Why Indiana is so conservative ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:39:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why Indiana is so conservative ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Indiana is so conservative ?  (Read 21287 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« on: March 23, 2004, 03:07:46 AM »
« edited: March 23, 2004, 03:08:51 AM by StatesRights »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I agree on the first two, the third one I could strongly debate you on. Yes the North wanted higher taxes on the south. The south was paying the north and getting nothing back. Compare the roads, railroads and waterway systems just before 1860. The Northerners were sucking the south dry of profits and giving them nothing in return. One of the MAIN reasons for the war. Abolition was a minority. On the high end 10% of the north was in favor of abolition. Most Northern businessman couldn't condemn slavery because they were in the process of enslaving the Irish in their factories and factory towns. Robert Gould Shaw who led the 54th Mass., a black regiment, was a very very wealthy man. And you want to guess how his father made his money? You guessed, the slave trade. The slave trade made Massachusetts a wealthy state.

Indiana had strong southern sympathies in the southern part of the state. Indiana actually sent a Confederate regiment south. Many Indianans consider themselves southern before mid-western.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 01:18:22 PM »

Working 15 hours a day locked in a enclosed warehouse when you were 8 years old isn't slavery?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 02:18:14 AM »

Working 15 hours a day locked in a enclosed warehouse when you were 8 years old isn't slavery?

There is a difference between someone owning you and someone not owning you...I'm not saying that working conditions were right at that time, but I wouldn't call it slavery or equal it with that.

You feel like you are owned when you have no right to leave your job whatsoever and signs around your town are posted up saying "Irish need not apply". The Irish were treated like dogs, believe my my ancestors went through it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 09:34:05 AM »

Of course, Indiana is like two seperate states. Thousands of Indianans fought for the south during the war.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 03:47:38 PM »

How is Alaska a high income state?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 09:14:04 PM »

I don't know much about Alaska, never been, but I can't imagine why the income would be so high. From what I understand that government pays people to live there.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 09:32:26 PM »

My cousin went on a mission for his church and when he got back he told me the people are really really weird up there.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies