The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:32:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction  (Read 385379 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: August 25, 2011, 05:46:09 AM »

Arguing in the sulfur mine is slightly better than arguing in the goldmine.  Still, take it outside/to PMs. 

Or make it witty/gratuitously offensive.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Is that offensive enough?
No, that is the plain truth.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 09:26:21 AM »

I read it and honestly, for wormy's standards didn't find it that stupid.

Not saying a lot, of course.
It has accurate parts, and parts too dumb to not destroy the value of the remainder.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 08:31:05 AM »

Thought he always lived in Bellevue? Little slice of postindustrial hell near Cincinnati?
Just across from Cincinnati. Bellevue's municipal area is tiny and it thus has only 6000 people, but it's fairly deep in a metro area (and it's not hellish - you want that, you're looking for Newport and the older sections of Covington, which also includes exurban territory.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 01:05:51 PM »

"Heroic gaffe." I like the term.

Is there any doubt this guy is Einzige?
Kshhh.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 04:52:20 PM »

I can see why the pronunciation of country would be confusing to a non-native English speaker, considering it's just one letter off from "county" which is pronounced exactly as spelled. I suspect now the silent o is in there specifically to avoid having that word appear as part of it.

Eh, the issue here is that the vowel in "country" and that other word is not present in most other European languages (basically the only other major language that has it is Korean) and so different European accents would render it differently.  If Antonio learned how to pronounce "country" from Italians and the other word from French people, then that would account for the difference he gives.
He pronounces "c**nt" wrong, not "country". There is a reason the IPA sign for the vowel is based on the letter A, you know - and it's that any non-English writer would take it to be a sort of A.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »

What's hiliarious is that you can say "c**nt" but "sh**t" is censored.  You can even change your username to c**nt.
By all means do.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 05:10:17 PM »

But that's pronouncing it wrong. Smiley

(It is a quite similar sound, yet my German ear disambiguates one as an a and the other as an o. The same should happen to an Italian ear. Not so sure about a French one.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 02:06:51 PM »

'Taxed to Death' just seems to have a more relative meaning today. go figure...

Yeah, Americans are oppressed to death by taxes.  You should live in another country where even middle-class people pay far higher provincial and consumption taxes, and still live a decent life in exchange for the benefits they get in return, and see what you think then.

Would that be the one that's debt free, open borders and they're own military defending that decent life? It can't be the one(s) that just where promised another bail out today.

While I applaud your sliding into coherence (software update?), I must say I liked you better when it was actually impossible to understand what you were actually saying.

Criminally easy target, of course. But beautifully done.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »

Al's post doesn't even make sense. Why are you not allowed to support the Palestinian cause and oppose circumcision at the same time?
You are, by the same token by which you're allowed to mutter incoherently to yourself in subway stations.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 03:53:04 AM »

Beautiful.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 06:49:49 AM »

Stop trolling.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 08:54:35 AM »

I was just commenting on your signature!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 01:33:31 PM »

Dumping on Shakespeare should not be protected by the First Amendment. I consider that akin to treason - worse because it disrespects the English language (which he more than anyone else in its modern form gave birth to), rather than a mere political entity.

He was also gratuitous and whiny (setting myself up for something, i get it) and is placed on a pedestal for being the inventor of the cliche as well as the master of unoriginality before it was original. Essentially, he was the world's first bullsh*tter and is treated like a God for it.

You need to read Shakespeare when you become an adult. That is one of the most ludicrous things I have ever read. Sure some of what Shakespeare wrote are cliches - cliches that he invented, and are still used because they are so good.  No rage hath a women scorned, and oh the tangled webs we weave intending to deceive; all the world's a stage, but neither a borrower or a lender be for he has a lean and hungry look. Off damn spot!

With a mature mind, start with King Lear. And try reading the plays out loud with friends. We do that in my clan.
In all fairness, as with anybody who wrote that much (which is why you fairly judge all such people by their best works, and we seem to all agree they're the Tragedies - Macbeth, King Lear, Hamlet, I'd add Romeo and Juliet), quite a few of Shakespeare's plays actually do suck. Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 02:47:34 PM »

Never read Twelfth Night, so can't judge.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 02:11:56 PM »

What are you, twelve? Moronic opinions that are factually wrong to the point of absurdity do not deserve to be treated with anything other than abuse.
Stop insulting 12 year olds Al. 12 year olds are kinda cute. Sad
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 01:25:17 PM »

Who'd put an apple in the fridge? Huh
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 02:29:55 PM »

Since it's Bushie, there's a good chance that the "apple" he'd get would be pre-cored and sliced for "convenience" at the store.
I'd still not put it in the fridge.

Though I'd eat it pretty fast. At least they're leaving the skins on.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 09:33:36 AM »

I couldn't resist. It's not to be taken entirely literally, of course.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 10:21:46 AM »

Does Ernest realize this isn't a thread to dissect what's put in here?  Roll Eyes
Unlike you, he's not older than the dirt he stands on...
Actually, he is. Torie and Grumps and Clarence are about the only things in the known universe to be even older than Ernest.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 12:34:28 PM »

They're not the same thing, you know. -_- (And the distinction is quite relevant: An actual sales tax was way less bureaucratic - VAT basically forces any private business to become an outsourced IRS franchise on the side - and otoh was one of the most market-distorting things ever tried in the modern West; the huge trusts of the first half of the 20th century were largely caused by the fact we had sales taxes then, which means companies have a strong incentive to buy nothing, outsource nothing, and keep the entire production process of everything they deal in within the company. This had positive and negative side effects...

The one advantage of a sales or VAT tax as a main source of government revenue, of course, is that it's not nearly as easy to evade.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 12:48:35 PM »

Raising VAT to make up for the decline in revenues from income tax thanks to all the old loopholes being torn open to where, to higher earners, the income tax code looks like a fishnet stocking (and lowering the topmost brackets), without even fixing the gaps in VAT coverage that we've got, WAS the most regressive policy option to have been available to 80s-2010s governments in Europe. That's where that talking point comes from.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 02:16:11 PM »

Except that there's no reason to believe that Obamacare is intended as any kind of stepping stone.
Not towards a system of socialized or fairly priced medicine, no. But then most other western countries have nothing of the kind either.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies