MS-PPP: All Republicans ahead of Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:36:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  MS-PPP: All Republicans ahead of Obama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: MS-PPP: All Republicans ahead of Obama  (Read 5756 times)
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 06:05:26 PM »

Wow, Mitt Romney isn't doing too well...
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 09:22:02 PM »

I wouldn't get too excited/depressed depending on your political leanings about the close matchups in this poll. Mississippi won't be close unless drastic happens between now and next November. I think Obama will most likely have a hard time reaching 43% here next year. I'd expect his numbers to drop by a point or two.

As for Palin, Romney, and Gingrich having such close races, I feel almost certain that it's a case of people who are less than crazy about them, but when push comes to shove, they'll choose in their minds "the lesser of the two evils." You don't have to study Mississippi politics much to know which way the vast majority of those voters are going to break.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 09:30:29 AM »

Mississippi will vote for the Republican nominee if President Obama can't get more than 30% of the white vote in Mississippi. Mississippi politics look downright tribal from where I am. If white people in Mississippi voted like white people in Kansas or West Virginia, then he would win Mississippi. He would have to win close to 50% of the white vote in either Kansas or West Virginia to win either Kansas or West Virginia because those states have overwhelming white majorities.

President Obama is the definitive d@mn-yankee politician, someone who just can't connect at all with southern, white, rural culture. He's perfectly made for winning over large crowds in urban America (urban America now including the suburbs). Such is good for winning Virginia but not Tennessee. He has learned that he can outdo Republicans in one part of what used to be 'their' turf -- suburban voters concerned largely with tax rates and keeping their bosses happy. Now suburban voters have other concerns -- like the environment, traffic jams, and crime.     
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 03:26:28 PM »

Yikes:

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 04:09:49 PM »

The South isn't racist at all.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 06:20:11 PM »

Yeah, just like Republicans aren't climate change deniers.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 06:44:57 PM »

Interracial marriage probably didn't do well among people of any race in MS. As I recall, the Alabama referendum repealing the defunct anti-miscegenation statute back in 2002 barely passed in the Black Belt counties (except Montgomery) while barely passing statewide.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 08:15:52 PM »

Interracial marriage probably didn't do well among people of any race in MS. As I recall, the Alabama referendum repealing the defunct anti-miscegenation statute back in 2002 barely passed in the Black Belt counties (except Montgomery) while barely passing statewide.

Well, their black people are racist, too.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2011, 09:11:38 PM »

Apparently the GOP could nominate a ham sandwich and it would win in MS

and...

WTF? Is this 1970?

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2011, 04:03:37 AM »

Apparently the GOP could nominate a ham sandwich and it would win in MS

and...

WTF? Is this 1970?

Mississippi would have been closer to 10% pro-legality in 1970. Even that is probably quite a generous estimate.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2011, 04:57:40 AM »

I wonder what the racial breakdown on that question looks like.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2011, 05:01:40 AM »

I wonder what the racial breakdown on that question looks like.

About 98% of MS Republicans are White, so you already know the answer.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 05:13:07 AM »

Better said, out of the 400 Republicans interviewed in this poll, only 4-8 persons are Black.

Big margin of error (even though I think Blacks who are voting Republican are also very religious nuts and their views are not much different from those of the Whites)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 07:59:45 AM »

In the 2000 referendum legalizing interracial marriage, the Black Belt of Alabama voted heavily in favour.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 08:15:31 AM »
« Edited: April 08, 2011, 08:24:19 AM by The 1st Amendment means nothing w/o people like Gen Petraeus »

I'm calling bullsh**t.  I have relatives who are Missouri Republicans, I have interacted with quite a few more, and believe me, there's almost nothing I wouldn't put past them.  This is "almost nothing."  It's highly reminiscent of all the "look at all these wild and crazy things Republicans believe!" polls produced by the last Kos house pollster.  If I was on the fence before, I'm convinced now - I'm going to be ignoring PPP polls from here on out - at least until after Labor Day in the general or shortly before a primary.  I'm applying the same to Rasmussen, especially their issue polls. It's a real shame, since Ron Paul has been doing so well in the PPP polls.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2011, 08:35:28 AM »

I'm calling bullsh**t.  I have relatives who are Missouri Republicans, I have interacted with quite a few more, and believe me, there's almost nothing I wouldn't put past them.  This is "almost nothing."  It's highly reminiscent of all the "look at all these wild and crazy things Republicans believe!" polls produced by the last Kos house pollster.  If I was on the fence before, I'm convinced now - I'm going to be ignoring PPP polls from here on out - at least until after Labor Day in the general or shortly before a primary.  I'm applying the same to Rasmussen, especially their issue polls. It's a real shame, since Ron Paul has been doing so well in the PPP polls.
MS stands for Mississippi.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2011, 08:39:22 AM »

I just realized my error - in my defense I saw this poll labeled "Missouri" on another site.  I'm still not entirely convinced this if true, but if it were, the state it would be true in is Mississippi.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2011, 09:13:37 AM »

Only 46% of Mississippi republicans recognize they're against interracial marriages... but that number is probably 60-70%. Half of that 40% who say they think it should be legal think it should be ilegal but are embarrassed to recognize it haha...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2011, 12:11:30 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Smiley
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2011, 12:16:56 PM »

Are they asking if they can name the correct winner of the Civil War or whether or not the winner (meaning the north) was the "right" side of the war?

I think if they are asking the latter, they should ask the former as well.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2011, 12:55:34 PM »

Do we really expect anything else from Mississippi?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2011, 02:49:40 PM »

Mississippians who answer polls are probably more affluent (and thus Democratic, in the Deep South) than the general population
You could hardly have picked a state for which this was less true.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2011, 03:00:13 PM »

Moreover, "I'm calling bullsh**t on polling methodology" is an odd message in a post that begins with talking about the opinion of your family members.  Obviously a randomized, large sample there.

This is getting pretty amusing, on top of your "Mississippi Democrats are affluent" post.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2011, 03:04:50 PM »

It is Mississippi, the most racially polarized state that there is, this result is to be expected.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2011, 07:24:42 PM »

In the 2000 referendum legalizing interracial marriage, the Black Belt of Alabama voted heavily in favour.

Yep:

Funny to see that 4 counties that voted "no" also went for Mike Dukakis only 12 years previously. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies