Osama bin Laden dead (Official)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:23:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Osama bin Laden dead (Official)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21
Author Topic: Osama bin Laden dead (Official)  (Read 40031 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2011, 10:10:41 PM »

I think from a political standpoint, George W. Bush is relieved that there is physical evidence that his invasion of Afghanistan 9 1/2 years ago was justified and that his main target is finally dead.  It may not have happened under his watch, but that it did happen.

All American are relieved that Osama is burning in hell, but W could have found him himself and had all the glory if he hadn't chosen to arbitrarily get bogged down in Iraq. He was such a disaster as president
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2011, 10:11:04 PM »

From a political standpoint, I wonder if this breaking news will erase all the other wrongs that Obama has done in his first 27 months in office and basically hand him the election 18 months in advance?

Its hard to say. It will help him for quite awhile but its hard to see this making people forget about the economic problems for that long. If he wins, it will likely be the coninuance of the recovery that did it for him.

Yeah.  We're still a long way out from 2012 for this to matter that much by then.  It'll give him a big spike in approval ratings, but that won't last a year and a half.

That's true, but people will ask in October 2012, what was President Obama's lasting achievement, and why should I vote for him?  One answer will come from May 1, 2011 when the news broke that Osama Bin Laden was killed under his watch.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2011, 10:11:14 PM »

CNN reporting he was killed in Islamabad; CBS saying Afghanistan.

Yet CBS says we may have violated Pakistan's borders, to get him. Love that consistency.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2011, 10:11:27 PM »

Guess I'm not sleeping tonight. Smiley
bloombergforpresident
obama12

« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2011, 10:11:42 PM »

I'm tired of waiting- when is Obama speaking?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2011, 10:12:06 PM »

From a political standpoint, I wonder if this breaking news will erase all the other wrongs that Obama has done in his first 27 months in office and basically hand him the election 18 months in advance?

Its hard to say. It will help him for quite awhile but its hard to see this making people forget about the economic problems for that long. If he wins, it will likely be the coninuance of the recovery that did it for him.

Yeah.  We're still a long way out from 2012 for this to matter that much by then.  It'll give him a big spike in approval ratings, but that won't last a year and a half.

That's true, but people will ask in October 2012, what was President Obama's lasting achievement, and why should I vote for him?  One answer will come from May 1, 2011 when the news broke that Osama Bin Laden was killed under his watch.

Most voters don't think like that.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2011, 10:12:24 PM »

CNN reporting he was killed in Islamabad; CBS saying Afghanistan.

Yet CBS says we may have violated Pakistan's borders, to get him. Love that consistency.

His ilk are a huge threat to Pakistan too, I don't think the Government is going to mind...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2011, 10:12:37 PM »

FOX is saying we have his body; he was identified with DNA from a family member, and he was killed in Pakistan.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2011, 10:12:56 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2011, 10:14:48 PM by hawkeye59 »

YESSSSSSS!
This Bin Laden is no more, he has ceased to be. He's expired and gone to meet his maker! This is a late Bin Laden He's a stiff! Bereft of life, he rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed him to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisies! He's run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible! This is an ex-Bin Laden!
USA USA
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2011, 10:13:33 PM »

Good riddance.  But why not keep him in deep freeze until the weekend before the election?  Are they that desperate?

Well, its kind of hard to hide something like that for that long.  It also looks really bad if exposed, and would probably actually hurt Obama.

But anyway, it looks like we got him.  lets just hope this turns out to be a good thing in the long run

The Feds can always keep something quiet if they actually try.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2011, 10:13:46 PM »

I think from a political standpoint, George W. Bush is relieved that there is physical evidence that his invasion of Afghanistan 9 1/2 years ago was justified and that his main target is finally dead.  It may not have happened under his watch, but that it did happen.

All American are relieved that Osama is burning in hell, but W could have found him himself and had all the glory if he hadn't chosen to arbitrarily get bogged down in Iraq. He was such a disaster as president

Bush was far from a disaster and history will view hiim that way.  Iraq was necessary, IMO, because Saddam Hussein needed to be removed from office and he was not going to go through diplomatic means alone.  He may not have WMD's, but he could have attained them.  Saddam was a smart man, he knew exactly what to do.  So, Bush can claim Saddam Hussein and Obama can claim Osama Bin Laden, and maybe Col Gadhafi.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2011, 10:13:48 PM »

I was just about to go to asleep and was readind the Time special on the Civil War, when my brother came in and told me that they had broken in on CBS that Osama was dead and the Prez was gonna speak soon.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2011, 10:14:54 PM »

Cool!
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2011, 10:15:10 PM »

If the economy shows some recovery the President will win hands-down based on the weak candidates on our side.  His election will also depend on what actions he takes regarding the war from here on in.  The death will have more effect on our feelings about the conflict than the convictions of terrorist organizations associated with him.

My whole night just got taken up.  I'll be up until early morning watching the news Sad
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2011, 10:15:56 PM »

Come on Barry!!!
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2011, 10:16:01 PM »

Awww I wish I saw this thread earlier. I had my prediction that Osama was dead in writing 8:27 on facebook chat.

Side note, fox's "Usama" spelling is annoyeing me Tongue
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »

Good riddance.  But why not keep him in deep freeze until the weekend before the election?  Are they that desperate?

Well, its kind of hard to hide something like that for that long.  It also looks really bad if exposed, and would probably actually hurt Obama.

But anyway, it looks like we got him.  lets just hope this turns out to be a good thing in the long run

The Feds can always keep something quiet if they actually try.

They're actually pretty bad at. Nobody knows how to keep their mouth shut these days.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2011, 10:16:32 PM »

Well, I'm glad that he finally got his due. I don't know how much effect it will have on Obama's approval, but it's definitely worth a good amount a points a more than few people's books.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2011, 10:17:10 PM »

FOX is saying that he may have been killed up to a week ago, and they were waiting on the DNA confirmation.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2011, 10:17:34 PM »

It is what the FBI uses, though.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2011, 10:18:40 PM »

They say that they are "calabrating" statements for not just a US audience but for a world audience and for our enemies and thus the delay.

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2011, 10:20:56 PM »

I wonder if the world stock markets will shoot up tomorrow?
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2011, 10:22:16 PM »

There will be no bounce for Obama because of this.

Could be wrong. Good riddance to Osama though.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2011, 10:22:31 PM »

Awww I wish I saw this thread earlier. I had my prediction that Osama was dead in writing 8:27 on facebook chat.

Usāmah bin Muḥammad bin ʿAwaḍ bin Lādin
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2011, 10:22:35 PM »

I wonder if the world stock markets will shoot up tomorrow?

There will be a positive psychological reaction... but we need to be careful thinking this will change everything... because it's pretty likely that won't be the case.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies