MA: Charities Regulation Commission (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:46:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Charities Regulation Commission (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Charities Regulation Commission (Failed)  (Read 1638 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:55:16 PM »
« edited: April 20, 2011, 10:25:43 PM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: Afleitch
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:15:28 PM »

I'm just telling you now I won't sign the bill with 2c in there. But I'm pretty sure that comes as no surprise to you. However I am not at all opposed to the bill having text stating that no charity that is also a religious organization or anything close, can deny it's services to someone of another religion (though there is nothing wrong with having a particular group to focus on with the same religion)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 02:15:27 AM »

Strongly oppose. Unless 2c is removed, I encourage the Governor to veto.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 06:19:34 PM »

Can you justify why the state should recognise churche's as charities?
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:11:21 PM »

I think it's pretty simple. If  a churches do charity work they're a charity, if they don't do charity work they're not a charity.

I see no reason why a church that puts up soup kitchen to feed the homeless, should be treated any differently than another organisation that does the same, while churches that don't have any charity programs shouldn't be treated as charities.

California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 07:27:12 PM »

Can you justify why the state should recognise churche's as charities?

See SC's answer. And there have been success reform programs that bring faith into the picture and have better results. Look at what W did in Texas for prisoners. Good can come out of it. If you don't believe in a God, that's fine with me, but faith can help and propell those who need help in their life. We shouldn't deny them this.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 07:29:20 PM »

Perhaps a definition of "charity" is in order, instead of just saying who's not a charity.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 06:24:06 AM »

I think it's pretty simple. If  a churches do charity work they're a charity, if they don't do charity work they're not a charity.

I see no reason why a church that puts up soup kitchen to feed the homeless, should be treated any differently than another organisation that does the same, while churches that don't have any charity programs shouldn't be treated as charities.

I don't disagree, but what should be treated as a charity; the church body itself or a seperate 'arm' of the church that does charitable things? Note that the bill states that a 'congregation' cannot be considered a charity. There is nothing to stop a St John's Catholic Church setting up a small volunteer charity affiliated with that runs a soup kitchen...but the Church itself cannot be a charity. It's for auditing and accountancy purposes.

Reading the bill would help guys Smiley

Perhaps a definition of "charity" is in order, instead of just saying who's not a charity.

That can be arranged.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 12:26:22 AM »

what is the intention behind 2b?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 11:29:39 AM »

Very straightforward; you cannot be a registered charity if you espouse ideals contrary to the constitution.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 11:38:26 AM »

Very straightforward; you cannot be a registered charity if you espouse ideals contrary to the constitution.

Isn't it dangerous to say "support" though? I mean I don't have a problem with the charity as long as they obey the constitution, but if they voice their displeasure with it with their freedom of speech, I don't see a problem with that.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 05:30:07 PM »

Isn't it dangerous to say "support" though? I mean I don't have a problem with the charity as long as they obey the constitution, but if they voice their displeasure with it with their freedom of speech, I don't see a problem with that.

But the issue is over charitable status (and associated perks) It should not be in the government's interest to give tax breaks to organisations supporting unconstitutional measures.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 09:33:01 PM »

But the issue is over charitable status (and associated perks) It should not be in the government's interest to give tax breaks to organisations supporting unconstitutional measures.

To be clear though, you're saying if someone from the potential charity states their disagreement with our constitution, they would exempt them from getting benefits to help them provide for others and turn around lives?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 03:51:49 PM »

To be clear though, you're saying if someone from the potential charity states their disagreement with our constitution, they would exempt them from getting benefits to help them provide for others and turn around lives?

Yes. I really am scratching my head here; do you think we should give benefits to charities that oppose the constitution? Say (Godwin's law/Seinfeld reference here) the local Nazi Group that believes in racial supremacy and the ending of democracy runs a soup kitchen; should we be able to give it regional funds to do so and recognise it as a charity?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 06:26:58 PM »

Afleitch, did you have an idea of what you wanted to define a charity as?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 06:36:04 PM »

Would there be any cost of running the comission or anything like that?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 11:09:26 AM »

What is the imputus behind this bill anyway? Why on earth do we need this, Inks? Has something in RL inspired this?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 06:47:58 AM »

I'm withdrawing this bill. I feel I have done my best to explain precisely why certain provisions were included in the bill but the support is clearly not there; charities shall remain unregulated! Huzzah!

I'm off to set one up and siphon the funds Wink
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 10:25:29 PM »

I'm withdrawing this bill. I feel I have done my best to explain precisely why certain provisions were included in the bill but the support is clearly not there; charities shall remain unregulated! Huzzah!

I'm off to set one up and siphon the funds Wink

For the record, I'm not against it, but if it's your wish, so be it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies