The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:00:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 85
Author Topic: The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction  (Read 385434 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: February 04, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »

Romney 35% (+2)
Gingrich 24% (-1)
Santorum 16%
Paul 12% (+1)

Probably a measure of momentum.

NONE OF THE THINGS YOU SAY ACTUALLY MEAN THINGS.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #326 on: February 05, 2012, 01:23:48 AM »

The signal is clear: No more debating until Obama.

Since you like to pretend you speak for his campaign, I'm going to assume that you don't realize how much Romney's attitude pisses off those who don't support him.

Look, Romney is ultimately responsible for Romney's comeback. Go ask Rick Perry about having great advisers and the best of resources.

I know it pisses off a lot of people, Democrats included, that Mitt is now the presumptive nominee, but that's the case. O'Donnell will obviously advise him before the debates with Obama because that's the prudent thing to do: Get the best debate adviser in the nation to advise you before debates. Obviously it does not make sense to have the best debate adviser on your team when you are not going to debate again until late September/early October. I strongly suspect the scheduled debate for February is no longer going to happen, and thank goodness. We've had one too many GOP debates already. How many have we had: 20? People, even people who love politics like us, have seen enough of them.

In other words, use, abuse and throw away when not necessary, is your argument.  Nice to know that you have as much morals as your head, the wannabe Mormon-in-Chief.

I am sure O'Donnell was well compensated for his services, and will be well compensated in the future when the campaign brings him back on-board for the real debates (you know, the debates with Obama that Gingrich said he would refuse to participate in).

It seems to me the Romney campaign has decided there will be no more GOP debates, so it does not make sense to keep a debate adviser on-board indefinitely, especially if he is going to get more credit than he deserves. If it was all about O'Donnell, who is really a hired gun, Bachmann would be the nominee right now.

Let me just give you a bit of advice when you post.  It is against Mormon church doctrine to suck someone else's dick, so please stop trying.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #327 on: February 05, 2012, 07:03:44 AM »

I'm not concerned about the very poor, and neither are most Americans.  They give money to charities, in the hope that it helps the few who have encountered tragedy in their lives.  The rest?  Largely responsible for their own situation.

Americans are for lifting up the deserving and helping those who face difficulties.  People who suck at life?  They can drown.

There's a word for people like you. First syllable of 'country', in case you'd not guessed. I think in your case we can extend it somewhat; perhaps by adding 'obnoxious' in front of it. Perhaps things could be done with words like 'scum' and 'reprobate', and I suppose a case exists for the use of 'depraved'.

I didn't know c*nt is pronounced that way.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #328 on: February 05, 2012, 06:08:50 PM »

Alcon even got a good follow-up:

Romney 35% (+2)
Gingrich 24% (-1)
Santorum 16%
Paul 12% (+1)

Probably a measure of momentum.

NONE OF THE THINGS YOU SAY ACTUALLY MEAN THINGS.

Alcon, the rise in Romney's numbers is probably a reaction to his win in Florida, his momentum from winning that state.  This effect has been around since before you were born.

The concept of momentum has not been around since before I was born.  It was invented in 1991.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #329 on: February 05, 2012, 06:35:25 PM »

Hey, "the system," or perhaps more accurately the random walk emerging out of the penumbra of chaos theory, or whatever it was in NV seemed made to order for all of those perfervid Paulites from what I can tell.  Smiley

Put down the thesaurus and make a real point.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #330 on: February 05, 2012, 11:55:11 PM »

The anti-Mormon rhetoric sure is ugly. Is the left only good nowadays at being hateful towards religion, and successful people? You do realize this is the United States, not the Soviet Union, right? It's favorable to be religious and successful in America.

With this type of response, I have to conclude that you don't know anything about this country.

90% of America believes in some sort of God. Most people in America have ambition and want to be successful.

This is not complicated, Sam. Being religious, and most certainly respecting freedom of religion, is the norm in America. Striving to be successful is what America is all about. Hating religion and successful people is not normal outside of certain faculties on college campuses.

I hear Mitt Romney is looking for some platitudes to borrow.  Can you share?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #331 on: February 06, 2012, 12:58:45 AM »

I'm not concerned about the very poor, and neither are most Americans.  They give money to charities, in the hope that it helps the few who have encountered tragedy in their lives.  The rest?  Largely responsible for their own situation.

Americans are for lifting up the deserving and helping those who face difficulties.  People who suck at life?  They can drown.

There's a word for people like you. First syllable of 'country', in case you'd not guessed. I think in your case we can extend it somewhat; perhaps by adding 'obnoxious' in front of it. Perhaps things could be done with words like 'scum' and 'reprobate', and I suppose a case exists for the use of 'depraved'.

How did you think it was pronounced? I'm just wondering; I can't think of any other way that it could be pronounced.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #332 on: February 06, 2012, 01:08:16 AM »

koont?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #333 on: February 06, 2012, 04:36:52 AM »

Maybe we should ask the junior senator from Washington.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #334 on: February 06, 2012, 05:07:37 AM »

How did you think it was pronounced? I'm just wondering; I can't think of any other way that it could be pronounced.

Or maybe I'm pronouncing "country" wrong, who knows ? I'd say "cantri" (with the latin sound for "a") - or even "cawntri" with an almost inaudible w - and "cont".
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #335 on: February 06, 2012, 12:49:20 PM »

Or maybe I'm pronouncing "country" wrong, who knows ? I'd say "cantri" (with the latin sound for "a") - or even "cawntri" with an almost inaudible w - and "cont".

Yes, you're pronouncing "country" wrong.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #336 on: February 06, 2012, 12:50:36 PM »

Yes, the "o" is silent.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #337 on: February 06, 2012, 03:18:54 PM »

Lief is in great shape lately.

Did anyone notice more people smiling today?

Yeah, but I go to school with a lot of Giants fans.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #338 on: February 06, 2012, 06:06:45 PM »

I can see why the pronunciation of country would be confusing to a non-native English speaker, considering it's just one letter off from "county" which is pronounced exactly as spelled. I suspect now the silent o is in there specifically to avoid having that word appear as part of it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #339 on: February 11, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »

Read your last sentence again Link.  It's a personal attack, and a rather vicious one at that.  Attacks like that would get 10 points in my book. Oh, and it's "conscience" rather than "conscious" by the way.
platypeanArchcow

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -7.65

« Reply #340 on: February 11, 2012, 04:22:05 PM »

I can see why the pronunciation of country would be confusing to a non-native English speaker, considering it's just one letter off from "county" which is pronounced exactly as spelled. I suspect now the silent o is in there specifically to avoid having that word appear as part of it.

Eh, the issue here is that the vowel in "country" and that other word is not present in most other European languages (basically the only other major language that has it is Korean) and so different European accents would render it differently.  If Antonio learned how to pronounce "country" from Italians and the other word from French people, then that would account for the difference he gives.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #341 on: February 11, 2012, 04:41:40 PM »

Yeah, too bad it was Meeker that said that.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #342 on: February 11, 2012, 04:46:24 PM »

Yeah, too bad it was Meeker that said that.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #343 on: February 11, 2012, 04:52:20 PM »

Eh, the issue here is that the vowel in "country" and that other word is not present in most other European languages (basically the only other major language that has it is Korean) and so different European accents would render it differently.  If Antonio learned how to pronounce "country" from Italians and the other word from French people, then that would account for the difference he gives.
He pronounces "c**nt" wrong, not "country". There is a reason the IPA sign for the vowel is based on the letter A, you know - and it's that any non-English writer would take it to be a sort of A.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #344 on: February 11, 2012, 04:56:53 PM »

What's hiliarious is that you can say "c**nt" but "sh**t" is censored.  You can even change your username to c**nt.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #345 on: February 11, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »

What's hiliarious is that you can say "c**nt" but "sh**t" is censored.  You can even change your username to c**nt.
By all means do.
platypeanArchcow

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -7.65

« Reply #346 on: February 11, 2012, 05:06:48 PM »

He pronounces "c**nt" wrong, not "country". There is a reason the IPA sign for the vowel is based on the letter A, you know - and it's that any non-English writer would take it to be a sort of A.

French-speakers and Latin American Spanish-speakers (but not Spaniards) pretty much all pronounce it as /ɔ/, basically because their /a/ is far more fronted.  So no.  It's a question of whether you view position or roundedness as more salient.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #347 on: February 11, 2012, 05:10:17 PM »

But that's pronouncing it wrong. Smiley

(It is a quite similar sound, yet my German ear disambiguates one as an a and the other as an o. The same should happen to an Italian ear. Not so sure about a French one.)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #348 on: February 11, 2012, 06:27:44 PM »

While Meeker and I are technically different people, I will nonetheless accept my accolades.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #349 on: February 12, 2012, 12:19:49 AM »

Wait, how are you people pronouncing these words? The vowel sound is traditionally transcribed as /ʌ/, but in my English it's much closer to [ə], which can of course be represented by any of six letters.

This is making me wonder if I actually distinguish between /ʌ/ and /ə/. I don't think I've read anything about such a merger.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies