Ford posts strong first-quarter earnings of $2.6B (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:26:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Ford posts strong first-quarter earnings of $2.6B (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ford posts strong first-quarter earnings of $2.6B  (Read 1639 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: April 26, 2011, 05:51:25 PM »

I'll just miss Mercury for the large, heavy-duty, reasonably priced cars - namely the Grand Marquis.  In point of fact Ford might as well close down as far as I'm concerned when they cancel the last true full-sized car in America.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 03:02:54 AM »

I'll just miss Mercury for the large, heavy-duty, reasonably priced cars - namely the Grand Marquis.  In point of fact Ford might as well close down as far as I'm concerned when they cancel the last true full-sized car in America.

You're so melodramatic sometimes.  The Crown Vics and Grand Marcs look like undrivable beasts.  Regardless, Ford will still produce Lincolns, so those boats will be on the road.

Have you ever driven a proper car?  They're very, very easy to drive.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 11:47:12 AM »

Strange. Who buys these things? Outside of the trucks, I very rarely see them on the road.

I should think a state like Tennessee would be one that you'd see a fair number of domestic cars - I know I still do see quite a few in Missouri on the rare occasions I visit there (though I have to admit I can hardly recognize the cars anymore, or tell the foreign ones from the domestic imitators).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:01:24 PM »

The police I've talked to love the Crown Vic because they claim the thing can take a huge beating and keep on rolling.

Yes, obviously traditional full-frame V-8 rear-wheel drive cars are superior to what is built today.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 10:54:18 AM »

...the last decade..., with improved durability of all cars...

Myth there.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 04:10:18 PM »

...the last decade..., with improved durability of all cars...

Myth there.

Not at all. Cars last nearly forever today as long as you take care of them. There was a Toyota commerical when I was a kid, with pics of toyotas running over 100,000 and 200,000 miles. And that was impressive. You'd never have that ad today because everybody's car lasts that long. A car with 100,000 can still sell  for quite a bit of money becuase they last so long. Especially true for Japanese cars.

All sorts of old GM full sized cars routinely went 300,000 miles in the 70s and 80s. 

Cars like these were easy 300,000 mile 20-30 year cars, and incredibly cheap to fix:

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies