It was a case of being too smart for your own good.
Kevinstat

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2004, 09:59:44 AM »

I voted yes, no, no
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2004, 10:21:21 AM »

I voted yes yes no but would like to add major qualifications to the second yes, and very minor ones to the first one.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies