A 2008 Interactive Timeline - Gameplay Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:47:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  A 2008 Interactive Timeline - Gameplay Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: A 2008 Interactive Timeline - Gameplay Thread  (Read 11531 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2011, 07:04:12 PM »

In the mid-1980's, the 22nd amendment was officially amended so that Presidents may seek up to three terms, instead of the original two. Despite this, President's Reagan and Clinton both decided not to seek a third term.

In the 2006 midterm elections, Democrats made huge gains, winning back the House. However, a narrow loss by Jim Webb in Virginia prevented Democrats from taking the Senate.

Democratic Candidates:
Hillary Clinton - Napoleon
Chris Dodd - Yelnoc
Joseph Lieberman - True Federalist
Bill Richardson - Sirnick
Mike Gravel - Wormyguy

Republican Candidates:
George W. Bush - Feeblepizza
Ron Paul - Jake Matthews
Donald Trump - tb75

Some Rules:
- Unlike past timelines, where you would request endorsements, that won't be the case this time. I make the final call. How well your candidate is doing determines what endorsements you'll get.
- Every few days, I'll post an update, with national polling as well as polling in leadoff states. If there is a certain state you'd like to see polled, please contact me via pm.
- This thread is for "in-game" posting only. If you have something else to say, please use it in the Sign-Up/Discussion thread.
- Want to join the game? Contact me via PM, and if it's not too late, you can join.
- You can make historical posts if you want (Ex: Posting a transcript of your announcement speech)

Start Day: July 1st, 2007
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 07:16:38 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2011, 07:32:32 PM by President Tmthforu94 »

Starting Map:

Republican Primary (National)Sad
George W. Bush: 46%
Donald Trump: 6%
Duncan Hunter: 4%
Ron Paul: 4%

Analysis: President Bush starts off his quest for a third term with a large lead over two less-established candidates. It should be concerning to the President's campaign that he is currently under 50%, and the President will have a difficult task of convincing primary voters that he deserves to be nominated for a third term. The President certainly dodged a bullet by not garnering any well-known opponents.

Democratic Primary (National)Sad
Hillary Clinton: 48%
Joseph Lieberman: 14%
Bill Richardson: 8%
Chris Dodd: 5%
Mike Gravel: 1%

Analysis: The former first lady starts off her quest to become the nation's first female President with a large lead over her opponents, though currently under 50%. It is crucial that Senator Clinton is prepared for the lead-off states. Losing those could provide her opponents with the momentum needed to turn this into a heated race.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 07:37:58 PM »

Ron Paul travels to Iowa and speaks at a GOP-hosted dinner.

"...So the Constitution is not a document that can be trampled on at the will of the administration. We have seen this administration freely ignore the fourth amendment with the enactment of the Patriot Act, let alone the unconstitutionality of our presence in the Middle East. We need a President who abides by the Constitution. When the President swears to uphold the Constitution and preserve and protect the Constitution, that is what we must expect from that President.

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 08:09:58 PM »

Donald Trump Calls a surprise Press Conference:

"Good Afternoon Everyone. You are all trying to guess why I asked all of you to be here today, and I am going to tell you all why right now. I am here to announce my intentions here today to run for the Republican nomination to become the next President. That's right, I am going to run this time, unlike the last two times, three times is the charm.

We are in a world where our country is becoming a laughingstock. The economy is not so great, our country is in two wars, and our legislative branch never accomplishes anything. Our current President sits around and does nothing when our country's citizens are homeless and our country is going in debt. China is beating us at every corner, and more children are dropping out of high school and living lives of crime. As your president, these things will never happen again.

I have been a successful businessman for most of my life, and believe I can bring my successes to the most important job in the land. I will bring my message to every state and will enjoy every minute of it. Thank you all for coming.

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:14:58 PM »

feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2011, 09:02:02 PM by Andrew Johnson Revivalist »

President Bush holds a conference in the White House Press Room....

Reporter: Mr. President, you are elligible to run for a third term in 2008. As of July 1st, you have not indicated whether you will retire or run. So far, Donald Trump is challenging you in the primary, Ron Paul has hinted that he'll announce soon, and you're leading both of them by enormous margins. Are you going to take the chance and run again?

Bush: Well, I've put a lot of thought into this. I've been praying on it for the past few months and God has given me the strength to make an official decision today. Our nation is indeed facing a lot of problems...there are two wars going on, the economy is rather stagnant, and Americans are reasonably angry. I believe, despite that, that I've been making the right decisions all the way through. In 2008, Americans will make the right decision. I believe it's best to take my chance and run for a third term. Thank you.

And thus, George W. Bush becomes the first President to run for a third term since the 22nd Amdendment was repealed....

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 08:29:51 PM »

"Now, I've made it clear since 2006 that I've been thinking about running. Right now, with the Republican Party in the shape it's in, I'm just about ready to announce. We have President Bush who has merely continued the free trade policies of his Democratic predecessor. These policies have caused a continuous loss of American jobs to foreign competition such as Mexico and the communist dictatorship of China.
In the age of the War on Terror, America needs a President who was actually willing to serve his country and knows first hand the thing called war, not a blue-blooded East Coaster who flew planes for the Texas Air National Guard and spent more of his time drinking than anything else. Also, look at the other candidates and prospective candidates. We have Donald Trump who is completely out of touch with Conservative values, having grown up in money and being an outright Liberal on issues such as abortion and gay marriage. On the other hand there's Ron Paul who'se known as vehemently anti-war and will only give the world an image of weakness. As of now I'm not announcing my candidacy. However, that may change within the week."

CNN: Meanwhile, a cutting and controversial statement by possible Republican challenger Congressman Duncan Hunter. Hunter is not well known, however, his Populist-Conservative record could strike a chord with more rural voters. In the speech he severely criticized the President's record in the Texas Air National Guard and tore down candidate and businessman Donald Trump and prospective candidate Ron Paul.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 08:56:17 PM »

Washington, D.C. -  Joe Lieberman at his apartment there and is on the phone.

"Glad I could catch you Al.  Listen, I need an answer from you about being a presenter at Live Earth.  I understand you not wanting to have any candidates there, you're already taking a lot of Republican bull***t about this being a campaign event for you, but so far all I have is an exploratory committee, and I do want to push the cap-and-trade issue so that we might have a chance of getting something done this Congress instead of waiting for W to go bye-bye.  If I'm not going to be there on the 7th, I want to make my formal campaign announcement on the 4th, otherwise I'll wait until the middle of the month.  So, Al, what's the decision?"
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 09:18:09 PM »

July 2, 2007

"Website helps candidates manage social networking"

The Federal Computer Week covers the use of social networking sites by presidential candidates.  Chris Dodd's use of MyLifeBrand to keep his supporters in sync received top marks from the editors.

July 6, 2007

"Singer Paul Simon Joins White House Hopeful Dodd on Iowa Campaign Trail"

Fox News covers Grammy Award winning singer/song writer Paul Simon's appearance with Chris Dodd in Iowa.  This marks the beginning of a five day "River to River" tour which Dodd will undertake in a large blue bus with his last name imprinted on the side.

20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 09:23:27 PM »

Ron Paul appears on Fox News Sunday.

Chris Wallace: Doctor Paul, there is a lot of speculation that you are considering running for President...is this true?
Ron Paul: Anything is possible. I'll most certainly have a decision to be announced within a few days, maybe a couple of weeks.
Chris Wallace: Let's say you do run for President, what kind of competition do you expect?
Ron Paul: Well, I know President Bush, Duncan Hunter and Donald Trump are running, so the field appears to be taking shape.
Chris Wallace: Do you think you could win, sir?
Ron Paul: Well sure, why couldn't I?
Chris Wallace: If you did win the nomination, who are some people that you would considering choosing as your Vice President?
Ron Paul: Well, in a broad overview, I have a close friendship with Dennis Kucinich of Ohio, so I'd consider a bi-partisan ticket. As for Republicans, George Pataki, the Former Governor of New York and Jim Gibbons, the Governor of Nevada are names that jump out at me.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 10:35:04 PM »

Donald Trump at a Campaign rally in Hew Hampshire:

"We have Ron Paul, a out of touch Libertarian who insults the Republican establishment one day, and decides to support our party the other day. What's the deal with that?

Then there is Duncan Hunter, who openly insults me and anyone else who is not openly conservative. I may have different stances from some issues but I am proud to be a Republican. Also, I earned my way to where I am now, so next time you try to insult someone Hunter, find out the facts first. Now go back to California where you should stay."
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 01:27:38 AM »

In Santa Fe, New Mexico -- Governor Bill Richardson announces that he will run for President citing his experience as an ambassador both independently and while under the Clinton Administration; his executive leadership, as well as having worked as a Congressman and the Secretary of Energy for Bill Clinton.

Richardson speaks about how America is starting to have its own dynastic cycle. Bush - Clinton - Clinton - Bush - Bush and now Bush/Clinton?

Later that week Richardson flys out to Iowa to stump in the early caucus state.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 09:26:35 AM »

Ron Paul announces his candidacy for President of the United States of America.

feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 12:21:07 PM »

President Bush gives an interview with Fox New's Shepard Smith.

Smith: President Bush, what do you think of Duncan Hunter's imminent candidacy?
Bush: Well, I'll congratulate him on having the courage to make such an important decision in his life, and I wish him the best of luck. But his style of campaigning, with criticizing Donald Trump, Ron Paul, and I is rather unproductive. I'd like to base this campaign on the issues, and that's something that the Congressman hasn't really been doing.
Smith: Well, you've indeed criticized others quite heavily. Remember the South Carolina primary in 2000?
Bush: Yes, I have criticized others. But my criticisms against opponents has always been based on fact. The Congressman's criticisms of my background with alcohol is just uncalled for. I changed my life, and that's all behind me. Also, attacking the ideological purity of people like Donald Trump is just uncalled for. He may not be a social conservative, but is a solid conservative on some other relevant issues, like economics.
Smith: 2008 is going to be a difficult year. Are you going to change your campaign style any?
Bush: 2008 is going to be a hectic year, just as 2007 has been. And I plan on using the issues, predominantly, to wage my campaign. If I need to attack someone, I will. But only if the attacks are based on real facts. Congressman Hunter's are not.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 12:28:29 PM »

President Bush at a rally in New Hampshire:

"Hello, America! We've had eight years of security and economic freedom. I think that, with your help, we can have another four! Please go out there and tell your friends and relatives to support the Bush campaign in 2008. They did in 2000 and 2004 and they won't regret doing it a third time!"

He speaks briefly on his opponents, wishing each one luck but telling Duncan Hunter to "tone it down."

Overall, the speech was well recieved and President Bush left feeling optimistic for his chances at a third term.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 02:13:20 PM »

Trump in a interview with NBC News:

Williams: Mr. Trump, how do you feel about President Bush's statements against Congressman Hunter?

Trump: Well Brian, I actually agree with the President for once. It seems like Congressman Hunter is trying to make this campaign negative from the start, but our party does not need that. It will lead us to disaster, like the 1968 and 1992 elections. It is important for our party to stay unified, because if not the Democrats will run over us in the election.

Williams: Mr. Trump, if you do win the nomination and the election, what will be the first thing you will set out to accomplish?

Trump: I would meet with Congressional leaders from both parties and set out the ground rules. When we pass the first budget, I will try to cut as much wasteful government jobs as possible.  America's government should not provide most of America's jobs, the government should run our country. And with me as President, the government will do just that.

Williams: Thank you, Mr. Trump.

Trump: Thank you Brian
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 04:07:11 PM »

Washington - After sharp criticism was made by California Congressman Duncan Hunter on his potential opponents, PPP ran a poll, questioning voters about the comments and Duncan Hunter.

Question 1: Do you have a favorable, unfavorable, or neutral opinion of Duncan Hunter?
Favorable: 16%
Unfavorable: 35%
Undecided/Unsure: 49%

Question 2: Do you believe the attacks made by Congressman Hunter on President Bush, Mr. Trump, and Congressman Paul have any merit?
Yes: 39%
No: 33%
Undecided/Unsure: 28%

Question 3: Do the comments made by Congressman Hunter make you more likely to vote for him, less likely, or about the same?
More Likely: 9%
Less Likely: 39%
About the Same: 52%
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »

July 10, 2007

"Dodd's Iowa Tour Finale a Success"

Senator Chris Dodd ended his five day "River to River" tour with a major rally in Sioux City, one of Iowa's largest urban centers located at the junction of the Missouri River and Big Sioux.  His speech, which was well received by the moderately large crowd, touched on a number of subjects.  The ongoing Surge in Iraq received especially scathing criticism; Dodd called for an immediate withdrawal of troops from the war torn country.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 05:50:59 PM »

Hillary Clinton holds a rally in Des Moines, Iowa with support of her husband, Bill. The campaign kick-off is met with applause and enthusiasm by a crowd of Iowans disappointed by the economic stagnation and bureaucratic incompetence of recent years under current President George W. Bush.

For what has now amounted to seven long, grueling years, working Americans have had to deal with this administration's failures and sheer ineptness. Why has President Bush allowed our standard of living to decrease? Why are business leaving and taking their jobs with them and why aren't they being replaced? Why do the Republicans feel it is alright to cut taxes for the super wealthy and want to take away the benefits promised to us by privatizing Social Security, a hall mark of America's tradition of helping those in need? I've heard these questions and others over and over from ordinary Americans, people like you & I- people who believe America can be great once again.

This country is on a track, the wrong track- one that may lead us off the edge of a cliff. It is not too late to change direction. We need a leader with the experience to do what is right for America, not for corporate cronies. Through my work in the US Senate I have demonstrated a willingness to listen to all viewpoints and cooperate with others to find the best solutions to our dire problems. Our President, unfortunately, has been unwilling to acknowledge that his War on Terror is being mismanaged. Our President has been unwilling to acknowledge that his administration completely and unacceptably bungled the Hurricane Katrina situation. Our President has turned his back on hard-working Americans and catered to the super rich. The Republicans have had their turn and they have let us down. I am the Democrat in this race who can significantly contrast with President Bush's administration and have the resume to back it up. Moderation vs. Extremism. Hope vs. Fear. Reason vs. Dogma. This is what we are up against. No longer can we be Democrat vs. Republican. Times are far too critical. This is a time to stand united behind the principles that define us as a people. Together, we can build a better and brighter future for generations to come. To do this, i need your support in the race for the Democratic nomination. Together, we can make a difference.

Hillary Clinton lets Bill speak, to tremendous applause.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 06:25:36 PM »

Ron Paul makes a speech in Iowa.

"President Bush has recently made statements that have been labeled as 'attacks' against me. Are his comments justified? Absolutely not. His administration has led the assault on the Constitution. Trampling the fourth amendment and frankly the first amendment, violating the eighth amendment by allowing the death penalty to be used on a daily basis, not to mention the Iraq War which was not legal. I don't think it's time for more trampling of the Constitution. I think it's time for a President who will stand up for the Constitution and protect it. If you want that type of President, I'm your man."
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 08:42:16 AM »

President Bush addresses a crowd in Iowa:

"Congressman Paul made a speech here awhile ago where he stated, first off, that I attacked him, and then proceeded to attack me. I don't recall attacking Congressman Paul. The only person I've attacked is Congressman Hunter for his lack of decorum.

As for Congressman Paul's attacks, they have merit and I will address them: the Patriot Act is perfectly legal as the 4th Amendment allows for reasonable violations of privacy rights...the fight against terror isn't reasonable? And the death penalty is a reasonable punishment, I believe, for those who wish to kill innocent people for purely political purposes. The Iraq War is indeed legal and was approved by a declaration in the Congress.

I will stand firm on the issue of terrorism and don't apologize for my views. We need a Commander-in-Chief who will fight the fight for freedom and against tyranny all over the globe. If you want that in a leader, give me a third term. Thank you
."
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 09:40:38 AM »

President Bush gives an interview with a local newspaper in South Carolina:

Reporter: Mr. President, what do you hope to achieve in a third term?
Bush: Well, I would love to continue the fight against terrorism both at home and abroad. In the meantime, we need to boost the economy with tax cuts and rebates to those who've paid too much, as we did in 2001.
Reporter: Will Vice-President Cheney be running again?
Bush: I'm not sure.
Reporter: Who would you chose to replace him if he retired?
Bush: Well, Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina seems like a good choice. I would consider House Minority Leader John Boehner of Ohio. Maybe former Governors Mike Huckabee of Arkansas or Mitt Romney of Massachusetts. There are a lot of good choices out there, and I'll start considering them once Dick comes up with a verdict.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 03:01:36 PM »

Ron Paul appears on MSNBC's Morning Joe

Joe Scarborough: Congressman Paul, how do you respond to President Bush's response to your statements challenging some of his legislation?

Ron Paul: Well, I know he defended the Patriot Act as a "reasonable invasion of privacy" which frankly to me sounds a little redundant. There is either full invasion or no invasion in my mind. He also claimed that the war on terror was reasonable, which it is not. The war was unconstitutional, that's plain and simple. I proposed legislation to declare war on Iraq, but nobody wanted to hear it. He also defended the death penalty but not in detail. He also said we need a leader who will fight for freedom and tyranny around the globe, seeming to claim that I will not. I'm preparing for a bitter campaign against President Bush and I won't back down.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 03:04:32 PM »

Governor Sanford calls a press conference at the Capital Building in Columbia, SC.

"I have asked you all here today to announce that I am not going to form a exploratory committee. Because I have made up my mind. I'm running for President, and I'm in it to win it. I believe in the two term tradition, and if I run, you can count on me to continue it. Isn't that what a real Conservative would do?"

Sanford leaves the room, with questions being asked by reporters. Later in the day holds a kick off event in Charleston, South Carolina.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 04:46:41 PM »

July 15, 2007

Murphy for Dodd
Freshman Congressman Chris Murphy of Connecticut appeared with Senator and Presidential hopeful Cris Dodd at the Plymouth Senior Center in New Hampshire.  Murphy traded endorsements with his former mentor Dodd, whom he worked for as an intern in the mid-1990's.  As insignificant as this may seem to Dodd, this is his first political endorsement of this fiscal year's fourth quarter.  This does appear to be contributing to a general upswing of momentum from the senator, who hopes to surpass Hillary Clinton as the Democratic primary leader.

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies