The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:23:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 85
Author Topic: The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction  (Read 385436 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: April 05, 2012, 05:34:09 PM »
« edited: April 05, 2012, 05:36:06 PM by Torie »

Understandably, I hope you never become a father; you don't seem to have what it takes to be one, or do you display anything remotely attractive to most intelligent women. The fact you want your child to live a miserable life because you chose to and place restrictions on him that are psychologically destructive provides an interesting insight into your own psyche.

This thread is becoming nothing but a litany of moderators abusing people from a position of complete immunity.

This is an interesting case, because the attack is entirely focused on the text of TJ, and to me given that text, I think the "immunized" mods' text becomes something that is close to just being objectively true. If you teach your hard wired gay kid that if he ever has sex with, and/or commits to another man, that he is a bad person, going to hell, and his parents will forever censure him, and that there is no escape (TJ didn't say he would withhold love, but how one can at once project love while being an angry Moses casting down thunderbolts upon one still dependent upon appeasing Moses), I think that is objectively child abuse. I am not sure that even TJ's priest would approve. Interesting question that.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #401 on: April 05, 2012, 05:36:35 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2012, 05:38:54 PM by Governor Napoleon »

TJ's priest might actually like his son to be taught not to disclose male on male sexual relations. If you know what I mean. Wink
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #402 on: April 05, 2012, 09:11:10 PM »

Understandably, I hope you never become a father; you don't seem to have what it takes to be one, or do you display anything remotely attractive to most intelligent women. The fact you want your child to live a miserable life because you chose to and place restrictions on him that are psychologically destructive provides an interesting insight into your own psyche.

This thread is becoming nothing but a litany of moderators abusing people from a position of complete immunity.

This is an interesting case, because the attack is entirely focused on the text of TJ, and to me given that text, I think the "immunized" mods' text becomes something that is close to just being objectively true. If you teach your hard wired gay kid that if he ever has sex with, and/or commits to another man, that he is a bad person, going to hell, and his parents will forever censure him, and that there is no escape (TJ didn't say he would withhold love, but how one can at once project love while being an angry Moses casting down thunderbolts upon one still dependent upon appeasing Moses), I think that is objectively child abuse. I am not sure that even TJ's priest would approve. Interesting question that.

The Catholic Church pretty much has the exact position TJ articulated. Gays are heavily encouraged to remain celibate for life.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #403 on: April 05, 2012, 09:18:52 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2012, 09:24:43 PM by Torie »

The Catholic Church pretty much has the exact position TJ articulated. Gays are heavily encouraged to remain celibate for life.

No, the issue is how to treat the gay child, who is not very close to the tipping point one way or the other, so it is clear that any attempt to try to make the case that a bit less pleasure and self actualization, is well worth a lot more God, backed by a rather harsh whip of coercion, is clearly a lost cause, because it is not about giving up a bit less pleasure/self actualization for more God, but rather about running a considerably more than trivial risk of consigning your son to a life that may end up with tragic consequences. This is not trivial stuff. I would hope devout Catholics of conscience think about this with some concentration, and try to acquire the data on the subject.

Sorry to highjack this thread, but this matter has sort of shocked my conscience. I just cannot image any decent person doing such a thing to persons dependent upon them, much less their own flesh and blood.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #404 on: April 05, 2012, 09:22:31 PM »

I think this is a good illustration of why 1/3 of people raised in the Catholic Church become ex-Catholics in the US.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #405 on: April 05, 2012, 09:33:44 PM »

Sorry to highjack this thread, but this matter has sort of shocked my conscience. I just cannot image any decent person doing such a thing to persons dependent upon them, much less their own flesh and blood.

Not letting them date somebody? My parents have done that to my brother multiple times and they still love him.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #406 on: April 05, 2012, 09:54:42 PM »

Not letting them date somebody? My parents have done that to my brother multiple times and they still love him.

You can't seriously not see the difference in magnitude here.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #407 on: April 05, 2012, 09:57:16 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2012, 10:02:33 PM by Torie »

You said a bit more than that (a lot more actually), including that you would ban your kid's partner from your house. And does this Draconian regime have an expiration date when your kid ceases to be a minor?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #408 on: April 05, 2012, 10:02:48 PM »

You said a bit more than that, including that you would ban your kid's partner from your house. Or does this regime just obtain while your kid is a minor?

I would have no recourse beyond that point other than to require my rules to be followed if the child remains living in my house. Once a child moves away I would not have any authority regardless. I would never cut-off my child or anything like that because it would serve no purpose other than alienation. In essence, I would have ~18 years to impart Catholic teachings on the child and then he will enter the world alone and must be able to make those decisions for himself because I would have no control anyway.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #409 on: April 05, 2012, 10:06:03 PM »

Trying to shove Catholic teachings down someone's throat is a great way to encourage rebellion and a complete dismissal of all of it as soon as they hit 18. Like I said before, we're talking about 1 in 3 people today raised Catholic who reject it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #410 on: April 05, 2012, 10:07:42 PM »

You said a bit more than that, including that you would ban your kid's partner from your house. Or does this regime just obtain while your kid is a minor?

I would have no recourse beyond that point other than to require my rules to be followed if the child remains living in my house. Once a child moves away I would not have any authority regardless. I would never cut-off my child or anything like that because it would serve no purpose other than alienation. In essence, I would have ~18 years to impart Catholic teachings on the child and then he will enter the world alone and must be able to make those decisions for himself because I would have no control anyway.

Well while legally under your care, you might do a lot of damage to your kid (not, not the house rules stuff (he can screw in other venues and hide it from you and no big deal, straights have that issue too), but all of that other very heavy stuff that you lay on him, assuming that he is pretty hard wired), and once he ceases to be dependent, would you still reject his partner, and ban him from your house?  And God help him if he is less supple intellectually than you, so he cannot successfully "compartmentalize," which might be a key survival strategy.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #411 on: April 05, 2012, 10:17:02 PM »

Well while legally under your care, you might do a lot of damage to your kid (not, not the house rules stuff (he can screw in other venues and hide it from you and no big deal, straights have that issue too), but all of that other very heavy stuff that you lay on him, assuming that he is pretty hard wired), and once he ceases to be dependent, would you still reject his partner, and ban him from your house?  And God help him if he is less supple intellectually than you, so he cannot successfully "compartmentalize," which might be a key survival strategy.

The major issue here that is absolutely critical to my attempt going well would be that it would require every ounce of subtlety I posses such in order to prevent the kid from committing suicide or rebelling or losing the will to continue living life.  Of course that would be horrible and in the case of suicide worse than homosexuality in itself. It would be very important to try and find a way to give the kid some self worth throughout the whole ordeal.

As far as the rest, I think we've gone about as far down the road into the land of hypothetical we can go...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #412 on: April 05, 2012, 10:35:17 PM »

So short of your thinking you are risking suicide, the hammer comes down, even if the kid is basically rendered dysfunctional, turns to drugs, finds it extremely hard to form any intimate relationships (a truly horrible fate really), etc.  Do I have that right, or am I off a bit?  I don't mean to hector you, but rather  want to understand better what you are saying; but so far, if you have a gay kid, I would be rather frightened for the kid. It kind of terrifies me actually, because when someone is smart and has a hammer, and uses it that way, the potential for real psychological damage I think is far greater.

To be really honest, the most most stressful thing for me is that I admire and respect you as a person (as you know), yet you seem to embrace something which as to the lengths you are willing to go, I find horrific. And you are so hard wired intellectually (and so tied to your particular leap of faith, and have so much invested), that the experience of human contact with your kid, and hormones, and love and all of that sort of stuff, might not be when push comes to shove, for you to just jettison it all. That I guess even more is what worries me.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #413 on: April 05, 2012, 11:13:22 PM »

Well... I guess I hadn't thought of drugs but that would another thing I would hope to try and prevent. If the child becomes dysfunctional and turns to drugs I would have also failed as a parent and failed to raise the kid in the practice of faith. I would hope to have a good relationship with my own child if nothing else, because absent that I would have again failed as a parent. There are so many ways to fail and so few to succeed!

The way the world is changing with regard to LGBT issues will make this more difficult perhaps than it would have been in any previous generation since most of society seems to have changed its mind over the last 10 years or so. The kid would need an awful lot of support to just make it through and perhaps would need some prodding to form friendships at all. But there is more to life than sex, something I would hope any child of mine would understand. One of the most important issues behind this dilemma (as you noted) is to still love the child. Now that's pretty easy to say sitting here on my computer and much more difficult in real life when I have an actual person sitting in front of me looking me in the eye.

I guess the best answer I can give is that I would not want my kid to have any of the problems you mention or enter a homosexual relationship.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #414 on: April 05, 2012, 11:15:51 PM »

Thank you TJ. Heaven forbid that any of this should transpire in your life (for both yourself and your son), but if it does, I hope you will remember this exchange. It was from my heart. Best.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #415 on: April 05, 2012, 11:19:45 PM »

Thank you TJ. Heaven forbid that any of this should transpire in your life (for both yourself and your son), but if it does, I hope you will remember this exchange. It was from my heart. Best.

Thank you Torie. I appreciate the constructive criticism and mature conversation about a topic that is rather contraversial.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #416 on: April 06, 2012, 10:21:13 AM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #417 on: April 07, 2012, 04:23:14 PM »

I would not be surprised if gayness gets more popular over time. In fact, I suspect it is based on my anecdotal experience.

What exactly does this have to do with making men dysfunctional? The only thing you've noticed is gay people being more open about it - this is primarily because society has become more tolerant of homosexuality. The actual amount of homosexuals has not really increased.

That is another theory.

It's a better one that yours considering it's actually backed by science.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #418 on: April 07, 2012, 05:12:19 PM »

Well Pubs are anti science px, so all the dots connect. Now if I could just find a gay census ...
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #419 on: April 08, 2012, 01:00:29 PM »

Sorry, but Obama is not going to paint Romney as some sort of woman-hating social conservative. If Team Obama thinks it is going to be that easy, I feel sorry for them. They have no idea what is in store for them. Axelrod is poised to go from hero to zero, especially if he doubles-down on this populist garbage. Maybe Axelrod can cry into his beer with Shrum next year?

Of course, you're right. Romney can't be a woman-hating social conservative when he doesn't actually believe in a thing.

Biased, unbalanced, inaccurate reporting by a biased media outlet.

It's an editorial.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #420 on: April 09, 2012, 11:51:13 AM »

Simple but works better as a response to what it's a response to than anything else could:

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #421 on: April 09, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »

To: Poor Black Muslim Vegan Socialist Lesbians
STFU. We're still majority on this planet.

Serious question : do you get $1 for every retarded post you make ? Because otherwise I don't get it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #422 on: April 11, 2012, 12:50:48 PM »

I disagree with a lot of his opinions, but I can understand where they come from given his experiences and background. And given that I can't really find them repulsive. He seems to be a reasonably tolerant person doing his best to engage in civil discourse and he provides a different perspective than many others on here.

You know, I really have a feeling you wouldn't be feeling that way if I said some of the things he did...

Such as?

You're way more aggressive than he is towards those who disagree with you. And your inability to grasp others' perspectives on most issues is often quite mind-boggling.

I'm thinking of the things he's said about women. If I was ever posting stuff that misogynistic  you'd be calling for my banning.

I don't call for bans of people just because they disagree with me.

What has he said about women that is so misogynistic? Showing desire for women is not misogynistic, for the record. You still seem to be under the misconception that I'm some kind of prude when it comes to that, but disliking sexual abuse and exploitation of poor women is not the same as disliking, you know, normal sexual relationships.

If you're a mod, you can read his deleted posts, right? Also I think he defended Herman Cain during that whole thing, and not with a "it's probably made up" but with "Well she was probably asking for it anyway" type of stuff.

And if that's the case then why are you so after me when I've never engaged in sexual abuse or exploited poor women?

I don't think I'm "after you." But you're always going on about how awesome prostitution is and I find that rather disgusting.

Please provide specific examples if you have any. When it comes to Cain, do you mean that he posted something like this (?):

Maybe if an actual one would come out instead of a lying attention whore bought off by Romney's camp.

Because I'd be inclined to agree that seems a bit misogynistic, yes.

I'm not going to go through Clarence's posting history over this. It isn't that easy to do either. Besides, when it comes to cultural attitudes I have more sympathy for someone who comes from another generation. People who were brought up on sexism have more of an excuse than people who weren't.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #423 on: April 11, 2012, 02:41:38 PM »

To: Poor Black Muslim Vegan Socialist Lesbians
STFU. We're still majority on this planet.

Serious question : do you get $1 for every retarded post you make ? Because otherwise I don't get it.

First of my posts to be sulfurmined ! Yay ! Cheesy
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #424 on: April 11, 2012, 06:36:03 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies