MA: Charities Regulation Commission (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:52:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Charities Regulation Commission (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Charities Regulation Commission (Failed)  (Read 1675 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 13, 2011, 11:15:28 PM »

I'm just telling you now I won't sign the bill with 2c in there. But I'm pretty sure that comes as no surprise to you. However I am not at all opposed to the bill having text stating that no charity that is also a religious organization or anything close, can deny it's services to someone of another religion (though there is nothing wrong with having a particular group to focus on with the same religion)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 07:27:12 PM »

Can you justify why the state should recognise churche's as charities?

See SC's answer. And there have been success reform programs that bring faith into the picture and have better results. Look at what W did in Texas for prisoners. Good can come out of it. If you don't believe in a God, that's fine with me, but faith can help and propell those who need help in their life. We shouldn't deny them this.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 11:38:26 AM »

Very straightforward; you cannot be a registered charity if you espouse ideals contrary to the constitution.

Isn't it dangerous to say "support" though? I mean I don't have a problem with the charity as long as they obey the constitution, but if they voice their displeasure with it with their freedom of speech, I don't see a problem with that.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 09:33:01 PM »

Very straightforward; you cannot be a registered charity if you espouse ideals contrary to the constitution.

Isn't it dangerous to say "support" though? I mean I don't have a problem with the charity as long as they obey the constitution, but if they voice their displeasure with it with their freedom of speech, I don't see a problem with that.

But the issue is over charitable status (and associated perks) It should not be in the government's interest to give tax breaks to organisations supporting unconstitutional measures.

To be clear though, you're saying if someone from the potential charity states their disagreement with our constitution, they would exempt them from getting benefits to help them provide for others and turn around lives?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies