Northeast Gubernatorial Recall Election Thread (Announce candidacies here)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:43:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Gubernatorial Recall Election Thread (Announce candidacies here)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Northeast Gubernatorial Recall Election Thread (Announce candidacies here)  (Read 5038 times)
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2011, 02:46:59 PM »

I remember the glory days when I was governor...
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2011, 03:43:50 PM »

I remember the glory days when I was governor...

Ahh yes, I remember that. Not as good as the days when I was Governor. I was active though in my time. The Assembly was working full time, things were progressing for the region.. it was good times. Than I got kicked out because I was hated. Its a good thing though, because there have been nothing but good things since that time.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2011, 01:55:08 AM »

That was perhaps the most inspiring I've ever read, Mech. Well, except Everybody Poops but you get the idea.

No, in all actuality. I'm really trapped right now because I'm thinking about registering as an Independent because I'm so sick of all the parties. The fact, like Mechaman said, that some people would rather have the party's preferred candidate whom is lazy and has rejected his duties is pathetic. I've said it before and I'll say it again, our region is a mess because of our inactive Governor. People can get mad at me, the Populares can get mad at me. The fact is, whether the Governor is of my party or not, my region and it's wellbeing stands before my politics. But I digress.

though I hope you'll stay a Populare, I can certainly understand your frustration at the parties. a lot of us feel it at one time or another, but I think it's very healthy for the parties to have members and leadership who are willing to see their parties' failings.  I don't understand all the goings on of the NE, but from the perspective of this member of a neighboring region it sure looks like you'd be a great Governor. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2011, 08:23:47 AM »

Honestly, the Northeast hasn' t had any good governor since AndrewCT.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2011, 10:24:22 AM »

IIRC, Andrew was the first Governor Tongue
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2011, 10:58:51 AM »

What was wrong with Han?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2011, 11:17:46 AM »

What was wrong with Han?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2011, 01:22:10 PM »

I hope Jake can be a productive governor, but the Populare complacency is still alive and well in the region. Removing Jake from the Assembly will likely mean some inactive Populare who's only purpose is to rubber stamp their agenda will take his place. I'm torn.. Tongue
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2011, 02:04:39 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2011, 02:10:50 PM by cinyc »

I haven't been paying attention to regional politics recently and didn't even know this vote was occurring.  Can someone please explain why we recalled the governor without having any successor?  And why don't we have a Lt. Governor or CJO?

FYI, I'm not convinced that the Recall Amendment was actually adequately passed, which is one reason why I didn't put it in with the Constitution when updating the Wiki.  Whether it was depends on the number of Northeast residents as of October 1, 2007, the date it was voted on.  17 or 25 seems to be the magic number, depending on the meaning of the key constitutional phrase.  Anything above that and the Amendment never went into effect.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »

Jake Matthews is Lieutenant Governor and the Recall Amendment is in the Constitution.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2011, 03:47:48 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2011, 03:53:58 PM by cinyc »

I've concluded that the Recall Amendment was never validly passed and is not part of the New Northeast Constitution.  Specifically:

The Recall Amendment was put to a vote on October 1, 2007.  Assuming the Wiki has been properly updated, the amending formula of the New Northeast Constitution in effect on October 1, 2007 stated the following:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Recall Amendment passed by a vote of 9-3-1.  More than two-thirds of the members of the Legislative Assembly (which was all Northeast Citizens back in 2007 - See Article V) voted in favor of the amendment.  But a majority of all members of the Legislative Assembly didn't vote in the election, let alone in favor of the amendment.  According to the Wiki, the Northeast had 32 residents as of both July 7, 2007 and November 14, 2007.  A majority would be 17.  Only 13 Northeasterners voted in the election, 9 in favor.  Either way, that falls short of a majority.

If you continue to go forward with this recall process, I will sue.  Why don't we have a CJO?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2011, 03:52:11 PM »

Jake Matthews is Lieutenant Governor and the Recall Amendment is in the Constitution.

No it's not.  When I updated the Wiki to reflect older legislation, I specifically noted:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nobody has sued over whether the Recall Amendment is properly part of the Constitution because it never really became an issue.  It has now.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2011, 03:54:03 PM »

We don't have a CJO because our Governor is ing useless. We also have Assembly vacancies.  According to the Wiki, a special election should be announced.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2011, 04:01:09 PM »

We don't have a CJO because our Governor is ing useless. We also have Assembly vacancies.  According to the Wiki, a special election should be announced.

Well, if you want to remove the Governor, he or she should be impeached by a two-thirds vote of the Assembly, not by a recall that has no constitutional basis.   See Article IV, Section ix of the New Northeast Constitution.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2011, 04:01:39 PM »

We probably don't need to do this, but perhaps we should recommend a CJO?  I'd suggest cinyc, if he's willing.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2011, 04:04:09 PM »

Well, if you want to remove the Governor, he or she should be impeached by a two-thirds vote of the Assembly, not by a recall that has no constitutional basis.   See Article IV, Section ix of the New Northeast Constitution.

We came prepared for this. If the Governor will just do his job, none of this will be necessary.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2011, 04:15:41 PM »

We don't have a CJO because our Governor is ing useless. We also have Assembly vacancies.  According to the Wiki, a special election should be announced.

Well, if you want to remove the Governor, he or she should be impeached by a two-thirds vote of the Assembly, not by a recall that has no constitutional basis.   See Article IV, Section ix of the New Northeast Constitution.

We came prepared for this. If the Governor will just do his job, none of this will be necessary.

Look, I don't disagree that if the Governor has been totally absent, he should be removed from office.  But it should be done the correct way.  I do believe that the recall amendment was never properly passed, though.

We probably don't need to do this, but perhaps we should recommend a CJO?  I'd suggest cinyc, if he's willing.

I'd take that job, even though I forgot there was a regional election last weekend instead of this weekend.  I forgot that the first Friday of April was April 1.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2011, 04:32:02 PM »

Yes, there should be a special election to fill vacancies.  But we kept the Vacancy Filling Act deliberately vague on who should run the special elections.  It has to be run by the "appropriate official."  Normally, that's the CJO.  But based on prior precedent, the Governor or Lt. Governor could open the booth, too.  If Jake Mathews is Lt. Governor, he should open one today or next Friday, depending on when the vacancy occurred.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2011, 08:53:44 PM »

Just a note to say how pleased I am that there is actual discussion going on in the NE... just a pity it took this to bring it about.

This isn't over, and I urge everyone to hold to their nerve.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2011, 09:58:59 PM »

Just a note to say how pleased I am that there is actual discussion going on in the NE... just a pity it took this to bring it about.

This isn't over, and I urge everyone to hold to their nerve.
Agreed.
And Ghost White, if you just did your goddamn job in the first place Jake's socalled "coup" wouldn't be necessary.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2011, 10:00:33 PM »

He just needs to keep it up, he exists now. If he goes back to inactivity he will likely be impeached.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2011, 10:01:55 PM »

He just needs to keep it up, he exists now. If he goes back to inactivity he will likely be impeached.

Okay, but I just think you guys should replace his ungrateful ass with somebody more appropriate for the job next election, like Jake Matthews.
I am so goddamn tired of the Good Ole Boys Club thinking that they can just have their way with everybody, well you can't.  And if you keep on with this attitude you are in for a very rude awakening.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2011, 10:07:56 PM »

The people spoke. A majority voted to recall the inactive Governor. They may still have the office but at least they will be kept on their toes. Let's see if Ghostwhite can redeem himself.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2011, 01:11:00 AM »

Well, Ghost_white named me the new Northeast CJO, so if anyone wants to sue about anything, feel free to post a notice in my office thread on the regional government sub board and PM me.

As CJO, I will generally try to abstain from making prior comment on constitutional issues that might come before me.  I probably would have to recuse myself from deciding whether the recall election was valid, though, given my prior public comments on the subject and the fact since I was named CJO by the Governor who would be removed, there's a huge conflict there.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2011, 01:18:20 AM »

I think as long as you carry out your responsibilities according to the law as you interpret it...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies