US House Redistricting: Maine
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:28:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Maine
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Maine  (Read 21242 times)
Kevinstat

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2014, 11:38:54 PM »

This is a 2+-year old thread now and even this article is pushing two years old, but as I just updated the Maine Legislative/county commissioner redistricting thread I thought I'd post a link to this article as some of the legally minded Forum members (like jimrtex) might be interested in it.

Court Slashes Baker & Hostetler Fees in Maine Redistricting Litigation (Am Law Daily, March 30, 2012)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I looked sometime last year at the PACER directory of documents for this case and didn't see anything after the decision as to attorney's fees discussed in this article, so I guess there was never an appeal filed.  It's worth noting that even though the Attorney General at the time was a Republican, and the lawsuit was pretty clearly aimed at allowing the Republicans then with the trifecta in Maine to redraw the second district to their advantage, the Attorney General wasn't afraid to recommend major cuts to Plaintiffs' counsel's totals that the state, as the losing party in a civil rights vindication case, would have to pay.  The local counsel for Plaintiffs was a former Mayor of Bangor and 2002 Republican candidate for Congress in Maine's second district, finishing a very close second to Kevin Raye in the Republican primary.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies