Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 04:20:27 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2018 predictions for US Senate are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  About this Site
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  Making Mr. Morden as mod of the 2012 Election Forum
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Making Mr. Morden as mod of the 2012 Election Forum  (Read 9690 times)
Saturday's Cab Ride Home
BRTD
YaBB God
Ukraine

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2011, 09:29:56 pm »
Ignore

Proposed on Forum Community and think this is a great idea. He is the only one who ever posts anything of value on that forum, and Nym would basically stay mod anyway with his new extended powers. Plus Nym isn't on the forum so much anymore, and that one desperately needs an active mod with all the junk on it. Who agrees?

Lunar
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:48:48 pm »
Ignore

I've suggested the same thing multiple times.

this is real
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 10:02:45 pm »
Ignore

Proposed on Forum Community and think this is a great idea. He is the only one who ever posts anything of value on that forum, and Nym would basically stay mod anyway with his new extended powers. Plus Nym isn't on the forum so much anymore, and that one desperately needs an active mod with all the junk on it. Who agrees?

It makes a lot of sense.  He's on that board a lot, he's basically the only quality poster there, and he actually knows all the ins and outs there, a board with a foreign posting culture that most of us are unfamiliar with.  The 2012 board is strange territory for me (though not as alien as the What Ifs board), and it'd be good to see an active, intelligent moderator there that knows what's going on.  Nym can share the board and watch over it as God-mod while Morden does the day-to-day stuff.

Like it or not, this site was originally about US Presidential Elections, and that board will be our flagship board (despite being one of the lowest-quality ones).  We need a mod that can improve the culture around there.

Also, Morden would be a stellar addition to the mod clique.  His wry, ironic wit would be appreciated in many a discussion.

The Handsome Monkey King Son Wukong weighs in on politics.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 10:04:41 pm »
Ignore

Only if he renames him self Mr. Moden.
Lunar
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 10:16:22 pm »
Ignore

Also, Morden would be a stellar addition to the mod clique.  His wry, ironic wit would be appreciated in many a discussion.

Sshhhh...we're not supposed to mention the only requirement for becoming a mod.

this is real
Lief 🐋
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 12:30:02 am »
Ignore

No don't! I like Morden... I don't want him to become another fascist. Sad

fuck nazis
Bacon! 🔥
Bacon King
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 02:16:00 am »
Ignore

Haha, I didn't realize the OP and until I saw Sewer's post I thought this thread WAS on the mod board. Tongue

Stellar idea IMO.

Also interesting to note that I apparently
mod the strangest board! 

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 02:18:22 am »
Ignore

Is this a draft movement?  Am I the Chris Christie of Atlas mods?

In seriousness, I'm a bit confused about how a new mod could really "clean up" the 2012 board, or address the particular problems that were mentioned in the other thread on this.  The suggestion is that the board is filled with hacks and dumbs.  What could a mod actually do to "fix" that?  You can't infract pbrower for proposing the "air hub theory".  That's dumb, but it's not against the rules.  It's not like the issue is that there are a bunch of people flaming each other and not getting punished for it.  That may have been an issue with poundingtherock, but he seems to be gone for good now.

The one problem poster who could use more stringent moderation is Hillary2012, who spams the forum with duplicate threads and threads posted on the wrong board.  This has to be read to be believed:

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=133358.0

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

P

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 03:03:44 am »
Ignore

I do like asking "is English not your first language" of someone with a Germany avatar and a German flag.

Anyway, Morden, have you seen Taxi Driver?

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 03:11:51 am »
Ignore

No.  It's actually near the top of the list of movies that I'm meaning to watch at some point, but haven't gotten around to.

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Vice President PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 03:13:44 am »
Ignore

I do like asking "is English not your first language" of someone with a Germany avatar and a German flag.

For what it's worth, the other German posters on the forum have generally shown a strong command of the English language. After posting here for a while, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable demand to ask for good English out of somebody with a Germany avatar.

Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 03:16:49 am »
Ignore

No.  It's actually near the top of the list of movies that I'm meaning to watch at some point, but haven't gotten around to.

Well, then my subtle point will be too subtle. I can highly recommend it, meanwhile, here is what I was talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBvg3PkI-PU&feature=related

Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 03:18:07 am »
Ignore

For what it's worth, the other German posters on the forum have generally shown a strong command of the English language. After posting here for a while, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable demand to ask for good English out of somebody with a Germany avatar.

But he didn't ask for good English, he literally asked whether English was his first language. I mean, that can be a funny sarcastic way to criticize the English of someone who does speak it as his first language, but against a foreigner it comes off as strange to me. And a wee bit nasty.

Vice President PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 03:22:19 am »
Ignore

But he didn't ask for good English, he literally asked whether English was his first language. I mean, that can be a funny sarcastic way to criticize the English of someone who does speak it as his first language, but against a foreigner it comes off as strange to me. And a wee bit nasty.

It's definitely a strange thing to say, but it's a fairly easy oversight to make on a forum where most of the Germans do type English like natives. I wouldn't ask that question of anyone, though, so my opinion on the matter isn't particularly more informed than the next.

Iosif
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 07:03:59 am »
Ignore

Don't bother. It's very dull.

J.J., I wanted to congratulate you on your assignment "A Typical Day In My Life". I think you did a superb job with it. So good that I think I'll share it with everyone else.

Scott Inman (D) OK Gov 2018
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 10:14:22 am »
Ignore

I'm in favor of the idea.
Proud Grumplican
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 11:50:31 am »
Ignore

Mr. Morden is one of the best here......that is all.  Tongue

Though I can't fathom why Nym can't handle it......unless he's just tired of handling it.

You exemplify everything wrong and disgusting about our country.

Can we please, please not allow Grumps' staggering stupidity to derail another thread?

GQ MAN OF THE YEAR!

Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 11:53:47 pm »
Ignore

Don't bother. It's very dull.

Uh, no.

Also, I favor BushOklahoma moderating that board.

Update lives again on Atlas After Dark. PM me for info.
Nym90
nym90
Modadmin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 12:46:33 am »
Ignore

I've asked Dave to do this myself. I agree that ideally moderation would be more proactive and less reactive, and I think Morden would help with this.

Be advised that I do respond to all reports of posts, so please use the report to moderator function. Unfortunately I don't have time to read all or even most posts on the board that are not reported, but rest assured that I do visit the Forum daily, and keep up with reported posts, so please use this function whenever you see a post that violates the TOS.

Thanks.
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 06:05:26 am »
Ignore

OK, Dave has asked me for my thoughts on whether I would really like to do this.

However....I tell you, I still can't answer that question until somebody answers for me, what is it exactly that a moderator does every day?

Those of you who are moderators, particularly those who moderate some of the more heavily trafficked boards, what does the job entail, and how much time do you spend on this every day?  Is being a moderator here hugely frustrating?  I know there were people trying to resign in exasperation recently, but has Nym being granted new powers fixed those problems?

Lunar
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 10:58:04 am »
Ignore

But you should do it.  You can always quit! Smiley

this is real
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 01:15:16 pm »
Ignore

Nym's modadmin status has streamlined our jobs tremendously.  Your minimum task would be to go to the Post Moderation Board, see all the reported posts on your board, and choose what to do about them.  As you'd be sharing that board with Nym, that's not too terribly much of a task.  There's more you can do, but that's all you'd have to do.

Your board is a bit freer of the personal vendettas, except in terms of people like Pounding the Rock, so you might not have a half-dozen new reports the second BRTD and Kalwejt bump into each other.

The Handsome Monkey King Son Wukong weighs in on politics.
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 05:51:14 pm »
Ignore

Your board is a bit freer of the personal vendettas, except in terms of people like Pounding the Rock, so you might not have a half-dozen new reports the second BRTD and Kalwejt bump into each other.

Perhaps for now, but given that the board already has a lot of traffic when we don't even have any real presidential candidates yet, I would guess that it'll be the most heavily trafficked board on Atlas by the end of the year, with the traffic getting even more insane in 2012.  So the number of reported posts could multiply greatly.

Of course, that's all the more reason not to dump all the work on Nym.

OK, I'll probably tell Dave later today that I agree to be a co-mod of the 2012 board with Nym, if he thinks that's a good idea.......unless anyone wants to try to talk me out of it in the next few hours.

big bad fab
filliatre
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: 4.87

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 05:49:57 am »
Ignore

You're a great man, Mr. Morden and you'll improve greatly the forum I think.

Enjoy the French elections !
Enjoy polling analysis !
Enjoy my tracker !

http://sondages2017.wordpress.com/
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 05:54:52 am »
Ignore

I also want to apply for moderator on the 2012 board. Especially the poll board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout