Where would you have put the capitals during the Civil War?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:45:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Where would you have put the capitals during the Civil War?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where would you have put the capitals during the Civil War?  (Read 2974 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 23, 2004, 10:29:16 PM »

Personally I think keeping the Union capital in DC was rather foolish. The Confederates were right across the river, and what if Maryland seceded? Moving the capital back to the Philadelphia would've been what I would've done if I were Lincoln.

The Confederates weren't much smarter though putting their capital in Richmond, not too innacessible from the Union. A more logical choice would've been somewhere like Atlanta. But I would go way deep and entrenched, and go with Montgomery or Mobile.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 10:37:25 PM »

Personally I think keeping the Union capital in DC was rather foolish. The Confederates were right across the river, and what if Maryland seceded? Moving the capital back to the Philadelphia would've been what I would've done if I were Lincoln.

The Confederates weren't much smarter though putting their capital in Richmond, not too innacessible from the Union. A more logical choice would've been somewhere like Atlanta. But I would go way deep and entrenched, and go with Montgomery or Mobile.

Keeping the Capitol in DC had an important psychological effect.  And Richmond wasn't all that easy to take.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 10:55:05 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2004, 10:56:40 PM by Philip »

Well, Baltimore was put under martial law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_riot_of_1861

After the occupation of the city, Union troops were garrisoned throughout the state. The governor of Maryland Thomas Holliday Hicks was arrested, as was the whole of the Maryland legislature (which was days from approving secession), and the state was placed under direct federal administration.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 08:06:52 PM »

Well, Baltimore was put under martial law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_riot_of_1861

After the occupation of the city, Union troops were garrisoned throughout the state. The governor of Maryland Thomas Holliday Hicks was arrested, as was the whole of the Maryland legislature (which was days from approving secession), and the state was placed under direct federal administration.

Yes, thanks to Lincoln the tyrant.

Oh and BRTD the original confederate capital was in Montgomery, Ala but it was moved due to the railroads.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 10:57:29 PM »

North: Philadelphia
It keeps the capital in a fairly border state (the southern democratic party did well in Pennsylvania).  Also, Philadelphia is a good distance from the south.
South: New Orleans
This would ensure New Orleans didn't defect to the north.  It's one of the largest cities in the south at the time.  The one problem is the blockade.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 11:09:19 PM »

North: Philadelphia
It keeps the capital in a fairly border state (the southern democratic party did well in Pennsylvania).  Also, Philadelphia is a good distance from the south.
South: New Orleans
This would ensure New Orleans didn't defect to the north.  It's one of the largest cities in the south at the time.  The one problem is the blockade.

uhhhhh.... one problem, the union captured new orleans during the war.......
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2004, 12:30:53 AM »

Richmond was a very reasonable place for placing the Confederate capital during the war.  Post war, Chatanooga, TN or Waterloo, AL would have been a good place to place it, had the Confedacy been a success.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2004, 02:32:36 AM »

New Orleans would have been a terrible place for a capital. Rather indefensible. Plus it fell very early in the war, 1862 I believe.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2004, 10:44:25 PM »

New Orleans fell in April 1862, but if it had been the capital it is reasonable to assume that it would have been better protected.  Whether it would have been enough to keep Farragut's sloops out of the Lower Mississippi is anyone's guess.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies