Question to religious types (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:25:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Question to religious types (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question to religious types  (Read 4125 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« on: April 26, 2011, 07:22:34 PM »

As a former atheist, neither of those scenarios bothers me in the least bit. Then again, my faith isn't primarily built on the concept of 'religious experiences', unlike some on this forum. I have had experiences that I might regard as genuinely religious if I so chose (which I do), but they are inconsequential to my decision to believe.

Regardless, I generally don't let other people's experiences threaten my own self--I'm not that insecure--but, if someone has a genuine religious experience that 'contradicts' (Huh) my own beliefs, I tend to view it as an issue of interpretation and application rather than of fundamental substance. I'm of the one-God-many-faces (anchored by a fundamental reality and mandate) school of thought on the matter, so what may be a contradiction for jmfcst might not be a contradiction for me. I'm sure I'm a heathen for saying that. Tongue

Also, I don't believe that religious experiences happen to everyone, or at least that they occur at vastly different frequencies between people. Furthermore, what actually qualifies as a genuine religious experience greatly varies from person to person. What I might consider to be a spiritual experience, another might miss or interpret differently. I don't see this as an act of cognitive dissonance.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies