Brooklyn
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:52:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Brooklyn
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brooklyn  (Read 1519 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2011, 12:14:43 AM »
« edited: March 25, 2011, 12:24:52 AM by Lunar »

source: http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/map?view=PopChangeView&lat=40.7606&lng=-73.974&l=14

total growth (blue=growth):

black total population (not growth):

hispanic population:

For the racial maps, there are five shades for each color, each representing 20% chunks of the total population (thus the darkest color represents 80%-100%)

asian population:

white population:

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:01:08 PM »

2000:

2010:
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 01:07:23 PM »

2008 McCain-Obama (made by Lewis):

Wikipedia neighborhood map:
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 01:25:28 PM »

Thoughts on whether an effort will be made to unpack the white Democrats from NY-11?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 01:37:20 PM »

Thoughts on whether an effort will be made to unpack the white Democrats from NY-11?

FROM NY-11?  What would they be replaced with?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 02:17:23 PM »

FROM NY-11?  What would they be replaced with?

Areas of southern Brooklyn now in Weiner's district, mostly, extending to Coney Island. Well, that would actually be NY-10, but NY-11 would eat into NY-10's black areas as NY-11 has become less black but NY-10 has become more black in the past decade.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 02:29:32 PM »

Hmm...Well, I would say that Yvette Clarke isn't particularly influential in Albany, I'd have to imagine no one would really be going through extraordinary measures to draw her a favorable district.

Would that leave enough black voters for Ed Towns to be happy? 
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 03:09:56 PM »

Sure; you can manage 55% black or so in both seats. Ed Towns isn't going to get more than that. The real question is not how black the seats are, it's which non-blacks get matched with them (Hispanics to the northeast, liberal whites to the northwest or conservative whites to the southwest). I would think the last least likely to endanger Towns or Clarke as they do not vote as often in the Democratic primary.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 09:02:07 PM »

I think this map handles the Clarke/Towns situation pretty well: http://www.swingstateproject.com/diary/8587/ny-standpat-map
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 09:43:31 PM »

Is Towns even going to be around much longer? He's 76 and keeps getting primaried, although usually from the same guy. He also gave up the chance to be the ranking Democrat on the Oversight committee.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 09:45:29 PM »

Is Towns even going to be around much longer? He's 76 and keeps getting primaried, although usually from the same guy. He also gave up the chance to be the ranking Democrat on the Oversight committee.

He's also currently running for the most local of local offices (his son's District Leader slot since his son is leaving that to join the Cuomo administration) in a Hispanic area in East New York and speculating about running against Vito Lopez for District Leader.  Lopez, despite the name, isn't Hispanic, fwiw.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 09:50:17 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2011, 10:06:19 PM by Lunar »

I mean, at some point, two NYC black districts are going to be crunched together I figure (maybe across Queens/Brooklyn border?)

That strikes me as especially volatile at this moment though.  I should add that this makes Ed Towns not particularly vulnerable to being screwed over by redistricting!  Prominent politicians in NY aren't often taken out by redistricting plans, otherwise you risk your plan being scuttled by a few votes from their allies
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »
« Edited: March 27, 2011, 08:34:14 AM by Verily »

Just drew a map that keeps both majority black VAP while liberating the inner Brooklyn whites from NY-10. Interestingly, my NY-10 is NOT majority black, but it is majority black VAP (damn fecund Hasids)--the difference is big, too, 49.3% black but 51.5% black VAP. (Towns' seat is 54% black, 53% black VAP.) No need to go to Queens to draw them. This also aids the Democrats by packing in conservative whites into the black seats (Irish and Russians into NY-11; Orthodox Jews into NY-10).

Also, the unpopulated parts of Jamaica Bay in Brooklyn should be in NY-11; I forgot about them.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 08:40:25 AM »

On an aside, though, it does not look like a majority black CD is possible in Queens alone, however. Debating whether to dilute the Brooklyn seats or go into Nassau.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 08:48:59 AM »

On an aside, though, it does not look like a majority black CD is possible in Queens alone, however. Debating whether to dilute the Brooklyn seats or go into Nassau.
Draw a Black-dominated Plurality district, duh.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 09:05:52 AM »

I'd like to, but it seems risky in a preclearance county.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 09:11:37 AM »

I'd like to, but it seems risky in a preclearance county.
Why? How? You're not dealing with a DoJ hellbent on making things difficult for NY redistricters. And even if you were, that wouldn't be a case you could possibly lose.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies