Osama bin Laden dead (Official)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:15:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Osama bin Laden dead (Official)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21
Author Topic: Osama bin Laden dead (Official)  (Read 40057 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 01, 2011, 11:35:36 PM »

Enough focusing on me in this thread.  This thread is entitled "Osama Bin Laden dead" not "Attack BushOk for his religious beliefs thread" and not the update thread.  Let's keep the subject on Osama Bin Laden.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #201 on: May 01, 2011, 11:36:39 PM »

the ? now becomes what to do with pakistan...the US couldn't even trust them enough to inform them...except the US to be shown the door
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #202 on: May 01, 2011, 11:36:51 PM »

Enough focusing on me in this thread.  This thread is entitled "Osama Bin Laden dead" not "Attack BushOk for his religious beliefs thread" and not the update thread.  Let's keep the subject on Osama Bin Laden.

Stop responding to them, then.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #203 on: May 01, 2011, 11:37:21 PM »

great day for US though
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #204 on: May 01, 2011, 11:38:24 PM »

obama's rating will probably go to between 60-70...if that

I'm thinking more like 70-80%... kind of hard to say at this point though.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #205 on: May 01, 2011, 11:39:36 PM »

Well I really hate it when people use patriotism as a licence to kill. Our people? you kidding me? The only thing that makes us American is us just saying we are. nothing else. I find is dishonest. It makes me want to vomit when he pulls a card like that. Be honest and keep the facts clean. And stop brainwashing us into thinking we are one when we dont even know half of the people living in America. yuck!

What's the point of having a country then?  Or the point of unity?  Or of patriotism all in of itself?
there is a point. But it is merely to make social connections. But it should never be used to end someones life and to make to seem that is ok. That makes me mad. A life is a life, and to make us think that because we are 'Americans' we have to right to kill someone despite what they have done, and are 'defending our people' is crap. There is no need to lie. If you are going to kill someone it should be because he has killed many people. Not because he killed Americans. Had they not been Americans obama would not give a sh**t.

And which one do you think matters more to the Americans?  That he killed Americans or that he killed people?  As you said, we do not know half the country itself, but I think it is safe to say that more than half care about the death of Americans than the death of people as a whole.
I disagree. I care far more when patriotism is out of the question. Honestly, i care more about people dying period. Not Americans. And it is rather low to party over someone dying! no matter what it is just rude. If justice is served already there is not need to dance about in the streets. Partying makes the theory of justice just dissolve away. There is no justice. Man i despise people right now.
I can appreciate where your coming from. I don't like to see people jubiliant over anyone's death, but really it is understandable, when you consider how he did set out to kill Americans, so Osama made himself the enemy of all Americans.  He has been the focus of people's hurt over the attacks on 9/11 and fears of another attack, so this feels like a relief, though I don't know how much it will make people safer. I do hope no innocent people died in the attack, but sadly it's likely someone did.

Then which one matters more to Americans through human psychology?  He presented it in the most sensitive way possible to the American people.  To many, the ends justify the means.  So he chose that path.

The fact of the matter is that there is no real person who is ignorant or is stupid or idiotic or daft.  These are just labels for the different ways people think.  If we start labeling them that way, then we give them the reprieve to label us in that way - and it opens up hell.  And that cycle is more vicious than anything.

Final vocab realy is a silly topic to talk about at the moment.

Can you do me a favor and stop saying american, it just makes me want to vomit. Because I can tell you that it has upset most of the world, not just americans. So can americans for once just stop talking about it from a nationalistic point of view if other can? Drop American and then I will most likely agree with you.

Are we not debating the way that Obama delivered that statement?  That he stated that it was a nationalistic thing and not an international thing?  

I agree that it is a horrible thing that people use patriotism to condone such acts, and as such, I actually do not believe that these criminals should be killed - they should be captured and shown the error of their ways.

But as I was saying, Obama is the leader of a country, not the World.  And he is in all technicality, addressing a country, not the world.  To use a non-nationalistic POV would be ridiculous to make his message, because as a head of state of a country addressing his people, a nationalistic POV is the one people want.

It is the way of countries to do so, as such, it is the way of their people to do so.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #206 on: May 01, 2011, 11:39:36 PM »

One of my friends on facebook just chimed in saying that "somewhere Princess Catherine (official title - the Duchess of Cambridge) is saying "hey, this was supposed to be MY weekend!!!""
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #207 on: May 01, 2011, 11:40:07 PM »

Stop responding to them, then.

To be fair... he couldn't help himself but inject something totally unnecessary into the discussion... then act persecuted when someone calls him on it.

To everyone just ignore...
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #208 on: May 01, 2011, 11:40:15 PM »

One of my friends on facebook just chimed in saying that "somewhere Princess Catherine (official title - the Duchess of Cambridge) is saying "hey, this was supposed to be MY weekend!!!""

K. THX.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #209 on: May 01, 2011, 11:41:46 PM »

I'm taking the under on the over-under.  Obama doesn't break 55 from this.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #210 on: May 01, 2011, 11:42:12 PM »

"Death will come to you wherever you may be, even if you were in strong fortresses..."

The Holy Koran Nisa 4:78 (part)

I've been waiting nearly a decade to say that.  Smiley

I timed this post to hit when Obama said the word "dead."  It's there for history, a moment in time.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #211 on: May 01, 2011, 11:43:55 PM »

The scene in Times Squre is amazing.  FOX is the only one who has it on now - the rest are still on the White House.  I'm working on finding a picture.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #212 on: May 01, 2011, 11:45:01 PM »

I don't wish to celebrate anyone's death, but we made the best possible move here. There could have been no trial, it would have been absurd. Justice has been done, finally we can move on as a nation. That man has also done so much harm to Islam, a faith than I've very much come to respect. I couldn't be more glad see him gone and this era drawing to a close.

It ain't closing until we're finally out of Afghanistan and all the security everywhere is back to pre-911 levels.

In that case, it never ends. I just mean the whole open ended quest for Bin Laden and the existential War on Terror. Yeah they'll still use the term, but I feel it will lose its impact.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #213 on: May 01, 2011, 11:45:21 PM »

I'd be shocked by that.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #214 on: May 01, 2011, 11:45:29 PM »

Yep.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #215 on: May 01, 2011, 11:45:51 PM »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Osama-Bin-Laden-Compound-atlantic-128899003.html?x=0

someone mapped it.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #216 on: May 01, 2011, 11:46:50 PM »

FOX is reporting that 3 other people were also killed by U.S. forces.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #217 on: May 01, 2011, 11:47:47 PM »

Well I really hate it when people use patriotism as a licsence to kill. Our people? you kidding me? The onlt thing that makes us american is us just saying we are. nothing else. I find is dishonest. It makes me want to vomit when he pulls a card like that. Be honest and keep the facts clean. And stop brainwashing us into thinking we are one when we dont even know half of the peopl living in america. yuck!

What's the point of having a country then?  Or the point of unity?  Or of patriotism all in of itself?
there is a point. But it is merely to make social connections. But it should never be used to end someones life and to make to seem that is ok. That makes me mad. A life is a life, and to make us think that because we are 'americans' we have to right to kill someone despite what they have done, and are 'defending our people' is crap. There is no need to lie. If you are going to kill someone it should be because he has killed many people. Not because he killed americans. Had they not been americans obama would not give a sh**t.

So the President responding to Libya had nothing to do with his suggested motive?  As in, protecting civilians.  I think you're off and I generally don't agree with the President.

That is a valid point, but we did not do it purely out of the goodness of our heat. France and Britain dragged us in it.

Well I really hate it when people use patriotism as a licence to kill. Our people? you kidding me? The only thing that makes us American is us just saying we are. nothing else. I find is dishonest. It makes me want to vomit when he pulls a card like that. Be honest and keep the facts clean. And stop brainwashing us into thinking we are one when we dont even know half of the people living in America. yuck!

What's the point of having a country then?  Or the point of unity?  Or of patriotism all in of itself?
there is a point. But it is merely to make social connections. But it should never be used to end someones life and to make to seem that is ok. That makes me mad. A life is a life, and to make us think that because we are 'Americans' we have to right to kill someone despite what they have done, and are 'defending our people' is crap. There is no need to lie. If you are going to kill someone it should be because he has killed many people. Not because he killed Americans. Had they not been Americans obama would not give a sh**t.

And which one do you think matters more to the Americans?  That he killed Americans or that he killed people?  As you said, we do not know half the country itself, but I think it is safe to say that more than half care about the death of Americans than the death of people as a whole.
I disagree. I care far more when patriotism is out of the question. Honestly, i care more about people dying period. Not Americans. And it is rather low to party over someone dying! no matter what it is just rude. If justice is served already there is not need to dance about in the streets. Partying makes the theory of justice just dissolve away. There is no justice. Man i despise people right now.
I can appreciate where your coming from. I don't like to see people jubiliant over anyone's death, but really it is understandable, when you consider how he did set out to kill Americans, so Osama made himself the enemy of all Americans.  He has been the focus of people's hurt over the attacks on 9/11 and fears of another attack, so this feels like a relief, though I don't know how much it will make people safer. I do hope no innocent people died in the attack, but sadly it's likely someone did.

Then which one matters more to Americans through human psychology?  He presented it in the most sensitive way possible to the American people.  To many, the ends justify the means.  So he chose that path.

The fact of the matter is that there is no real person who is ignorant or is stupid or idiotic or daft.  These are just labels for the different ways people think.  If we start labeling them that way, then we give them the reprieve to label us in that way - and it opens up hell.  And that cycle is more vicious than anything.

Final vocab realy is a silly topic to talk about at the moment.

Can you do me a favor and stop saying american, it just makes me want to vomit. Because I can tell you that it has upset most of the world, not just americans. So can americans for once just stop talking about it from a nationalistic point of view if other can? Drop American and then I will most likely agree with you.

Are we not debating the way that Obama delivered that statement?  That he stated that it was a nationalistic thing and not an international thing? 

I agree that it is a horrible thing that people use patriotism to condone such acts, and as such, I actually do not believe that these criminals should be killed - they should be captured and shown the error of their ways.

But as I was saying, Obama is the leader of a country, not the World.  And he is in all technicality, addressing a country, not the world.  To use a non-nationalistic POV would be ridiculous to make his message, because as a head of state of a country addressing his people, a nationalistic POV is the one people want.

It is the way of countries to do so, as such, it is the way of their people to do so.

Obama is being watched. By everyone in the world tonight. There is no reason to make the focus americans. It should be people, humans who are innocent. So leader of a country I dont care about as a reason to use americans. you only do that if you want to get a mass of people to feel as one, and make it seem that they are the subject, when it is just humans. Despite the practice, I think that it could be changed to suit the globe. Not just a small secter. But oh well.

I have to go to bed and can not have this calm debate anymore. So thanks for a fun evening.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #218 on: May 01, 2011, 11:48:53 PM »

The statement from President Bush:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: May 01, 2011, 11:49:06 PM »

I don't wish to celebrate anyone's death, but we made the best possible move here. There could have been no trial, it would have been absurd. Justice has been done, finally we can move on as a nation. That man has also done so much harm to Islam, a faith than I've very much come to respect. I couldn't be more glad see him gone and this era drawing to a close.

It ain't closing until we're finally out of Afghanistan and all the security everywhere is back to pre-911 levels.

In that case, it never ends. I just mean the whole open ended quest for Bin Laden and the existential War on Terror. Yeah they'll still use the term, but I feel it will lose its impact.

Yeah, I was just thinking this evening that this doesn't really change a whole lot.  Our mission is still the same.  The figurehead of Al-Qaeda is dead, but he was basically just that, I don't think he had any real power in al-Qaeda anymore.  This is indeed a victory and a great day, but I don't think it changes a whole lot.  As the President said, "we must and we will remain vigilant at home and abroad."
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #220 on: May 01, 2011, 11:49:19 PM »

I feel badly for the woman used as a human shield.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #221 on: May 01, 2011, 11:49:27 PM »

K. THX.

It's an Okie joke.  A Jokie, if you will.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #222 on: May 01, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »

This quote by Rep. James Lankford (R, OK-5) on his facebook page.

"The death of bin Laden demonstrates the tenacity of the US military and intel community. This culminates nearly 20 years of persistent searching for this terrorist. Today, all Americans can celebrate a major accomplishment in our national security. The threat of terrorism remains alive and well however, and we should continue to support all the men and women who continue to risk their lives to keep us safe."
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #223 on: May 01, 2011, 11:53:30 PM »

And this was my second favorite line in Obama's speech: "Let us remember that we can do these things not just because of wealth or power, but because of who we are:  one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." right behind "After a firefight, they killed Osama bin Laden and took custody of his body."
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #224 on: May 01, 2011, 11:56:50 PM »

Yeah, me too.  The al Qaeda legacy of cowardice is now complete, from mass homicide missions against unarmed civilians to hiding behind a woman during a raid. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies