Love and Marriage in a Royal Carriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:45:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Love and Marriage in a Royal Carriage
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Love and Marriage in a Royal Carriage  (Read 1446 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2011, 10:57:53 AM »

The POD for this timeline is that the Royal Marriages Act 1772 (12 Geo III c. 11) is not passed by Parliament.  The  first major ripple from this occurs late in 1786 when the marriage of the Prince of Wales to Maria Fitzherbert becomes known.  In OTL his marriage was considered void under the Royal Marriages Act, but in this timeline, his marriage to a Catholic leads to his being removed from the succession, with Prince Frederick being elevated to Prince of Wales in the spring of 1787.  Hence it will be Frederick and not George who will serve as the Regent for their father George III during his periods of madness and it will be King Frederick who inherits the crowns of the United Kingdom and Hanover in 1820 after George III finally passes away.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 01:12:11 PM »

Waiting for that Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 04:07:12 PM »

Their father had never forgiven his elder brother for forcing him to be effectively disowned, but King Frederick allowed the Earl of Chester to attend meetings of the privy council.  (It had been traditional for some centuries to invest the Prince of Wales with the title of Earl of Chester, but while George had been stripped of Wales, he had been left with Chester.)

[Note: I am sure one of our esteemed British members of this board will be able to tell me if George could have been stripped of just the princely title and not the earldom as I have stated here.  There is no precedent for me to follow.]

However, as much as Frederick favored George, he also tried to remain on good terms with his heir presumptive, his younger brother William, The Duke of Clarence and St Andrews and the next in line to the throne, George, The Earl of Munster.  What? You have never heard of a George, The Earl of Munster being in line to the throne?  Perhaps you know him better as George FitzClarence, the eldest of ten illegitimate children Prince William had by his longtime mistress, Dorothea Jordan.  With no Royal Marriages Act to prevent it, the young Duke of Clarence and St Andrews had been able to marry the woman he was smitten with, much to the displeasure of George III at the time.  In this timeline, the crowns of the United Kingdom and Hannover will not be separated in 1830 when King William IV dies.  Instead, they will pass to his son who will take the throne as King George IV.

Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 04:07:16 PM »

Their father had never forgiven his elder brother for forcing him to be effectively disowned, but King Frederick allowed the Earl of Chester to attend meetings of the privy council.  (It had been traditional for some centuries to invest the Prince of Wales with the title of Earl of Chester, but while George had been stripped of Wales, he had been left with Chester.)

[Note: I am sure one of our esteemed British members of this board will be able to tell me if George could have been stripped of just the princely title and not the earldom as I have stated here.  There is no precedent for me to follow.]

Interesting premise for a story. The Princely title of Wales could only have been removed from George by statute (although his departure from the line of succession would have been automatic under the Act of Succession) - George could have been left with the Earldom of Chester, however, I think it unlikely. Chester and Wales are simultaneous grants - I think it unlikely Parliament would separate them. Much more likely in my view is that George would be left with the Duchy of Cornwall - this has always automatically gone to the eldest son of the Monarch (at birth or on father's succession). Alternatively, all titles could be removed, and he would then be given another Ducal title by his father or brother. Hereford had historically been used and wasn't "occupied" at the time.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies