Timeline: 1996 election season with some changes, beyond
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:22:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Timeline: 1996 election season with some changes, beyond
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Timeline: 1996 election season with some changes, beyond  (Read 26587 times)
dudeabides
Tuvalu
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2013, 10:50:32 AM »

April 2, 2011 - U.S. economy loses jobs for first time since Jan. '02

In March 2011, the U.S. economy lost 38,000 jobs as unemployment rose to 6.2%, up from 5.9% in February. Stocks had their worst month since October 2003, and the foreclosure rate rose for the first time since 1993.

April 28, 2011 - Gore, Cantor agree to stimulus

President Al Gore and House Speaker Eric Cantor agreed to a stimulus package which increased infrastructure projects, sent money back to state's for job growth, increased the worker re-training program, and expanded unemployment benefits. The total cost of the plan was $600 billion.

May 2, 2011 - Giuliani lays out economic plan

GOP Presidential hopeful Rudy Giuliani laid out a five-point economic plan. The plan is as follows;
- $1 trillion tax cut: condenses tax brackets to 8,12, and 28% while cutting the capital gains tax from 15% to 9%, and cuts the corporate tax from 35% to 23% while closing loopholes
- Health Care: Increases the tax deductibility of health care to $8,200 per individual and $10,800 per family while allowing people to buy insurance across state lines and creates a health care savings account
- Regulatory: Eliminates every regulation passed after January 1, 2004
- Energy: Encourages oil drilling, nuclear power, clean coal, and natural gas through de-regulation and tax credits
- Budgetary/Interest Rates: By reducing the federal workforce by 28% via attrition, repealing 95% of Gore's domestic spending, and by virtue of economic growth, the plan would balance the budget by 2016 and reduce the debt in half by 2025.

May 29, 2011 - Romney emphasizes middle-class tax cuts, balanced budget as ways to fix the economy

GOP Presidential Hopeful Mitt Romney stated that he believed eliminating taxes on capital gains and savings for those making under $150,000 per year, as well as a 17% reduction in income taxes across the board, would stimulate economic growth. Romney also voiced support for balancing the federal budget in five years. His plan would cut federal spending on non-defense programs by 10% over a two year period.

June 2, 2011 - Fearing '04 like loss, Brown to challenge Gore in Democratic Primary

Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio, who had voiced concern over President Gore's chances in 2012, announced on CBS news he would challenge the incumbent. "President Gore has been a disappointment to many democrats; he has not pursued much of an economic agenda other than the recent stimulus, and I frankly don't think he can win in 2012. So, I'm running for President."

June 10, 2011 - Survey finds Gore ahead of Brown, Giuliani leading, Gore approval down

Gore Approval
Approve: 47%
Disapprove: 50%
Neutral: 3%

Democratic Primary
Al Gore 61%
Sherrod Brown 38%
Other 1%

GOP Primary
Rudy Giuliani 49%
Mitt Romney 28%
Marsha Blackburn 12%
Herman Cain 5%
Sarah Palin 2%
James Inholfe 1%
Jim Gilmore 1%
Other 2%

General Election Match Ups

Rudy Giuliani 52%
Al Gore 37%

Al Gore 46%
Mitt Romney 45%

Al Gore 47%
Marsha Blackburn 45%

Rudy Giuliani 51%
Sherrod Brown 38%

Sherrod Brown 47%
Mitt Romney 45%

Sherrod Brown 46%
Marsha Blackburn 44%

July 5, 2011 - Gore signs bi-partisan campaign finance reform

President Gore signed a bill into law putting campaign funding limits and requiring candidates to file the names of their campaign contributors with the IRS and the Federal Election Commission. The plan also increased penalties for those who violated campaign finance law. With republicans insistance, the law also allowed Super PACs to continue to not have campaign finance limits with regards to funding.

August 21, 2011 - Mitt Romney wins Ames, IA straw poll

Mitt Romney 1,997
Marsha Blackburn 1,709
Rudy Giuliani 884
Herman Cain 602
Jim Gilmore 403
Sarah Palin 401
James Inholfe 77
Other 23

August 29, 2011 - In debate, GOP candidates make their case
In the third GOP presidential candidates debate, the GOP presidential candidates each made their cases as to why they should be nominated for President. The following is their closing arguments;

Rudy Giuliani: "America needs new leadership, steady consistent leadership. As a Mayor, I dealt with crisis on a regular basis. I worked to reduce crime, cut taxes, and improve the quality of life, security, and prosperity of every New Yorker. As secretary of homeland security, I fought to increase our intelligence capabilities here at home while securing our border. My fight is to restore the American economy using a free market approach, and to defend our country from islamic terror. President Gore believes in big government liberalism, I believe in the people of this country. That's why I've put forth a plan to cut taxes, reduce burdensome regulations, balance the budget and cut interest rates, promote private ownership of health care, and end our dependence on foreign oil. These things will help America prosper again."

Mitt Romney: "In 2008, Al Gore said America should elect him because he would fight for working families in America. Our economy is losing jobs, Americans take home pay is declining, and thousands have fallen into poverty in this year alone. America deserves better. I believe in America. I believe in the power of the individual. I have the experience necessary on the economy to promote job growth again. Our imperative must be to create jobs with higher take home pay so Americans can prosper again. It's time we all believe in America again. All of us need to join together in unity to again promote economic growth in this country."

Marsha Blackburn: "During my time in congress, I've fought hard to keep taxes low and to promote free market economics. Today, sadly, this administration has ignored the American economic model of capitalism and free markets. By adding $34 billion in regulatory costs to private business and another $19 billion in environmental regulations, this administration is creating bigger government and more regulations. This administration has also passed executive orders mandating cap and trade, which is a $1.2 trillion tax increase. President Gore is not listening to the American people. I am. As President, my fight will be to return to the conservative values our country was founded on."

Herman Cain: "Politicians in Washington do not understand the problems our nation faces because they are politicians. I'm a businessman and I've stated that my 999 plan will help us encourage economic growth and investment in America again. The 999 plan is the best way to stimulate economic growth, simplify our broken tax code, and to cut taxes on Americans. We need more bold solutions besides 999, and I intend to offer America those solutions. We have become a nation addicted to crisis; a jobs crisis, housing crisis, debt crisis, etc. It's time for solutions, a solution revolution, and I offer Americans that."

Jim Gilmore: "In this primary season, the voters have a choice. I'm a consistent conservative who is for a 12% flat tax, a constitutional amendment protecting human life, and a constitutional amendment requiring a balanced budget. Rudy Giuliani and Mitt Romney do not share our conservative values. Rudy Giuliani supports the pro-choice position, same-sex marriage, and gun control. Mitt Romney has changed his positions on these issues and several others. The choice for republicans is between two moderates and a conservative, and I'm asking for your support."

Sarah Palin: "In Alaska, we've sought to move America towards energy independence. My number one priority if elected President is energy independence within my first term in office. I'll continue to support energy tax credits, but we also must have an administration willing to support oil, nuclear power, and clean coal. Energy independence will also help our economy and national security. The choice between the President and myself will be one between big government and people making their own decisions. It will also be between gimmicks and real energy security.”

James Inholfe: “I entered this race to expose the truth about the Gore administration. Executive orders demanding cap and trade, a backdoor expansion of medicaid, and throwing money towards education, and increasing federal regulations has hurt our economy and our families. Our party does have a choice to make; I’m a proud conservative. Sadly, Governor Romney and Mayor Giuliani are not conservative, and in Governor Romney’s case he has changed positions to sound like one. It’s time for a true conservative to be the nominee of the republican party.”

September 2, 2011 - Former President George W. Bush endorses Rudy Giuliani

Former President George W. Bush endorsed Rudy Giuliani for President at an event in New Hampshire. Bush, the last GOP President who left office with approval ratings above 60 percent, called Giuliani "an experienced leader with principle who will take his record of accomplishment and will restore this economy while defending the homeland".
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »

September 17, 2011 - Gov. Jerry Brown backs Sherrod Brown for President

Governor Jerry Brown of California backed Democratic Presidential Hopeful Sherrod Brown for the 2012 democratic presidential nomination, becoming the top democrat to endorse President Gore's primary challenger. Brown called Sherrod Brown "a gutsy leader who knows who he works for."

September 27, 2011 - McCain backs Giuliani for President

Former Vice President John McCain, the 2008 GOP Presidential Nominee, endorsed Rudy Giuliani for President, calling Giuliani "a leader with courage, and someone our nation would benefit from."

October 1, 2011 - Romney: Giuliani & I offer GOP a choice

GOP Presidential Hopeful Mitt Romney told republicans in Iowa that "The choice between Rudy Giuliani and I, in terms of who should represent our party, is clear. I want to make sure our farmers, our small businesses, and our families prosper. So, I am offering a middle-class tax cut, a balanced budget in half a decade, and using our tax code to encourage higher education and worker re-training. Secretary Giuliani believes that our goal has to be to slash farm programs that help feed our citizens and help us with domestic energy. The best way to make sure our families prosper is through jobs, and the best way to raise children is with a mother and a father, I'll protect marriage, Secretary Giuliani has not supported a federal marriage amendment."

October 4, 2011 - Gov. Chris Christie backs Rudy Giuliani in presidential bid

Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey backed Rudy Giuliani for President, calling Giuliani "a reformer who understands what leadership is all about; his solutions to grow our economy is an example of how Rudy Giuliani is a true leader."

October 5, 2011 - Gore officially launches re-election bid

President Al Gore and Vice President Hillary Clinton launched their re-election campaign from Little Rock, Arkansas. President Gore proclaimed that "We face an era of challenge, but we have made history since 2009. We've passed historic campaign finance reform. We've made historic investments in education, with smaller class sizes for our kids and increased pell grants for higher education. We have reduced our carbon footprint for the first time in history. We've expanded health care access to 92% of American children, and 51% of adults. Today, the question is, do we move in the direction of progress, or do we turn our backs on the greatness of America" Gore stated.

October 21, 2011 - Marsha Blackburn puts forth economic plan

GOP Presidential Hopeful Marsha Blackburn proposed her economic plan to voters in Michigan. The plan is as follows;
- tax cuts: The Blackburn plan would eliminate income and capital gains taxes and replace it with a 18% consumption tax at the federal level while closing loopholes and deductions
- infrastructure: The Blackburn economic plan allocates $8 billion per year towards infrastructure
- energy: The Blackburn economic plan would repeal cap and trade

November 4, 2011 - President Gore proposes gun control

President Gore proposed re-instating the Clinton/Gore era assault weapons ban and enacting a mandatory universal background check into law. Gore said by the year's end, he wanted action on gun control.

November 27, 2011 - Sen. Marco Rubio backs Mitt Romney for President

Senator Marco Rubio of Florida backed Mitt Romney's presidential campaign, calling Romney "a Reaganesque leader from the private sector who will change the way Washington works."

December 1, 2011 - Gov. Nikki Haley backs Marsha Blackburn for President

Governor Nikki Haley of South Carolina backed Marsha Blackburn for President, calling Blackburn "a conservative leader who will help us reclaim who we are as a people."

December 23, 2011 - Gore ends year with 44% approval as recession looms on

Approve: 44%
Disapprove: 51%
Neutral: 5%

December 29, 2011 - Survey: Giuliani, Gore front-runers for 2012 nominations

National Democratic Primary
Al Gore 59%
Sherrod Brown 40%
Other 1%

National GOP Primary
Rudy Giuliani 46%
Marsha Blackburn 20%
Mitt Romney 20%
Herman Cain 5%
Jim Gilmore 5%
Sarah Palin 2%
James Inholfe 1%
Other 1%

Iowa Democrats
Al Gore 53%
Sherrod Brown 45%
Other 2%

Iowa GOP
Mitt Romney 30%
Marsha Blackburn 29%
Rudy Giuliani 21%
Herman Cain 9%
Jim Gilmore 5%
Sarah Palin 4%
James Inholfe 1%
Other 1%

New Hampshire Democrats
Al Gore 71%
Sherrod Brown 21%
Other 8%

New Hampshire GOP
Rudy Giuliani 55%
Mitt Romney 30%
Marsha Blackburn 8%
Herman Cain 3%
Jim Gilmore 1%
Sarah Palin 1%
James Inholfe 0.5%
Other 0.5%
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2013, 09:43:53 PM »

Nikki Haley would back Romney...  They're friends, and he backed her for governor.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2013, 10:48:25 PM »

January 4, 2012 - Sherrod Brown lays out 100 days agenda
Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio, Democratic Presidential Hopeful, laid out his 100 days agenda at an event in Iowa City, IA. Brown proposed repealing NAFTA, eliminating the 10% tax bracket, investing $30 billion towards infrastructure, balancing the budget by freezing federal spending for 3 years and slowing entitlement spending on the wealthy, and passing a universal background check for gun purchases as priorities during his first 100 days in office.

Iowa Caucus

GOP
Marsha Blackburn 31%
Mitt Romney 30%
Rudy Giuliani 25%
Herman Cain 8%
Jim Gilmore 3%
Sarah Palin 1%
James Inholfe 1%
Other 1%

Democratic

Al Gore 54%
Sherrod Brown 44%
Other 2%

January 4, 2012 - Inholfe, Palin end presidential bids, Palin backs Giuliani
Senator James Inholfe of Oaklahoma and Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska each ended their 2012 presidential campaigns following poor results in the Iowa caucuses. Palin endorsed fellow candidate Rudy Giuliani, stating that "America's Mayor has the best chance of victory in 2012, and we know he's a proven leader."

January 6, 2012 - With Brown doing better than expected in Iowa, fundraising for Brown surges
Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio saw a surge of fundraising in the 48 hours following the Iowa caucuses in which he came within 10 points of victory despite polls showing him more than 24-26 points behind.

New Hampshire Primary

GOP

Rudy Giuliani 52%
Mitt Romney 30%
Marsha Blackburn 12%
Herman Cain 4%
Jim Gilmore 1%
Other 1%

Democratic

Al Gore 61%
Sherrod Brown 38%
Other 1%

Gingrich, Lieberman, Wolfowitz back Giuliani

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich: "Rudy Giuliani has bold ideas to reverse the failed policies of the Gore administration. I think Rudy offers republicans the best chance of having a successful, ideas based campaign in 2012."

Former Secretary of State Joe Lieberman: "My friend Rudy Giuliani has the necessary skills to lead our country during a time of challenge both here at home and abroad."

Former Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz: "Rudy Giuliani has what it takes to lead this nation during a time of war, and he is proven in crisis and ready to lead."

South Carolina Primary

Marsha Blackburn 36%
Rudy Giuliani 30%
Jim Gilmore 20%
Mitt Romney 11%
Herman Cain 2%
Other 1%

Democratic

Al Gore 66%
Sherrod Brown 30%
Other 4%

January 22, 2012 - Jim Gilmore exits presidential race, backs Marsha Blackburn

After a disappointing 3rd place finish in South Carolina, Former Virginia Governor Jim Gilmore exited the presidential race and endorsed fellow candidate Marsha Blackburn, stating that "Marsha Blackburn is the only consistent conservative who can win in the race for President."

Florida Primary

GOP

Rudy Giuliani 60%
Mitt Romney 25%
Marsha Blackburn 10%
Herman Cain 4%
Other 1%

Democratic

Al Gore 53%
Sherrod Brown 41%
Other 6%

Feb. 1, 2012 - Cain backs out of presidential race, backs Mitt Romney

At a Mitt Romney campaign event in Denver, CO, Businessman Herman Cain exited the presidential race and endorsed Mitt Romney for President. Cain cited Romney's private sector experience as to why he made the endorsement.

Nevada Caucus
GOP

Mitt Romney 41%
Rudy Giuliani 40%
Marsha Blackburn 18%
Other 2%

Democratic

Al Gore 51%
Sherrod Brown 48%
Other 1%

Feb. 6, 2012 - Romney attacks Giuliani as too liberal, Giuliani attacks Romney as a "flip-flop"

Ahead of crucial primaries, Rudy Giuliani and Mitt Romney attacked each other on the presidential campaign trail. "Secretary Giuliani is pro-choice, for same-sex marriage, for gun control, and supported benefits to undocumented workers, is he really a conservative?" Mitt Romney asked a New Hampshire audience. "The question voters have to worry about is, which Mitt are they getting? Mitt Romney changes positions to win elections, I've taken positions and have fought for them, I'm a leader, I don't pander" Rudy Giuliani stated.

Colorado Caucus
GOP

Mitt Romney 41%
Rudy Giuliani 30%
Marsha Blackburn 28%
Other 1%

Democratic

Sherrod Brown 49%
Al Gore 48%
Other 2%

Missouri Caucus
GOP

Rudy Giuliani 50%
Marsha Blackburn 22%
Mitt Romney 17%
Other 1%

Democratic

Al Gore 72%
Sherrod Brown 27%
Other 1%

Minnesota Caucus
GOP

Rudy Giuliani 49%
Mitt Romney 30%
Marsha Blackburn 20%
Other 1%

Democratic

Al Gore 50%
Sherrod Brown 48%
Other 2%
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2013, 11:01:44 PM »

Maine Caucus

GOP
Rudy Giuliani 39%
Mitt Romney 35%
Marsha Blackburn 20%
Other 6%

Democratic

Al Gore 57%
Sherrod Brown 40%
Other 3%

Arizona & Michigan

Michigan GOP

Mitt Romney 35%
Rudy Giuliani 34%
Marsha Blackburn 30%
Other 1%

Michigan Democratic

Sherrod Brown 51%
Al Gore 48%
Other 1%

Arizona GOP
Rudy Giuliani 36%
Mitt Romney 34%
Marsha Blackburn 29%
Other 1%

Arizona Democratic
Al Gore 61%
Sherrod Brown 38%
Other 1%

Wyoming Caucus
GOP
Mitt Romney 37%
Rudy Giuliani 31%
Marsha Blackburn 30%
Other 2%

Democratic
Al Gore 77%
Sherrod Brown 21%
Other 2%

Washington Caucus
GOP
Rudy Giuliani 60%
Mitt Romney 28%
Marsha Blackburn 10%
Other 2%

Feb. 17, 2012 - Dean, who ran against Gore in 2000, endorses President Gore

Former Vermont Governor and DNC Chairman Howard Dean, who opposed President Gore in the 2000 presidential primary, endorsed the President's re-election, touting Gore's success on environmental protection, increased infrastructure projects, and Afghanistan withdrawal.

Super Tuesday 2012

GOP
Alaska - Giuliani 39% Romney 30% Blackburn 30% Other 1%
Georgia - Giuliani 41% Blackburn 39% Romney 18% Other 2%
Idaho - Romney 55% Giuliani 30% Blackburn 12% Other 2%
Massachusetts - Romney 50% Giuliani 38% Blackburn 10% Other 2%
North Dakota - Giuliani 36% Blackburn 34% Romney 29%
Ohio - Giuliani 48% Romney 30% Blackburn 20% Other 2%
Oklahoma - Blackburn 61% Giuliani 30% Romney 8% Other 1%
Tennessee - Blackburn 60% Giuliani 28% Romney 10% Other 2%
Vermont - Giuliani 66% Romney 30% Blackburn 2% Other 2%
Virginia - Giuliani 37% Blackburn 35% Romney 25% Other 3%

Democratic
Alaska - Gore 66% Brown 30% Other 4%
Georgia - Gore 71% Brown 20% Other 9%
Idaho - Gore 62% Brown 30% Other 8%
Massachusetts - Gore 55% Brown 44% Other 1%
North Dakota - Gore 59% Brown 30% Other 11%
Ohio - Brown 53% Gore 46% Other 1%
Oklahoma - Gore 91% Brown 5% Other 4%
Tennessee - Gore 97% Brown 2% Other 1%
Vermont - Gore 50% Brown 44% Other 6%
Virginia - Gore 55% Brown 44% Other 1%

Sherrod Brown ends presidential bid following Super Tuesday results

Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio ended his presidential campaign after only winning his home state of Ohio on Super Tuesday. Brown stated that "My supporters have helped me help our party build, and with President Gore's leadership and what we have done, we will win in the fall."

President Gore becomes presumptive nominee for re-election

President Gore became the presumptive nominee of his party for a second term as President. Speaking to supporters in Ohio, Gore stated that "We need a leader who is committed to fighting for every single American, that is what I have done over my entire life, and that's what I'll continue to do during a second term."

Mitt Romney concedes GOP presidential nomination following Super Tuesday

GOP Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney ended his presidential bid following poor results in Super Tuesday contests. "Earlier tonight, I spoke with Rudy Giuliani and offered him our congratulations. I also wish Congressman Blackburn the best. Our campaign of conservative principles has succeeded in bringing forth the values we care about in this campaign season" Romney stated.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2013, 11:05:22 PM »

EW! Look at Mitt Romney's American Flag pin! I'm offended Tongue
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2013, 10:51:33 PM »

March 10, 2012 - Giuliani wins territories as Blackburn wins Kansas

Kansas
Marsha Blackburn 53%
Rudy Giuliani 44%
Other 4%

Guam
Rudy Giuliani 89%
Marsha Blackburn 10%
Other 1%

Northern Mariana Islands
Rudy Giuliani 77%
Marsha Blackburn 20%
Other 3%

March 13, 2012 - Blackburn wins Alabama, Mississippi as Giuliani wins Hawaii, American Samoa

March 14, 2012 - Poll: Giuliani leads nationally, in Illinois

National GOP Primary
Rudy Giuliani 60%
Marsha Blackburn 36%
Other 4%

Illinois GOP Primary
Rudy Giuliani 63%
Marsha Blackburn 30%
Other 7%

March 17, 2012 - Citing fundraising issues, Blackburn ends presidential bid and backs Giuliani

Rep. Marsha Blackburn ended her presidential bid at a press conference in her Tennessee congressional district and endorsed Rudy Giuliani for President. "Today, I end my campaign for President. I am pleased that our conservative message got across the nation. I am also happy the nominee of our party will be an individual who is committed to economic growth and defending our country, and Rudy Giuliani has my full support" Blackburn stated.

Rudy Giuliani secures GOP presidential nomination

Former Secretary of Homeland Security Rudy Giuliani secured the 2012 GOP Presidential Nomination. "My fellow citizens, today we can claim that I will be the nominee of the republican party for President of the United States. Our solutions based reform campaign will continue into the general election as we advance to win in November. Our message of free markets, a strong national defense, and state's rights will help us win this fall. While President Gore will fight for more regulations, higher taxes, and more spending, we'll fight for the largest tax relief in a decade, less federal spending, and a strong America in a dangerous and unpredictable world" Giuliani said to a New Hampshire audience upon becoming the presumptive nominee of his party.

GOP Primary Votes
Rudy Giuliani 7,250,235
Mitt Romney 3,225,242
Marsha Blackburn 2,934,244
Herman Cain 999,999
Jim Gilmore 324,242
Sarah Palin 302,353
James Inholfe 97,245
Other 10,235

March 20, 2012 - Romney endorses Giuliani for President

Former Governor of Massachusetts and GOP Presidential Hopeful Mitt Romney endorsed Preumptive GOP Presidential Nominee Rudy Giuliani, calling Giuliani a "decisive leader who understands how to create jobs and defend the nation."

March 28, 2012 - Gore signs law increasing welfare restrictions

President Gore signed a bi-partisan bill into law his administration called for the passage of increasing work requirements from welfare and reducing the amount of time people could be on welfare from 99 weeks to 77 weeks.

April 8, 2012 - On trail, Gore bashes Giuliani while talking second term agenda

President Gore, touting accomplishments on the environment, campaign finance reform, and education, stated that his second term agenda would continue to advance those policies, as well as gradually moving towards universal health care, repeal No Child Left Behind, and add 50,000 police officers to American streets. Gore attacked Rudy Giuliani as echoing George W. Bush's foreign policy and supporting tax breaks for the rich.

May 5, 2012 - Gore approval hits record low of 39% as economy remains sluggish

President Gore's approval rating hit a low point of 39% following the announcement the U.S. economy lost an additional 42,000 jobs in April.

June 15, 2012 - Gore signs manufacturing jobs credit into law

In an effort to stimulate economic growth, President Gore signed a manufacturing jobs credit into law. The law would cost the federal government $40 billion per year and was expected to create jobs in manufacturing.

July 1, 2012 - Report: Giuliani down to seven possible running mates; 2 former rivals, 2 others 4 of the 7 on list
Sources close to the Giuliani campaign confirmed to Fox News that the Former Secretary of Homeland Security would announce a running-mate by July 20 and that there were seven names on the list. However, only four of the names were revealed; Former Presidential Hopeful Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), Gov. Chris Christie (R-NJ), Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), and House Speaker Eric Cantor (R-VA).
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2013, 11:01:29 PM »

March 10, 2012 - Giuliani wins territories as Blackburn wins Kansas

Kansas
Marsha Blackburn 53%
Rudy Giuliani 44%
Other 4%

Guam
Rudy Giuliani 89%
Marsha Blackburn 10%
Other 1%

Northern Mariana Islands
Rudy Giuliani 77%
Marsha Blackburn 20%
Other 3%

March 13, 2012 - Blackburn wins Alabama, Mississippi as Giuliani wins Hawaii, American Samoa

March 14, 2012 - Poll: Giuliani leads nationally, in Illinois

National GOP Primary
Rudy Giuliani 60%
Marsha Blackburn 36%
Other 4%

Illinois GOP Primary
Rudy Giuliani 63%
Marsha Blackburn 30%
Other 7%

March 17, 2012 - Citing fundraising issues, Blackburn ends presidential bid and backs Giuliani

Rep. Marsha Blackburn ended her presidential bid at a press conference in her Tennessee congressional district and endorsed Rudy Giuliani for President. "Today, I end my campaign for President. I am pleased that our conservative message got across the nation. I am also happy the nominee of our party will be an individual who is committed to economic growth and defending our country, and Rudy Giuliani has my full support" Blackburn stated.

Rudy Giuliani secures GOP presidential nomination

Former Secretary of Homeland Security Rudy Giuliani secured the 2012 GOP Presidential Nomination. "My fellow citizens, today we can claim that I will be the nominee of the republican party for President of the United States. Our solutions based reform campaign will continue into the general election as we advance to win in November. Our message of free markets, a strong national defense, and state's rights will help us win this fall. While President Gore will fight for more regulations, higher taxes, and more spending, we'll fight for the largest tax relief in a decade, less federal spending, and a strong America in a dangerous and unpredictable world" Giuliani said to a New Hampshire audience upon becoming the presumptive nominee of his party.

GOP Primary Votes
Rudy Giuliani 7,250,235
Mitt Romney 3,225,242
Marsha Blackburn 2,934,244
Herman Cain 999,999
Jim Gilmore 324,242
Sarah Palin 302,353
James Inholfe 97,245
Other 10,235

March 20, 2012 - Romney endorses Giuliani for President

Former Governor of Massachusetts and GOP Presidential Hopeful Mitt Romney endorsed Preumptive GOP Presidential Nominee Rudy Giuliani, calling Giuliani a "decisive leader who understands how to create jobs and defend the nation."

March 28, 2012 - Gore signs law increasing welfare restrictions

President Gore signed a bi-partisan bill into law his administration called for the passage of increasing work requirements from welfare and reducing the amount of time people could be on welfare from 99 weeks to 77 weeks.

April 8, 2012 - On trail, Gore bashes Giuliani while talking second term agenda

President Gore, touting accomplishments on the environment, campaign finance reform, and education, stated that his second term agenda would continue to advance those policies, as well as gradually moving towards universal health care, repeal No Child Left Behind, and add 50,000 police officers to American streets. Gore attacked Rudy Giuliani as echoing George W. Bush's foreign policy and supporting tax breaks for the rich.

May 5, 2012 - Gore approval hits record low of 39% as economy remains sluggish

President Gore's approval rating hit a low point of 39% following the announcement the U.S. economy lost an additional 42,000 jobs in April.

June 15, 2012 - Gore signs manufacturing jobs credit into law

In an effort to stimulate economic growth, President Gore signed a manufacturing jobs credit into law. The law would cost the federal government $40 billion per year and was expected to create jobs in manufacturing.

July 1, 2012 - Report: Giuliani down to seven possible running mates; 2 former rivals, 2 others 4 of the 7 on list
Sources close to the Giuliani campaign confirmed to Fox News that the Former Secretary of Homeland Security would announce a running-mate by July 20 and that there were seven names on the list. However, only four of the names were revealed; Former Presidential Hopeful Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), Gov. Chris Christie (R-NJ), Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), and House Speaker Eric Cantor (R-VA).
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2013, 10:20:30 PM »

July 18, 2012 - Giuliani picks Blackburn for Vice President
Presumptive GOP Presidential Nominee Rudy Giuliani announced his selection of Former Presidential Candidate Rep. Marsha Blackburn for Vice President. "In Marsha Blackburn, I have a vice president who understands a lot of issues and has shown that she understands how to lead" Giuliani said of Blackburn. "Rudy Giuliani is the right candidate to offer Americans a choice between the failed policies of this administration and a new direction" Blackburn said of Giuliani.

August 1, 2012 - Giuliani campaign strategy revealed

Sources close to the Giuliani campaign revealed the Giuliani/Blackburn strategy. "We believe that right now, we have support in the states John McCain won in 2008, we are either where McCain was in '08 or ahead in those states, the exception being New Hampshire. For example, McCain beat Gore in Florida by 80,000 votes. We lead Gore by 3 percentage points in Florida now. McCain also carried Ohio by one percentage point in 2008, we are leading there now 48-44%. We are going to focus very heavily in Florida, very heavily on Virginia where Gore beat McCain by 5 points in 2008, we now lead there by 2 points. Our goal is to win McCain's 2008 states, but we also need Virginia and one other state, our best bet right now seems to be New Jersey; Gore won there by 15 points, but we are now leading there by 5 points, that's Rudy's home base essentially. So, you'll see Rudy campaigning a lot in New Jersey, Florida, and Virginia. His job is to reach out to undecided voters and independents. You'll see Marsha Blackburn in swing states as well, but her job is to rally the base; she will be in states McCain won in 2008 by slightly more comfortable margins such as North Carolina, Missouri, and Ohio. We will also use surrogates; Former President Bush has the approval of 66% of the public, expect to see him nationally. Mitt Romney did quite well in Colorado and has some support there, expect to see him there. Governor Christie will also help us out a lot in New Jersey, and we think he can also help us in places like Wisconsin, Nevada, and New Mexico where we need support. As far as issues are concerned, voters are concerned about the economic agendas of both candidates with the recession, and while we've proposed a real economic plan which cuts taxes and regulations, our opponents have proposed nothing new" said a top Giuliani aide.

September 4, 2012 - Survey: Gore approval at 40%, Giuliani leads going into election

Gore Approval
Approve: 40%
Disapprove: 55%
Neutral: 5%

National Election
Rudy Giuliani 49%
Al Gore 41%

September 15, 2012 - Gore: Giuliani is wrong, I have economic plan

President Al Gore stated that "My administration has sought to get us out of this recession through a plan to create jobs Secretary Giuliani opposed. Now, I have proposed investing in the green sector to try and add more jobs. This administration has actually helped put in place policies which have added to over 440,000 green jobs, we'll add another 1.2 million  between 2013 and 2018. Additionally, we are going to cut taxes on small business during a second term to create jobs" Gore stated.

October 10, 2012 - Giuliani, Gore participate in first presidential debate

President Al Gore and Former Homeland Security Secretary Rudy Giuliani participated in their first presidential debate on domestic issues. Below is a summary of what they said on each question;

Q = Question G= Giuliani A = Gore

Q: What are three immediate steps you would take to stimulate economic growth?
G: My economic plan would immediately reduce taxes on income, business, and capital gains while getting rid of regulations passed during the past two administrations, I'd also move our country towards energy independence and reduce interest rates.
A: My administration has focused on creating green jobs and on investing in our infrastructure. I would continue to do so in a second term, I'd also cut taxes on businesses, but I would not cut taxes on large corporations as my opponent seeks to do.

Q: Mr. President, do you see a balanced budget?
A: Under my plan, we'd balance the federal budget in 4 years and reduce the national debt by 40% in 10 years. We will save money as we bring our troops home from combat, and I'll fight to reverse the Bush tax cuts on the wealthiest Americans, tax cuts for the rich my opponent supports.
G: I have proposed a plan which reduces the rate of federal spending by 8% in two years, which generates economic growth through tax cuts, and which saves money by reforming medicare and social security. The President, by contrast, proposes $1.2 trillion in new federal spending.

Q: Secretary Giuliani, is there more we can do to protect Americans here at home?
G: As Secretary of Homeland Security, I fought to secure the border and for increasing our intelligence capabilities, I know about how to protect Americans. I think we can use the patriot act, something this President has basically thrown away without congressional approval. I think we need to encourage the use of comp-stat in our cities to reduce crime, it helped me reduce crime by 60% as a Mayor.
A: My administration has cut bureaucracy at homeland security by more than 8,000 workers. During the last two years of his tenure there, Secretary Giuliani called for 12,000 more workers while neglecting to fund crime prevention programs in our inner cities, I will fight to restore those programs, sadly the republicans in congress have failed to act.

Q: Mr. President, are Americans better off than they were in 2008?
A: I think it depends in what area. We are safer than we were in 2008, our environment is cleaner, more of our people have health care, our kids are in safer schools where they are finally learning. But, obviously more progress needs to be made.
G: Since this President took office, over 1.4 million Americans have lost work. Incomes are down. The national debt jumped as federal spending increased by 15%. We are seeing record foreclosures, energy costs are up 18% since 2008. We are in a recession. Americans are worse off today than they were 4 years ago, and 71% of Americans believe we are headed in the wrong direction.

Q: Mr. Giuliani, what is your position on gun control?
G: I believe that gun control is an issue best left up to each state, though I do, and will continue to support a backround check at the federal level. I also believe in closing the gun show loophole and want to increase penalties for gun crimes committed in which the weapon is transported across state lines.
A: My administration passed a universal background check, and I am proud of that. I'd also like to see an assault weapon ban passed during a second term. Again, the republicans oppose a ban on assault weapons. My opponent used to support a ban on assault weapons, but he has changed his position.

Q: Mr. President, would you support a federal amendment support same-sex marriage?
A: My administration has enforced DOMA, but we have not enforced any other law which would infringe a state's right to recognize same-sex marriage. On a personal level, I support civil unions. But, I happen to believe this is an issue left up to the states.
G: I agree with the President on this issue, the state's should make these decisions. I'd enforce DOMA, I'd make everyone in America is treated equal under the law, but I believe that this is not an issue the federal government should be overly involved in.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2013, 10:26:22 PM »

Great update!
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2013, 07:05:19 PM »

Thank You!

October 10, 2012 - In debate, Giuliani and Gore talk domestic issues

In their first of three presidential debates of the 2012 campaign season, President Al Gore and Former Homeland Security Secretary Rudy Giuliani debated a host of domestic issues. Giuliani, touting his economic plan, stated he felt the economy was going to be the dominant domestic concern of 2012. "Under this administration, over 1.8 million Americans have lost work as incomes have fallen and the cost of health care and energy have increased. So, I've put forth a plan based on what I did in New York City, and based on what has worked or what can work, to stimulate growth; we'll reduce taxes, reduce regulations, put in place a market approach to bring the cost of health care down, make our nation energy independent, and we'll reduce federal spending through entitlement reform and by shrinking government; if we do these things we'll create jobs and reduce our debt" Giuliani stated. President Gore attacked Giuliani's plan and stated that it was Bush era policies which created the recession; "Under George Bush, we saw massive tax cuts going to the rich, fewer regulations on banks, and corporate giveaways. As a result, we got into a recession, luckily this administration has been committed to putting people back to work by investing in infrastructure, energy, and health care. Secretary Giuliani's plan will increased the national debt by $2 trillion over the next decade, he also plans on allowing Wall Street to make it's own rules." Giuliani and Gore did find some common ground; both men agreed that same-sex marriage should be a state issue, and both agreed that background checks on gun sales were necessary to public safety. Both men also pledged to expand funding for veteran's health care.

October 15, 2012 - In Vice Presidential debate, Clinton & Blackburn exchange attacks, praise their running-mates

In the vice presidential debate between Vice President Hillary Clinton and Representative Marsha Blackburn, the two candidates attacked the other's ticket while praising their running mates. Clinton stated that Rudy Giuliani was "proposing tax breaks for the rich and a reckless foreign policy." Blackburn retorted that Gore "had failed the test of leadership by implementing economic policies which have resulted in tremendous job loss, and a foreign policy based more on politics than on security." Clinton stated that "No one in American politics today is fighting harder for working families than Al Gore" while Blackburn stated that "Rudy Giuliani is a proven leader and reformer who will get this economy moving again."

October 18, 2012 - Giuliani, Gore hold foreign policy debate
In their second debate, Al Gore and Rudy Giuliani debated foreign policy topics. Gore defended his administration's decisions to end U.S. involvement in Afghanistan with some residual forces. Gore also stated he felt the administration's current policy in relation to Iran needed to be given more time, and that he would not rule out a military intervention into Syria. By contrast, Rudy Giuliani attacked Gore's decision to withdrawal from Afghanistan and stated he would leave the military option on the table as it related to Iran.

October 27, 2012 - Gore, Giuliani make their cases in final debate
President Al Gore and Rudy Giuliani made their final cases to voters in the final presidential debate. Their closing statements are as follows;

Al Gore: "I believe that Americans deserve a President who will fight for them. Over the past 4 years, I have done my best to fight for you. We've invested in our people; today America's air and water is cleaner, more of our citizens have health care, and our roads are being repaired. We are a country transitioning from war to peace. The next President is going to have to invest in our people again in order to return our economy to economic growth. My opponent believes that by cutting taxes on the rich and spending billions more on defense, we would be better off. I believe in investing in our people, not in a select few. I'm asking for your vote to continue to fight for change that works for working families and all Americans."

Rudy Giuliani: "Four years ago, President Gore promised Americans he would grow our economy and protect our country. We withdrew from Afghanistan against the advice of our generals, and the threats from Iran and North Korea have gotten worse because this administration has sat by and shown weakness. Mean while, here at home we've lost over 1.8 million jobs, incomes have declined, and a record 72% of Americans view us as going in the wrong direction. It's time for a new direction. I've put forth an economic plan that will grow the private sector through tax cuts, regulatory restraint, fiscal discipline, health care market reforms, and reducing federal spending. I have extensive foreign policy experience and will defend this country whatever it takes. I'm asking for your vote to move America in a better direction."

November 1, 2012 - Giuliani uses Bush in home stretch

GOP Presidential Nominee Rudy Giuliani campaigned across Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey with Former President George W. Bush going into the final days of the 2012 campaign. Bush refused to attack his successor, but did praise Giuliani. "Rudy understands that through cutting taxes, we will return prosperity to the American people. Rudy also understands that we need to defend our country whatever it takes to protect the American people" Bush stated at one event in New Jersey.

November 4, 2012 - Democrats: Giuliani tax cut would raise taxes on the working poor
The DNC began telling voters that Rudy Giuliani's $1.2 trillion tax cut would be paid for by a $700 tax increase on those making below $50,000 per year.

November 5, 2012 - Poll: Gore approval at 38%, Giuliani poised to win election

Gore approval
Approve: 38%
Disapprove: 55%
Neutral: 7%

National Election
Rudy Giuliani 49%
Al Gore 42%
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2013, 11:30:24 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2013, 11:32:25 PM by dudeabides »

Election Night 2012

7 PM Poll Closings
Indiana - Giuliani 57% Gore 42%
Kentucky - Giuliani 56% Gore 43%
Florida - Too Early to Call
Georgia - Giuliani 59% Gore 40%
Virginia - Giuliani 52% Gore 47%
Ohio - Giuliani 51% Gore 48%
West Virginia - Giuliani 56% Gore 43%
South Carolina - Giuliani 59% Gore 40%

8 PM Poll Closings
Alabama - Giuliani 59% Gore 40%
Connecticut - Gore 53% Giuliani 47%
Delaware - Gore 55% Giuliani 44%
DC - Gore 88% Giuliani 11%
Illinois - Gore 60% Giuliani 39%
Maine - Gore 51% Giuliani 48%
Maryland - Gore 55% Giuliani 44%
Massachusetts - Gore 55% Giuliani 44%
Michigan - Too Close to Call
Mississippi - Giuliani 63% Gore 36%
Missouri - Giuliani 61% Gore 38%
New Hampshire - Too Close to Call
New Jersey - Giuliani 51% Gore 48%
Oklahoma - Giuliani 71% Gore 28%
Pennsylvania - Too Close to Call
South Dakota - Giuliani 68% Gore 31%
Texas - Giuliani 60% Gore 39%
Tennessee - Too Close to Call

8:22 PM - Giuliani wins Florida
Giuliani 51% Gore 48%

8:54 PM - Giuliani wins PA
Giuliani 50% Gore 49%

9 PM Poll Closings
Arkansas - Giuliani 55% Gore 44%
North Carolina - Giuliani 53% Gore 46%
Colorado - Giuliani 52% Gore 47%
Kansas - Giuliani 59% Gore 40%
Louisiana - Giuliani 62% Gore 37%
Minnesota - Gore 55% Giuliani 44%
Nebraska - Giuliani 66% Gore 33%
New Mexico - Giuliani 53% Gore 46%
New York - Too Close to Call
Rhode Island - Gore 71% Giuliani 28%
Wisconsin - Too Close to Call
Wyoming - Giuliani 77% Gore 22%

9:37 PM - Giuliani wins Wisconsin
Giuliani 50% Gore 49%

9:39 PM - Giuliani wins Tennessee
Giuliani 51% Gore 48%

9:44 PM - Giuliani wins Michigan
Giuliani 50% Gore 49%

9:52 PM - AP: Gore calls Giuliani to concede election defeat
President Al Gore placed a phone call to Rudy Giuliani to concede the 2012 presidential election. The Gore campaign, after loses in Florida, Ohio, and Colorado did not foresee another path to victory based on both results and internal polling numbers.

10:50 PM - Gore concedes election defeat

President Al Gore and Vice President Hillary Clinton conceded the 2012 presidential election. During his concession speech, President Gore stated that "About an hour ago, I spoke with Rudy Giuliani and offered him my concession. I wished him and his team all the best. Serving as your President for the past 4 years has been the honor of a lifetime" Gore stated.

11:22 PM - Giuliani accepts victory

"America has spoken. Together, we will unite our country behind the common purpose of defending our country and restoring our economy to growth. I am grateful to President Gore and Vice President Clinton for their service, and I look forward to reaching out to their supporters. Vice President Blackburn and I are going to spend every moment of every day protecting Americans and fighting to ensure our children have a brighter future" Giuliani stated in his victory speech.

1:37 AM - AP: Giuliani officially President-elect

2012 Presidential Election
Rudy Giuliani / Marsha Blackburn (R) 58% 356 EV
Al Gore / Hillary Clinton (D) 41% 182 EV
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2013, 11:12:38 PM »

January 20, 2013 - Giuliani, Blackburn sworn in

The Giuliani / Blackburn administration

Secretary of State John McCain

Secretary of Defense Liz Cheney

Assistant Secretary of Defense Ryan Crocker

Secretary of Homeland Security Peter King

U.N. Ambassador Paul Wolfowitz

U.S. Trade Representative Mitt Romney

Attorney General Kelly Ayotte

Secretary of HUD Cory Booker

Secretary of Commerce Steve Forbes

Secretary of Treasury Peter Schiff

Budget Director Newt Gingrich

Secretary of Energy Sarah Palin

Secretary of Education Jeb Bush

Secretary of Health & Human Services Bobby Jindal

Chief of Staff David Drier

Secretary of Transportation Joe Lhota

Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack

Secretary of Labor Carly Fiorina

Secretary of Interior Jon Tester

EPA Director Jon Huntsman Jr.

Feb. 10, 2013 - Giuliani signs massive tax cut package into law

President Giuliani signed a massive tax cut into law. The tax cut package reduced the number of tax brackets, establishing 3 tax brackets; 8%, 12%, and 28%. The plan also reduced taxes on capital gains from 15% to 9% while eliminating taxes on savings. The plan also reduced the corporate tax rate from 35% to 19%. Tax loopholes and deductions were eliminated for businesses and individuals in the 33% bracket; and deductions were limited to $12,000 per year for those in the 8 and 12 percent tax brackets. The plan would cost $1.2 trillion, minus $700 billion for closing loopholes, making the total cost of the tax cut $500 billion over a decade. The plan also made the Bush tax cuts permanent.

March 28, 2013 - Giuliani signs FY2014 budget with largest spending cuts in 17 years

President Giuliani signed a budget which saw the largest reductions in federal spending since 1996. FY2014 cut spending on subsidy programs, federal grants, educational aid to states, the EPA, the Department of Agriculture, transportation projects, and even some outdated defense programs. Giuliani stated that with the new levels of spending, the national debt would be reduced from $12 trillion to $9 trillion over a decade.

May 2, 2013 - Giuliani signs executive order reversing all regulations passed after January 1, 2005

President Giuliani signed an executive order which eliminated all federal regulations on business passed after January 2, 2005. Giuliani said of the regulations he repealed, only 35 of them were exempt under the executive order.

May 8, 2013 - Sen. Chris Coons: I'll take Giuliani to court on regulatory policy

Sen. Chris Coons (D-DE) stated that he believed that while some regulations were burdensome, financial reform should not be repealed. "I do not believe that we should be repealing financial reform, the President has an ideological agenda. I'll fight to stop the President's executive order, and I'll take this cause to the supreme court if I must" Coons stated.

June 5, 2013 - Economy weakens, Giuliani approval at 67%

In May 2013, the U.S. economy lost 33,000 jobs as unemployment remained flat at 7.1%. A CNN survey also found that 67% of Americans approved of President Giuliani's job performance while 31% disapproved.

August 12, 2013 - Coons proposes health care plan

Senator Chris Coons of Delaware proposed a health care law which would mandate every American buy health insurance or face a fine. The law also gave tax breaks to people who pooled together to purchase health care.

August 27, 2013 - Giuliani signs compromise health care law backed by Coons

After nearly two weeks of negotiations with Senator Chris Coons of Delaware, President Giuliani signed into law a health care plan which increased the tax deductibility of health care to $7,500 per individual and $10,000 per family. The plan also required employers to provide health care to their employees if their employees lacked care and made under $15 per hour. The plan also banned the practice of denying people coverage for a pre-existing condition.

October 1, 2013 - Giuliani: Iran not listening to the world
President Rudy Giuliani stated that he believed the U.S. should consider using military force to disarm the Iranian regime. Giuliani also stated he felt that sanctions were failing.

November 4, 2013 - Blackburn launches effort to get a comprehensive energy bill passed

Vice President Marsha Blackburn launched an effort to get bi-partisan support for a comprehensive energy bill. The Giuliani administration stated they wanted such a bill by the spring of 2014.

December 1, 2013 - Clinton speaks out, criticizes Giuliani on foreign policy

Former Vice President Hillary Clinton gave her first major speech since leaving office. She spoke about what she perceived as the strong points of the Gore/Clinton administration; infrastructure investments, green energy, and expanded health care access. She also attacked the Giuliani foreign policy as "reckless and war mongering." 

December 28, 2013 - Giuliani ends 2013 with a 68% approval rating

Approve: 68%
Disapprove: 30%
Neutral: 2%
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies