A question about Jimmy Carter? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:36:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  A question about Jimmy Carter? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A question about Jimmy Carter?  (Read 5280 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: April 16, 2011, 03:35:43 PM »

He was too moderate for the Liberal Congress, and too Liberal for the other party. While I do support certain things he did like the sparking of the proxy-war in Afghanistan (despite the results we have nowadays because of it), I hold that he was generally too naive about the Soviet union, saying stuff like "It is American policy not to sell weapons to the Soviet Union" when it was blatantly obvious and it was by no means at or near the center of any foreign policy. He also went on TV in 1979 (I think) saying something like "I have learned more about the Soviet Union now than my ________ years as President", when he should have been aware all along.

Generally, I see him as your average Democrat working for what he believed good but it didn't turn out so well and he ended up fighting his own party as much as the opposition.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 07:08:11 PM »

I go on conservative boards, and yes, many Conservatives feel he was the worst President of the 20th century, if not the worst of "all time." According to some I've talked to, even though they hate LBJ or FDR, those men had some merits as leaders and did at least some things right; They say Carter on the other hand was a guy totally in over his head and was a complete failure.

While I don't geel Carter was an all out evil guy or anything, I generally agree with that assessment. While I respect FDR's leadership abilities, the same way I respect TR's, Carter in my opinion was too naive for the Presidency and, as you said "in over hid head". LBJ I can't say too many positive things about, though.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 02:03:32 PM »

Going to Hoover, heck, in 1932, FDR campaigned to Hoover's left. He touted the Democratic platform of reducing government spending, consolidating government agencies, and a balanced budget. Hoover campaigned on his social spending programs.

Going back to Carter, even Carter grew somewhat more hawkish with the first piece of the Reagan doctrine actually popping up with the 1979 Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan. I'm not sure if I would say to Ford's right, but had a man with Carter's record been trying to get the Democratic nomination today, he would be rejected as a Conservative/DLC/Evan Bayh/Joe Lieberman type.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 10:07:27 PM »

Going to Hoover, heck, in 1932, FDR campaigned to Hoover's left. He touted the Democratic platform of reducing government spending, consolidating government agencies, and a balanced budget. Hoover campaigned on his social spending programs.
Don't you mean that FDR campaigned to Hoover's right? Hoover campaigned on his social spending programs, and FDR masqueraded as a fiscal conservative before turning right around and continuing Hoover's spending programs on a grander scale once taking office.

Yeah, I meant "Hoover campaign to FDR's left. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies