PC Party, 1993 - Disaster Averted (Canada)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:41:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  PC Party, 1993 - Disaster Averted (Canada)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: PC Party, 1993 - Disaster Averted (Canada)  (Read 12063 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 09:05:41 PM »

Throughout 2002 Clark attempted to get an agreement between the Premiers on some kind of Senate Reform. Sadly, for Clark, not much agreement was to be had. Clark was able to secure a very small concession, at least compared to his original ideas.

The Senate would retain 4 regions, but, the 4th or Western region, would now be limited to BC and Alberta. The Prime Minister's ability to appoint 2 extra Senators per region would be eliminated. BC and Alberta would now have 12 senators a piece. This was as far as Jean Charest was willing to bend. Provinces would also submit a list of names to the Prime Minister, but they would chose the named and method of picking said names. The Prime Minister however would not be required to fill any vacancies in any time-frame - Clark demanded this so that he would not be forced to appoint any Separatist Senators.

NDP Premiers of Saskatchewan and Manitoba refused to submit any lists. The Tory Premiers of Ontario, NS, NB, and PEI, all committed to hold senate Elections.... sometime in the future, but for now, would submit lists themselves. Ontario allowed it's list to be examined by the Legislature, and thus submitted a list that included members of the opposition. BC submitted a list drawn up by the Premier and approved by a majority of the Legislature. Newfoundland, meanwhile, "never got around to it" - due in part to their opposition to the plan in the first place.

Alberta held a real Senate Election, and elected some Reformers and PC members.

By the time it was all said and done, there were 78 PC members, 24 Liberals, and 10 "others" - which included 8 Independents and 2 Reformers, with a few vacancies remaining.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 09:06:33 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2011, 09:17:42 AM by Nathan »

Wait...so if the fourth region is limited to BC and Alberta, where are the Saskatchewan and Manitoba senators coming from exactly? Am I misinterpreting the way the regions work?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 09:21:59 AM »

Yes. Lemme do a graphic since I love doing that! Cheesy
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 09:31:47 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2011, 09:33:55 AM by TheNewTeddy (TEDDY) »

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 11:43:38 PM »

Oh, I see! I simply didn't realize that there were non-regional Senators (I thought that Newfoundland and Labrador were in the Maritime region and the Arctic was in the Western region). Thank you for correcting my understanding.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 01:25:17 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2012, 01:27:51 AM by TheNewTeddy (TEDDY) »

Its my RL proposal for Senate Reform, and listening to many of the things Clark has said in the past, I think he'd be alright with the idea.

And this story will continue, at the latest, when "eternal greatness" is done.

FTR: I see myself; and, I see my ideal PM, as some sort of combo of Joe Clark and Paul Martin. Thus these stories are bringing me great joy.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 11:32:50 PM »

2003 saw a great economy and the government becoming more and more popular.

The NDP held a leadership race in which Jack Layton got elected. Layton faced a tough challenge as Copps was moving to take the left.

The year started with the PC Party at 40%, and ended with the PC Party at 40%. The Liberals went from 33% to 27%, while the NDP climbed from 13% to 18%. Reform was stable.

The Bloc meanwhile was in deep trouble. The party was a mess and only getting worse.

The big issue of the year however was Iraq...
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 11:53:53 PM »

March 19 2003

The US, with a small number of allies, including Canada, invaded Iraq. The war in Iraq was popular at the beginning, but, would lose it's appeal over time. Spending on the military would increase significantly, and a strong recruitment campaign would be somewhat successful.

Clark would be a huge supporter of the US and the War. Copps meanwhile placed herself clearly against the war.

This caused support for the Liberals to increase, especially against the NDP. Meanwhile, Reform  lost some support due to the PC's increased strength on these issues.

By the time of the 2004 election, a clear race had started to form for the government, with the Tories at 45% and the Liberals at 35%
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 06:47:42 AM »

PC - 139
Lib - 117
NDP - 26
Ref - 24
BQ - 2
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 07:02:42 AM »

Both the Bloc and Reform accepted the election was a "loss". Copps and the Liberals, while accepting they did not win, declared that Clark lost his majority. The Tories were willing to take the victory, but accepted that they had lost their majority. Clark committed to working with the opposition.

The NDP however, declared not just a victory, but a huge victory. They did, after all, win a seat in Quebec. This however was a tough sell. The Liberals pointed out how close the NDP came to second in Laurier during the last general election. The Tories pointed out that without the Bloc, the NDP winning that one riding, was natural. The Bloc meanwhile, said that it was Bloc voters that supported the NDP, and they'd just as easily go back to the Bloc given the right circumstances. Given that the NDP was not close to winning another seat, the media went along with this, and the NDP's seat in Quebec went by as natural, and not a big deal.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2012, 08:24:03 AM »

The Period after the 2004 election was marked with some desire for change. As the Iraq War drew on, there became more of a desire to get rid of Joe Clark and find a new PM. Clark, however, resisted these ideas.

Clark tried to use the economy to his advantage, and turned to the left in trying to spend his way back into popularity. This strategy, however, failed.

Finally, in 2006, a non-confidence motion passed, and the country was plunged into an election.

The Election became polarized over the war issue. Copps committing to withdraw troops from Iraq, and Clark fully backing them.

Despite an attempt of Clark to form a coalition with the NDP, the Liberals were able to form a government.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2012, 07:24:41 AM »

The Liberals were able to retain government throughout 2006 and 2007, as well as part of 2008 by using the NDP and other parties to support their ideas when needed. Prime Minister Copps pulled troops out of Iraq, and eventually, Afghanistan as well. Copps would govern very much from the left and cancelled many planned future tax cuts in exchange for increased spending. The NDP used this opportunity to get parts of their platform adopted.

Reform went though some changes. The party slowly shed more of its conservatism in exchange for more populism. While still to the right of the PC Party, Reform was now selling itself as a populist party. During a leadership convention, the party was "taken over" by Bill Vander Zalm. Initially unpopular in his own party, he would slowly build up confidence that he had become a Populist. Despite being a bit "unique" of a character, he became a strong voice for the populist right.

The PC Party had perhaps the most interesting change, electing a new leader...
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2012, 07:41:22 AM »

Skipping ahead a bit, to after the PC race...

In 2008, the country faced a recession, and the NDP began making certain demands. Copps would threaten an election, but the NDP would not back down. Rather than face another minority (which the polls suggested) and be 'forced' into a coalition with the NDP (something Layton said he wanted should there be an election) Copps sat down with Layton in October of 2008 and worked out a deal.

The NDP and Liberals would form a coalition government. The agreement would expire at the end of March of 2011 at which time there would be a federal election (scheduled thus for earlymid May)

Layton was invited to become DPM. The NDP additionally got the following portfolios: Treasury Board (as an assistant/deputy to the Finance minister) Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism, Health, Labour, and Environment, as well as a few Ministers of State. NDP ministers included the new MP for Laurier - Thomas Mulcair, Peter Stoffer, Charlie Angus, Lorne Nystrom, and Libby Davies.

Excluding the above mentioned PC Party, here is a quick who-is-who guide.

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2012, 08:20:45 AM »

Wait, what exactly are the seat totals for 2006?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2012, 10:12:05 AM »

L129
P114
N39
R24
B2

There was supposed to be a graphic but it has gone AWOL.

Also this:
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2012, 11:36:45 AM »
« Edited: January 11, 2012, 01:35:52 PM by TheNewTeddy (TEDDY) »

PROGRESSIVE CONSERVATIVE LEADERSHIP 2007

Given the success of the PC Party, holding government from 1984 to 1993, and 1997 to 2006, the race for the PC leadership was seen as a huge contest.

A number of Candidates were to offer, but a few stood head and shoulders above the competition. The large number of quality candidates was viewed by some as a problem, but by others as a great asset.

STEPHEN HARPER, member for Calgary West, AB. Former member of Cabinet (Foreign, Deputy PM, etc)
-
-
-
-

RALPH GOODALE, member for Wascana, SK. Former member of Cabinet (Finance, Health, Transport, etc)
-
-
-
-

JIM FLAHERTY, member for Oshawa-Whitby, ON. Former member of Cabinet (Finance)
-
-
-
-

TONY CLEMENT, member for Brampton West, ON. Former member of Cabinet (Treasury Board, Transport, Health, etc)
-
-
-
-

PETER MACKAY, member for Central Nova, NS. Former member of Cabinet (Labour, Industry, Defence, etc)
-
-
-
-

SCOTT BRISON, member for Kings-Hands, NS. Former member of Cabinet (Citizenship, Culture, Trade, etc)
-
-
-
-

DANNY WILLIAMS, Premier of Newfoundland. (Currently serving, refuses to resign while he runs, has support from NLPC party to do so)

Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »

INTERACTIVE (ending at the 12th (thurs) at noon)

Which candidates would you put in the top tier (at least 3) and which in the bottom (at least 3)
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2012, 01:08:44 PM »

I like the seating chart!

Also kind of interested that you shifted Harper from Calgary SW to SE. Any particular reason?

Harper, Brison, and Williams seem top-tier in terms of quality of candidates on paper, but I dislike Harper enough that my top tier will be Goodale, Brison, Williams. From what little I know of them Flaherty, Clement, and MacKay don't seem particularly inspiring.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2012, 01:35:16 PM »

I've been trying to get in contact with Mr. Silk (a friend from polsims past) for permission to use it as I see fit. He's never had a problem with me using his stuff before, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

As for Harper's switch, it actually should be Calgary West (I had mis-remembered) and it was the seat he held in 1993 IRL.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2012, 08:33:56 PM »

I'll need more input to stick to the absolute interactive. The candidates mentioned above will be adjusted based on the comments provided, but I can't guarantee that one, some, or any of the top tier candidates at the end.

Also, Mr. Silk approves of my use of the graphic, so expect to see a LOT more of it.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2012, 08:57:39 PM »

Note the method.

The Tories attempted to garner the most out of the media attention by holding a three-stage election.

First, would be a national mail-in primary of all members. This would elect 1,848 delegates, proportionally. This would be OMOV.

Second, electing 1,848 delegates, each riding will select 6 delegates. At this stage, it is possible to have uncommitted delegates. Provincial MLA's may run for these slots.

All Senators, MP's, immediate-past Candidates, and former MP's or Senators are granted ex-officio status, to a maximum of 616.

Finally, a convention will be held. On the first ballot, all the delegates are locked-in, while on successive ballots, it is wide open.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2012, 07:10:03 PM »

PRIMARY RESULTS

21.75%   Williams   402
17.05%   Brison   315
16.40%   MacKay   303
16.13%   Harper   298
14.66%   Flaherty   271
9.31%   Goodale   172
4.71%   Clement   87

The results were headline news. Williams is not bi-lingual and did not show great interest in learning French. The Tories were attacked for this. In addition, Quebec did not have very many PC members, and this skewed the results. Brison and MacKay were big winners on policy, and some commentators found it very odd that they'd lose to someone with a better "personality" in Williams.

Clement withdrew from the race after his poor showing and endorsed Flaherty.

INTERACTIVE: who do you think would do best in the delegate selection meetings?
note: you only have a few hours for this.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2012, 08:00:59 PM »

Given that the only person who has yet expressed interest is not online...

Atlantic
62 Williams
54 MacKay
52 Brison
2 Harper
22 Uncommitted

Quebec
150 Brison
124 MacKay
47 Harper
30 Flaherty
3 Williams
96 Uncommitted

Ontario
209 Flaherty
123 MacKay
99 Brison
81 Williams
55 Harper
14 Goodale
55 Uncommitted

West
199 Harper
122 Williams
79 MacKay
65 Brison
40 Flaherty
33 Goodale
32 Uncommitted

RIDING TOTALS
380 MacKay
366 Brison
303 Harper
279 Flaherty
268 Williams
47 Goodale
205 Uncommitted

TOTAL TOTALS
683 MacKay
681 Brison
670 Williams
601 Harper
550 Flaherty
219 Goodale
292 Uncommitted

Following his poor showing, Goodale decided to drop out and endorse Williams. His delegates however would not be forced to follow.

549 ex-officio delegates registered for the convention before the deadline.

683 MacKay
681 Brison
670 Williams
601 Harper
550 Flaherty
549 Ex-Officio
511 Uncommitted
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2012, 08:20:48 PM »

The convention would be chaotic. Picking the delegates from the primaries was a mess. Clearly it would not be possible to submit a closed list of 1848 names, so a "regional" system was set up, but this only sparked arguments about the division of delegates and regions themselves.

The first ballot would show this, as Williams complained that 1 out of every 10 of his committed delegates were AWOL.

FIRST BALLOT

957 MacKay
909 Brison
808 Williams
692 Harper
559 Flaherty

Flaherty is dropped and endorses Harper

SECOND BALLOT

1007 MacKay
998 Williams
969 Brison
942 Harper

Harper is dropped, and does not endorse.

1456 Williams
1341 MacKay
1105 Brison

Brison is dropped, and endorses MacKay, but is it enough to overtake Williams?

INTERACTIVE: is it? Results: tomorrow night.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2012, 09:38:31 PM »

MacKay really does strike me as somewhat uninspiring for whatever reason, but with Brison's endorsement I don't see how he loses this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies