Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 23, 2019, 07:47:31 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  About this Site
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  Making Mr. Morden as mod of the 2012 Election Forum (search mode)
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Making Mr. Morden as mod of the 2012 Election Forum  (Read 10801 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2011, 03:13:44 am »

I do like asking "is English not your first language" of someone with a Germany avatar and a German flag.

Anyway, Morden, have you seen Taxi Driver?

For what it's worth, the other German posters on the forum have generally shown a strong command of the English language. After posting here for a while, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable demand to ask for good English out of somebody with a Germany avatar.

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 03:22:19 am »

I do like asking "is English not your first language" of someone with a Germany avatar and a German flag.

Anyway, Morden, have you seen Taxi Driver?

For what it's worth, the other German posters on the forum have generally shown a strong command of the English language. After posting here for a while, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable demand to ask for good English out of somebody with a Germany avatar.

But he didn't ask for good English, he literally asked whether English was his first language. I mean, that can be a funny sarcastic way to criticize the English of someone who does speak it as his first language, but against a foreigner it comes off as strange to me. And a wee bit nasty.

It's definitely a strange thing to say, but it's a fairly easy oversight to make on a forum where most of the Germans do type English like natives. I wouldn't ask that question of anyone, though, so my opinion on the matter isn't particularly more informed than the next.

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout