GOP congessman wonders if Obama will attack "Africa"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:16:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP congessman wonders if Obama will attack "Africa"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP congessman wonders if Obama will attack "Africa"  (Read 850 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2011, 09:53:01 AM »

We may have found another vice-presidential hopeful.

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/gop-reps-doubt-libya-mission-casey-mostly-backs-it-1.1125447#ixzz1I8eDf5tc

Rep. Tom Marino, R-10, Lycoming Twp., said he supports Mr. Gadhafi's removal but said Mr. Obama should have consulted Congress before acting. Instead, the president's action raised questions about whether he violated the constitutional provision that gives Congress the power to declare war, or the War Powers Act, Mr. Marino said.

"The bottom line is I wish the president would have told us, talked to Congress about what is the plan. Is there a plan? Is the mission to take Gadhafi out?" Mr. Marino asked. "I think he's fumbling through this."

Mr. Marino, a member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said he hopes to ask questions of administration officials at a committee hearing today. He questioned whether humanitarian reasons are good enough for intervention.
"Where does it stop?" he said. "Do we go into Africa next? I don't want to sound callous or cold, but this could go on indefinitely around the world."

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »

Republican commandment #8: Thou shalt not outsmart thy lord Sarah Palin.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 10:02:45 AM »

Obama's too busy visiting all 57 states to attack Africa.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 10:07:48 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2011, 10:09:45 AM by Napoleon »

If so, we can just have our North Korean allies help us out.

I never understood why that one error of tongue is equated to the crazies' many errors of mind. Obama's probably made better gaffes than that if you really want to attack the President. I don't think you could find a single honest person who truly believes Obama doesn't know how many states there are.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 10:28:17 AM »

I think this is a bit unfair. Yes, Libya is on the continent of Africa, but it's thought of as part of the Arab world, and it's completely reasonable to assume he was wondering if this means we'll need to intervene in Cote d'Ivoire or other places in sub-Saharan Africa. Lots of people are asking "Why Libya?"
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »

Unlike Mr. 57 states, this statement is actually logistically and geographically correct....
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 10:31:42 AM »

I think this is a bit unfair. Yes, Libya is on the continent of Africa, but it's thought of as part of the Arab world, and it's completely reasonable to assume he was wondering if this means we'll need to intervene in Cote d'Ivoire or other places in sub-Saharan Africa. Lots of people are asking "Why Libya?"

If they knew any better, don't you think they'd also know enough not to refer to Africa in a context that makes it look like they sure as hell don't know better?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 10:44:35 AM »

If they knew any better, don't you think they'd also know enough not to refer to Africa in a context that makes it look like they sure as hell don't know better?

I find it easy to think he misspoke or used shorthand until further evidence emerges that he's truly ignorant about Africa. To me, this comment indicates he maybe knows more than the average person, not less. I think it's like pouncing on Obama for the 57 states comment--there is an explanation that gives him the benefit of the doubt and I find it plausible. God knows I say stupid things I don't mean all the time because speaking is hard.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 09:57:15 PM »

the census asks if you are African Amercian or Arab American. it's doesn't say "yes we know the majority of Arabs in the world live in Africa, but we mean sub-Saharan-African"
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »

Hilarious that some are trying to change geography to defend Marino's mistake and bringing up an old comment by the President that has nothing to do with the statement.

Bottom line, Marino was wrong. His words were "Do we go into Africa next?" which was clearly incorrect. Culturally and politically, Libya is closer to the Middle East, but it is still in Africa. No amount of spin will change that and it's crazy to to even argue about something that is fact.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 10:58:13 PM »

Africa was named after the Libyan region, which was known as Ifrika.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 11:07:19 PM »

Africa was named after the Libyan region, which was known as Ifrika.
To the ancient Greeks and Romans, Libya was the name given to the whole of Africa west of the Nile.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 11:47:34 PM »

You're half right.

51. District of Columbia
52. Puerto Rico
53. Afghanistan
54. Iraq
55. Libya

We're on our way.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 12:09:42 AM »

I find the new-found skepticism and hostility to military action from many Republicans now hilarious and transparent. Most of these people will literally oppose anything Obama does.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 03:22:40 AM »

You're half right.

51. District of Columbia
52. Puerto Rico
53. Afghanistan
54. Iraq
55. Libya
56. Kenya
57. Indonesia

How about them apples?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: