Independents Suffering Buyer's Remorse on GOP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:02:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Independents Suffering Buyer's Remorse on GOP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Independents Suffering Buyer's Remorse on GOP  (Read 871 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2011, 07:24:40 PM »

It's only April 2011, but still it's encouraging:

Poll: ‘Fickle Independents’ down on GOP

They helped Republicans gain more than 60 seats in the U.S. House of Representatives last year, but “fickle independents” are turning against the GOP in a big way, according to a new Public Policy Polling survey.

In the poll, 46 percent of those surveyed said that if there were an election for Congress today they would vote Democratic, compared to only 41 percent who would vote Republican.

The poll asked:  “Do you think the Republicans are doing a better job than the Democrats did while in charge of the House of Representatives, a worse job, or is it about the same?”

Thirty-six percent said Republicans are doing better, but 43 percent answered that the GOP is doing a worse job than the Democrats.  Eleven percent answered “about the same.”

“The key to this strong movement back toward the Democrats right now is the same as the key to the strong movement away from the Democrats last year — fickle independents quickly growing unhappy with the party in power,” wrote Tom Jensen of the polling firm.

“Exit polls showed Independents supporting the GOP by a 19-point margin last year at 56-37.  Now only 30 percent of those voters think that the Republican-controlled House is moving things in the right direction, compared to 44 percent who think things were better with the Democrats.”
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 07:39:36 PM »

Independents are morons. How they manage to get out of bed, put their clothes on and feed themselves in the morning, I can't even imagine.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 07:48:12 PM »

Independents are morons. How they manage to get out of bed, put their clothes on and feed themselves in the morning, I can't even imagine.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 07:50:47 PM »

it's a registered voters poll
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 08:47:44 PM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 09:30:50 PM »

Clearly the trend is wrong.  Clearly Michele Bachmann will be crowned Queen of Sheba and Republicans will have super majorities cuz they represent the real 'murica and they gonna cut gramma off the dole and make her WORK!

[/hack]
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 09:34:07 PM »

It's only April 2011, but still it's encouraging:

Poll: ‘Fickle Independents’ down on GOP

They helped Republicans gain more than 60 seats in the U.S. House of Representatives last year, but “fickle independents” are turning against the GOP in a big way, according to a new Public Policy Polling survey.

In the poll, 46 percent of those surveyed said that if there were an election for Congress today they would vote Democratic, compared to only 41 percent who would vote Republican.

The poll asked:  “Do you think the Republicans are doing a better job than the Democrats did while in charge of the House of Representatives, a worse job, or is it about the same?”

Thirty-six percent said Republicans are doing better, but 43 percent answered that the GOP is doing a worse job than the Democrats.  Eleven percent answered “about the same.”

“The key to this strong movement back toward the Democrats right now is the same as the key to the strong movement away from the Democrats last year — fickle independents quickly growing unhappy with the party in power,” wrote Tom Jensen of the polling firm.

“Exit polls showed Independents supporting the GOP by a 19-point margin last year at 56-37.  Now only 30 percent of those voters think that the Republican-controlled House is moving things in the right direction, compared to 44 percent who think things were better with the Democrats.”

My only response - "you brought it on yourselves f***wits"
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 09:50:59 PM »

I suspect that lots of these people will be unhappy with whichever party is in power. Part of it is people being fundamentally unpleaseable, but a big part of it is also that both parties are utterly worthless.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 09:59:21 PM »

My only response - "you brought it on yourselves f***wits"
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 12:00:27 AM »

As PiT said, both parties suck horribly and I'll add that the people that vote for them are morons.  This isn't shocking at all.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 12:13:56 AM »

Where's the photo of Nancy Pelosi saying, "Miss me yet?" lol

But yeah I agree with the comment sentiment: You break it, you buy it. Or however it goes. Or maybe it's, You made your bed now you have to LIE in it. hahaha.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 12:18:14 AM »

Yawn. The reality is that Americans are very worried, and wonder if there are any antidotes realistically available that are worth much. The pre-existing bag of tricks just isn't working. What will work? We live in interesting times. The ultimate antidote of course is courage, and we await someone out there on the public square, to suffuse us a lot more of that, because right now we are running close to empty in that department.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »

Yawn. The reality is that Americans are very worried, and wonder if there are any antidotes realistically available that are worth much. The pre-existing bag of tricks just isn't working. What will work? We live in interesting times. The ultimate antidote of course is courage, and we await someone out there on the public square, to suffuse us a lot more of that, because right now we are running close to empty in that department.
The obvious solution is more tax cuts for you and dismantling of the social safety net for middleclass/poor... erm.. I mean.. lazy people. Wink
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 01:17:08 AM »

Yawn. The reality is that Americans are very worried, and wonder if there are any antidotes realistically available that are worth much.

We need to extinguish that word from our lexicon, it does not mean what most people think it does.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 01:21:44 AM »

Since it's a poll about 2012, that's hardly unreasonable
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 03:35:37 AM »

Wasn't the Democratic party more popular than he Republican party on election day? The problem is that being the slightly less sucky party isn't exactly the best way to get people to vote for you. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »

Indeed.  Given that about 2/3 of the public will vote for one party's candidates over the others no matter how badly the candidate equivocates or makes wrong decisions, it is encouraging that there's a fickle unaffiliated group that's willing to experiment, especially when the government is so ineffective and corrupt.  And just as that same group has suffered "buyers remorse" with their election of Barrack Obama, they are now regretting their votes for new house members.  These unattached voters are perhaps our best resource for preventing entrenched, long-term, one-party rule such as existed in Egypt and Mexico until recently. 

An even better resource would be the existence of multiple competitive parties, but that isn't likely to occur spontaneously given our current framework, so let's hope that this unaffiliated group continues to be the thorn in the paws of the two beastly parties. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies