A question about Jimmy Carter? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:02:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  A question about Jimmy Carter? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A question about Jimmy Carter?  (Read 5278 times)
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« on: September 03, 2011, 12:34:40 PM »

Carter was a moderate to conservative Democrat who probably had more in common with the Reagan Republicans than with Ted Kennedy, Frank Church, Tip O'Neill, and other prominent liberals in the Congress at the time. His closest equivalents in elected office today are the Blue Dog Democrats from the South and Midwest.

He had great potential because he went to the White House from being, essentially, nothing. He was elected as a down-to-Earth outsider who would go to Washington, D.C. and make a change come hell or high water. He didn't do that because he was naive about national politics. He thought that the United States Congress was like handling the Georgia state legislature. This made it extremely hard for him to pass his agenda. I read that he almost vetoed the energy bill because he only got about a third of what he really wanted.

I think that Republicans have a legitimate beef when it comes to Carter's foreign policy, but his domestic policy was basically Reagan-lite, as Hoover's was FDR-lite.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 08:21:34 PM »

Going to Hoover, heck, in 1932, FDR campaigned to Hoover's left. He touted the Democratic platform of reducing government spending, consolidating government agencies, and a balanced budget. Hoover campaigned on his social spending programs.
Don't you mean that FDR campaigned to Hoover's right? Hoover campaigned on his social spending programs, and FDR masqueraded as a fiscal conservative before turning right around and continuing Hoover's spending programs on a grander scale once taking office.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies