A 2008 Interactive Timeline - Gameplay Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:09:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  A 2008 Interactive Timeline - Gameplay Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: A 2008 Interactive Timeline - Gameplay Thread  (Read 11537 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 05:00:15 PM »

July 7th, 2007 - The Meadowlands - Live Earth Event

Conclusion of Joe Lieberman's presentation:

... and that's why I urge those of you listening to this in the United States to get off your duffs and not just do your own personal part to help the environment, but also let your representatives and senators know that you want action on climate change, and that you want it now.  The Earth is too important to wait another two years for the stars in Washington to align.  Not only that, but unless we make our voices heard now, we may have to wait six or more years to get something done.

But enough of politics for the moment, please give it up for our next performer, Kelly Clarkson.

(OOC: Kelly Clarkson did perform at Live Earth and here is an ironic link I found when I googled the two together.)

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 05:04:51 PM »

Mark Sanford arrives in Iowa, for a event in Ceder Rapids.

I am running for President because I am opposed to the principle of a third term. If our President was a Conservative, why would he go against the tradition of a third term? Or massively expand government control over schools, or give amnesty to the illegal immigrants? Im the true Republican canidate in the Republican primaries.

Sanford meets a group of voters, signs autographs, etc.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2011, 05:46:39 PM by Denmark has a higher number of English speakers than Canada. »

.................................................................................................
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 05:46:18 PM »

Goldwater Endorses Paul

Barry Goldwater Jr, the son of Barry Goldwater, one of the pillars of the Libertarian movement, has endorsed Ron Paul for President at a rally in Iowa.

In other news, Dr. Paul is expected to land in New Hampshire tomorrow to began campaigning in the early primary state of New Hampshire.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 06:37:07 PM »

Hillary Clinton gets interviewed by Bill O'Reilly, who claimed it would be one of his toughest interviews yet.

O'Reilly: Lots of people are talking about your push for health care reform that failed in Bill's first term. How do you respond to the criticism toward your approach?

Clinton: Well, I would first acknowledge that some mistakes that were made back then would not be made now. Actually, I'm glad you asked this question because my sharpest contrast with President Bush is my ability to learn from past mistakes and take that, that experience and just use it to its full potential. People get so caught up in their rigid ideological positions that they forget that you can't be right 100% of the time, and I certainly don't want a President who thinks that. My approach would be to really look at what's on the table and to make an informed decision based off the facts and evidence available to me. Imagine if we had done that before going in to Iraq! In the Senate, I've learned a lot about the workings of that chamber that I didn't realize as First Lady. There are some Republicans I would love to get input from. I know we have a lot of strong and passionate Democrats, too. The partisanship of President Bush's administration may just be it's biggest and most tragic flaw.

O'Reilly: Wow, I'm surprised with your clarity!

Clinton: I'm surprised you didn't interrupt me!

O'Reilly: Right. You mention Iraq, but didn't you yourself vote to send troops into Iraq to help find weapons of mass destruction and stop Saddam Hussein?

Clinton: This administration misled the Senate, misled the United Nations, and misled the American people with respect to Iraq. At the time, we were only given part of the information the Bush administration had and were under tough pressure. It was presented to us as an imminent threat, we had to act. If this administration were more transparent, we would not have lost so many American lives in Iraq, we would not have spent so much money and we would be better off because of it. Transparency is key to any Clinton administration.

O'Reilly: It's like four years ago! Similar to how John Kerry was against it before he was for it, but he was really for it before he was against it?

Clinton: No, it's nothing like that. My position has been clear and consistent from day one. It is the Bush administration that has failed to present a true position when they misled the American people into Iraq, someone who promised to be a uniter and not a divider. When Bill was President, we didn't not have the sort of problems we do now. This is a direct result of failed Bush administration policies that I can and will reverse. We can only continue down this dark path for so long before running out of light.

O'Reilly: I don't think the light will be going anywhere anytime soon. Thanks for coming on.

Clinton: Thank you.

O'Reilly: You know, she doesn't sound as bad when you put her up next to these far-left candidates like Chris Dodd, or the extremist Republicans like Duncan Hunter or Ron Paul. But do we really need a second Clinton right after a second Bush? I think Americans will want to ask themselves whether or not President Bush deserves re-election on his own merits.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 04:45:39 PM »

Sanford visits voters in New Hampshire.

"Unlike the other Republican contenders, accept for the President, I am the only pro-war canidate. I am not in favor of withdrawl from Iraq. Such actions would create a power vacumn in which Iran would fill. Is that what Ron Paul and Hillary Clinton want? A Iranian dominated Middle East? Thats what is seems like to me".
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 05:03:29 PM »

Ron Paul arrives in New Hampshire

My friends, it is time for a change. I voted against the resolution to amend the constitution and allow for Presidents to seek a third term. The Constitution is fine the way it is, it is not necessary to change it. I think we need a President who is ready to lead, who is ready to fight for every citizen, not just corporations or special interest groups. I'm going to fight for the little guy, the family on main street struggling to make their payments each month on their house or car. I'm ready to lead for them, not for some fat cat. Thank you!
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 05:35:41 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2011, 07:41:16 AM by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »

July 28, 2007

Dodd Barnstorms Iowa
Over the past two days, Chris Dodd has met with voters across seven different towns in the Buckeye State.  For a list of the places Dodd visited and an inside look at his campaign calendar, see here.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 05:50:23 PM »

Sanford visits voters in Myrtle Beach, and appears on Larry King Live.

Larry King: Good evening, Governor Sanford.

Mark Sanford: Hello Larry, thanks for having me.

Larry King: Let me get to the point-Why are you running for President?

Mark Sanford: I am running, against President Bush, because no President should ever exceed 2 terms. We saw how FDR massively expanded government, and prolonged the Depression. Were looking at the same conditions as we did in 1929.

Larry King: Do you expect to win the upcoming Iowa primary?

Mark Sanford: Yes-the voters of Iowa are proved Conservatives. And when they go to the polls, they will ask theirselves-Is President Bush a real Conservative? That's the message of this campaign.

Larry King: Can you make a prediction on the Democratic side?

Mark Sanford: No, its too early, though Dodd, and Clinton have made headway.

Larry King: Any decision on a running mate?

Mark Sanford: Its too early, though Bill Frist,George Allen,Bobby Jindall, Sam Brownback, and Fred Thompson are rumored to be replacements for VP Cheney, and I dont disagree with any of those names.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2011, 06:42:32 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2011, 06:47:01 AM by Napoleon »

Hillary Clinton visits a small Iowa town and talks with locals

You know, we've never had a woman's perspective in the White House and we've had eight years of Republican perspective. I think it's time to get this country back on the right track. Even Mark Sanford has acknowledged that failed Republican policies are taking us back to the Great Depression. If I am elected I will bring progressive reform that benefits hard-working Americans and their families- the backbone of our society. No more handouts to corporate fatcats or Wall Street magic tricks. We can bring America back to prosperity, but not if we elect another term of Republican mismanagement!

Hillary is asked why Democrats should choose her over her primary rivals

Well, I understand the needs of the Hawkeye State better than any of my rivals, some who may have gotten lost here on their way to the Buckeye State. I've worked in business. I've been in the White House while Bill was there making tough decisions. I've been on the ground, talked with our troops, met with world leaders. I've always been an advocate for Iowa's great agriculture industry and as President my policies would promote job growth that would benefit the economy not only in Iowa but across the nation.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2011, 08:39:13 AM »

President Bush responds to a question about term limits at a town hall meeting in Columbia, South Carolina:

"I think that, when you have an effective President who can do their job the right way and who makes the right decisions, then that President should be able to run for more than two terms. I'm running for a third term because I believe I am an effective President and have, for the most part, made the right decisions. Americans will respect that in 2008 and will make the right decision. Hopefully that decision includes granting George W. Bush a third term in the White House. Thank you."
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2011, 02:40:32 PM »

I don't have time for this Sad
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2011, 03:14:05 PM »

August 1st Polling:
Generic Republican: 44%
Generic Democrat: 42%

Republicans slightly improved in the polls, as it was a strong month for the President, who started the campaign much stronger than many anticipated. Negative campaigning on the Republican side has prevented them from increasing their lead by even more. Republicans have pulled even in Pennsylvania and New Hampshire, while taking a moderate lead in New Hampshire.

Republican Primary (National)Sad
George W. Bush: 45%
Mark Sanford: 14%
Ron Paul: 9%
Donald Trump: 8%
Duncan Hunter: 5%

Republican Primary (Iowa)Sad
George W. Bush: 40%
Ron Paul: 17%
Mark Sanford: 12%
Donald Trump: 11%
Duncan Hunter: 1%

Analysis: In the first month of campaigning, President Bush was able to maintain roughly the same percentage of the Republican vote. The President has done a good job defending his decision to run for a third term, but a weak economy and the public souring on the Iraq war is causing the President to still remain below 50%. In mid-July, South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford entered the Presidential race, and was able to sway many Southernors who were previously undecided into his camp. Both Ron Paul and Donald Trump made strong starts to their campaigns, nearing 10% nationally. Duncan Hunter started his race getting a lot of attention and potentially becoming the "Anti-Bush" candidate, but has since failed to maintain that momentum.

Democratic Primary (National)Sad
Hillary Clinton: 44%
Chris Dodd: 18%
Joseph Lieberman: 13%
Mike Gravel: 2%

Democratic Primary (Iowa)Sad
Hillary Clinton: 35%
Chris Dodd: 28%
Joseph Lieberman: 10%
Mike Gravel: 2%

Analysis: At the start of this campaign, Hillary Clinton looked to be the presumptive Democratic nominee. However, that soon changed, as Chris Dodd charged onto the scene, running an upbeat and aggressive campaign, heavily focused on denting Senator Clinton's lead in Iowa. Senator Clinton began her campaign with an impressive announcement speech and a strong interview with Bill O'Reilly, and her position with moderate Democrats has greatly improved. Senator Lieberman seems poised to be making a run as well, and looks to already have the support of former Vice President Albert Gore. Bill Richardson had a good start of his campaign, but financing never materialized, and he dropped out by the end of the month. Mike Gravel has stayed pretty well out of the spotlight, but has certainly produced some interesting advertisements.

Endorsement List:

President George W. Bush:
Vice President Dick Cheney
Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice
Secretary of Defense Robert Gates
Senator Judd Gregg

Ron Paul:
Barry Goldwater Jr.
Gary Johnson

Donald Trump:
Gene Chapman
Linda McMahon and Vince McMahon

Mark Sanford:
Joe Wilson

Duncan Hunter:
None

Hillary Clinton:
Bill Clinton
Blanche Lincoln
Chuck Schumer
Evan Bayh
Robert Byrd
Joe Manchin

Chris Dodd:
Paul Simon
Chris Murphy
Steve Martin
Ned Lamont
John Kerry

Joseph Lierbman:
Al Gore

Mike Gravel:
None

New Rule: You can pm me endorsement requests, just so I can get an idea of who you'd like. Doesn't mean you'll get them all, though.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 03:29:50 PM »

Former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson speaks in Iowa:

"My friends, I'm excited to make the announcement that I will be endorsing Ron Paul for President! Dr. Paul and I are seen as trailblazers for the modern libertarian movement and I ask all of you to ask yourselves this question: Do you really want the same President again? Isn't it time to make a change? President Bush is acting like the kid in elementary school who hogged the kickball all to himself and wouldn't give anyone else a chance to play! *laughter* But seriously, Ron Paul is the right man for the job. I respect him and I know all of you do too. RON PAUL '08! -smiles-"
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2011, 03:58:33 PM »

Sanford visits voters in Florida.

Hillary Clinton recently mentioned me in one of her speeches. Make no mistake-I am not her. If anyone is her. She has one of the most Liberal voting records in the Senate, and is not a better choice for this party. We need is change-Conservative change! We need to inject some new blood into the party! President Bush had his 8 years. And now look where we are! Were almost in a recession, the deficit is getting higher and higher, and the government has grown at massive levels.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2011, 04:13:59 PM »

Donald Trump in Iowa:

Trump: We are doing great everyone. We are starting to spread our message, but we still have some work to do. Bush's message is being spread as well, but  people are beginning to realize that behind the smoke and mirrors Bush has nothing to brag about. The economy is in shambles and our position is laughed at. We need someone else with a new view and is not corrupted like the rest of the men in Washington, and I am the man for the job.

Thank you!
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2011, 04:25:21 PM »

August 4, 2007

Ned Lamont Endorses Senator Dodd
Ned Lamont endorsed Chris Dodd at a fundraiser in Hartford yesterday afternoon.  The popular former senate candidate was well received by the crowd of political donors.  Dodd has been heavily outspent by the Clinton campaign; whether Dodd can build a motivated grassroots networked to dethrone the dynasties remains to be seen.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2011, 07:11:17 PM »

Governor Sanford attends a rally in West Virginia

"The issue with energy is that we cant drill our own. If the President, and the other candidates are serious about the issue, lets drill! Lets stop making the Saudies rich!"

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2011, 10:21:22 AM »

Hillary Clinton hits the Iowa campaign trail, again with husband Bill, stumping in Cedar Rapids

My friends, we endured twelve long years of Reaganomics and right-wing policies under Reagan and Bush until Bill came along and brought us back to economic prosperity with one of the longest economic booms in decades. We've gone through another near eight disastrous years under the current administration. I hate to say it, but if John Kerry couldn't do it in 2004, why would his candidate Chris Dodd be any different now? Dodd and Bush- two candidates too close for comfort. We don't need greedy bankers having any more influence than they already do with President Bush. I will fight for you. I will win this election for the Democratic Party, and I will work across party lines to get things done. My record speaks for itself.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2011, 10:38:59 AM »

This morning, PPP released a poll from the state of Connecticut, both Republican and Democrat. Connecticut is a highly anticipated state, with both Democratic Senators from the state seeking the Presidency.

Republicans (Connecticut)Sad
George W. Bush: 38%
Donald Trump: 15%
Ron Paul: 9%
Mark Sanford: 5%
Duncan Hunter: 3%

Analysis: With the advantage of incumbmency and a long history in the state of Connecticut, President Bush has a comfortable lead in the state of Connecticut, though Donald Trump is also performing well in this Northeastern state.

Democrats (Connecticut)Sad
Chris Dodd: 29%
Hillary Clinton: 24%
Joseph Lieberman: 19%
Mike Gravel: 1%

Analysis: This could be one of the closest states in the nation for the Democratic candidates. Both Chris Dodd and Joseph Lieberman perform well in the state, as does Hillary Clinton. Momentum will play a huge factor, as any of the main three candidates could win this state.

General Election Head-to-Head Polling:
George W. Bush: 39%
Hillary Clinton: 46%

George W. Bush: 40%
Chris Dodd: 47%

George W. Bush: 37%
Joseph Lieberman: 47%

Donald Trump: 32%
Chris Dodd: 44%

Donald Trump: 31%
Hillary Clinton: 40%

Donald Trump: 34%
Joseph Lieberman: 48%

Analysis: George W. Bush is clearly the Republicans best chance at winning the state of Connecticut, but it'll be an uphill climb. Joseph Lieberman would be the best general election candidate for the Democrats here, as he performs the strongest among Independent voters.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2011, 03:00:55 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2011, 03:56:52 PM by Michael John Williams Is My Husband »

Ron Paul makes a speech in New Hampshire.

"Friends, I'd hate to sound like a broken record but frankly, it's time for a change. You know just as well as I do that you don't want a three term President. Who knows, by the time 2016 comes, we could amend the Constitution to allow Presidents to run as much as they want. We have to stop amending the Constitution. The document was written almost three hundred years ago, we have to go by what our founders wrote and what the other 17 amendments say as they were ratified. There is a strong difference between passing legislation and amending the Constitution. Whereas the latter creates so much more complication in the system, we could just pass legislation. If you want a President that will only run for two terms as was previously written in the Constitution, I'm your man. God bless you all!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2011, 03:37:08 PM »

After statements made by Ron Paul in New Hampshire, Congressman Paul is slammed by Keith Olberman on CNN...

Doctor Paul, as he likes to be called, always harps on the significance of the Constitution and how important it is. He first criticizes Congress for amending the Constitution, and wants that in the future term-limits could be abolished completely! If preserving the Constitution is so important to Congressman Paul, he should support a repeal of term limits, for there weren't any term limits when the Constitution was written. That didn't come until the 22nd amendment.  On top of that, Doctor Paul professes to say there were 17 amendments to the Constitution, when in reality, there are 27! Learn the document you love so much, Doctor Paul!

Polling down the next day by a small polling firm that this gaffe by Congressman Paul doesn't really affect the voters, as only 18% of voters said it would make them less likely to vote for the Congressman.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2011, 03:57:59 PM »

August 5, 2007

Dodd slams News Corporation-Wall Street Journal Merger

Conservative magnate Rupert Murdoch's acquisition of Wall Street Journal, finalized about a week and a half ago, has had strong reverberations in the political world.  Connecticut Senator Chris Dodd was particularly appalled by the Murdoch's expanding monopoly.  

"I am deeply troubled by the incredible amount of consolidation occurring across the American media landscape," said Dodd through a statement issued by his campaign a few days ago.  A campaign spokeswoman commented that "he is a believer in free speech" when asked about the statement.

August 11, 2007

Dodd Criss-cross New Hampshire
Today Chris Dodd wrapped up a four-day tour of the Granite State.  The trip started off well on Wednesday afternoon in Manchester with a forum on higher education; by evening Dodd was in Concord.  On Thursday, he visited three towns, stopping in Bartlett to give a speech to the NEAH-NH.  Over the next two days, Dodd made appearances in Manchester, Nashua, Peterborough, Exeter, New Market, and Portsmouth.  Overall, Dodd visited ten towns in four days.

20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2011, 04:00:26 PM »

In response to Keith Olbermann's comments:

I do support term limits, Mr. Olbermann did everything BUT ask me if I supported such a thing. Secondly, he made a comment claiming that I believe there are only 17 amendments to the Constitution, if Mr. Olbermann hasn't realized that after the bill of rights, there WERE 17 amendments to the Constitution, totaling 27. I know how many amendments there are in the Constitution, I was referring to the 17 ratified by Congress AFTER the Bill of Rights. Mr. Olbermann is blindly attacking me without asking me the context of my statements and frankly, I take offense to that. Now, I'd love to appear on Mr. Olbermann's show and explain my positions and I'd be happy to answer any questions that he may have.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2011, 04:58:01 PM »

Mark Sanford arrives at a campaign event in Iowa

"I will be boycotting MSNBC until Keith Ulberman apologizes for perhaps the most stupid attack in media history. I may not agree a whole bunch with Congressman Paul, but Ulbermans obvious hatred of Republicans by far crosses over the lines of civility"
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies