Osama bin Laden dead (Official)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:57:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Osama bin Laden dead (Official)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21
Author Topic: Osama bin Laden dead (Official)  (Read 39955 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: May 02, 2011, 01:34:47 AM »

LOL at fireman Pelosi.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #276 on: May 02, 2011, 01:35:44 AM »

I didn't even notice that.  I think most people just focus on Stassi and his reaction.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #277 on: May 02, 2011, 01:41:26 AM »

To those speculating about Obama's approval ratings: my Facebook feed was filled with people complaining about Obama "taking credit" for something that wasn't his and also complaining about he will use this to get re-elected. While you could tell that this was only coming from the partisan yokels that inhabit my state, that means Obama will be lucky to break 60% approval ratings.

He'll get up to the high 50s/maybe low 60s for a week and be at positive approval ratings for a month, maybe two months.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #278 on: May 02, 2011, 01:47:42 AM »

I'm sticking with what I said earlier.  He won't pass 55.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #279 on: May 02, 2011, 01:56:52 AM »

In addition to the generally patriotic things that the media is reporting as being chanted in front of the White House, there were also chants of "Obama" and "Obama killed Osama". Unsurprisingly those are being largely left out of news articles.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #280 on: May 02, 2011, 02:14:13 AM »

TBH, I couldn't see approving of Obama over this. While getting Bin Laden is a powerful symbolic moment, the guy stopped being relevant years ago. This will have no impact whatsoever on the life of anybody in the country today, & it is ultimately quite trivial compared to all of the other things one could judge the Obama Administration on.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #281 on: May 02, 2011, 02:15:04 AM »

I'm sticking with what I said earlier.  He won't pass 55.

Maybe not in Scott Rasmussen's poll. He will in the others.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #282 on: May 02, 2011, 02:35:50 AM »

CNN is reporting they've already burried Bin Laden at sea.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #283 on: May 02, 2011, 02:37:18 AM »

FOX has also confirmed it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #284 on: May 02, 2011, 03:08:26 AM »

So since he's already been buried at sea, how long until right-wing commentators accuse Obama of fabricating his death for political benefit?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #285 on: May 02, 2011, 03:23:22 AM »

I assume this was done so that his burial ground doesn't become a magnet for nutjobs from all over the Muslim world.

So since he's already been buried at sea, how long until right-wing commentators accuse Obama of fabricating his death for political benefit?

I predict another book from Jerome Corsi.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #286 on: May 02, 2011, 03:24:12 AM »

I assume this was done so that his burial ground doesn't become a magnet for nutjobs from all over the Muslim world.

Or becuz IT WAS StAGED!11!!

EDIT TO ADD: 19% in the online CNN insta-poll say they do not believe Bin Laden is daed Roll Eyes
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #287 on: May 02, 2011, 03:35:48 AM »

Not right-wing.  The crazy Truthers will say that, but then again, Bin Laden was "innocent" all along.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #288 on: May 02, 2011, 03:36:42 AM »

That was exactly the reasoning, and I think it was VERY smart.

Also, the reason it was done so quickly was to abide by Islamic practice, which apparently requires the body to be burried within 24 hours.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #289 on: May 02, 2011, 03:47:00 AM »

TBH, I couldn't see approving of Obama over this. While getting Bin Laden is a powerful symbolic moment, the guy stopped being relevant years ago. This will have no impact whatsoever on the life of anybody in the country today, & it is ultimately quite trivial compared to all of the other things one could judge the Obama Administration on.

No, to all of it.

Bin Laden has remained relevant due to the fact he was the leader of a major terrorist organization that is still active around the world to this day.

It already has had an impact on thousands of Americans who suffered on 9/11, and even those who have not. Justice has definitely been served, and its been long overdue. America needed this.

Successfully tracking down and killing the most wanted man in the world is not what I would consider "trivial". This will go down has a major success, whether you like the President or not.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #290 on: May 02, 2011, 03:56:55 AM »

Not bad.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #291 on: May 02, 2011, 04:07:35 AM »

No, to all of it.

Bin Laden has remained relevant due to the fact he was the leader of a major terrorist organization that is still active around the world to this day.

It already has had an impact on thousands of Americans who suffered on 9/11, and even those who have not. Justice has definitely been served, and its been long overdue. America needed this.

Successfully tracking down and killing the most wanted man in the world is not what I would consider "trivial". This will go down has a major success, whether you like the President or not.

A major terrorist organization whose operations have been distinctly limited in impact for some time now. The past is the past &, whether or not justice is being served, it pains me to see taxpayer dollars being chalked up to something like this.

I agree that this will go down as a major success, but mainly because people care more for symbolism than functionality. It's why Bush's approval ratings went up to 90% on 9/11 even though there was no more reason to approve of him then than there was on 9/10.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #292 on: May 02, 2011, 04:18:38 AM »

No, to all of it.

A major terrorist organization whose operations have been distinctly limited in impact for some time now. The past is the past &, whether or not justice is being served, it pains me to see taxpayer dollars being chalked up to something like this.

I agree that this will go down as a major success, but mainly because people care more for symbolism than functionality. It's why Bush's approval ratings went up to 90% on 9/11 even though there was no more reason to approve of him then than there was on 9/10.

You can argue that Al Qaeda has been limited in activity for years, but they continue to be a threat globally regardless of how "active" they've been. Also, Bin Laden remained wanted for his atrocities on 9/11 that killed thousands. If that's not much incentive to continue searching for him and "wasting" taxpayer dollars, than I dunno what is.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #293 on: May 02, 2011, 04:36:42 AM »

No, to all of it.

You can argue that Al Qaeda has been limited in activity for years, but they continue to be a threat globally regardless of how "active" they've been. Also, Bin Laden remained wanted for his atrocities on 9/11 that killed thousands. If that's not much incentive to continue searching for him and "wasting" taxpayer dollars, than I dunno what is.

As long as the killers have been effectively neutralized, I don't consider getting them as being important enough to warrant a long-term manhunt. I'm happy that he's gone, but I'm just not seeing it as a huge moment of victory for the American people or anything.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #294 on: May 02, 2011, 04:37:50 AM »

No, to all of it.

As long as the killers have been effectively neutralized, I don't consider getting them as being important enough to warrant a long-term manhunt. I'm happy that he's gone, but I'm just not seeing it as a huge moment of victory for the American people or anything.

That's unfortunate.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #295 on: May 02, 2011, 04:51:04 AM »

I agree with your last point, but not the first.  Criminals need to be brought to justice, especially those that orchestrate mass murder.  It took a long time for a myriad of reasons, but it's done.  We should be pissed it took so long, but glad it's finally done.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #296 on: May 02, 2011, 05:07:00 AM »

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #297 on: May 02, 2011, 05:22:03 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2011, 05:24:12 AM by Where's the death certificate?? »

Also, I guess I agree with PiT.  Like many people, I'd pretty much forgotten about bin Laden until now.  You can't really blame us either; the government tried it's hardest to encourage us to forget about him once it became apparent that they had no idea where he was for nearly a decade.

"I am truly not that concerned about him." - George W. Bush, March 2002

I won't say that this development is trivial, but it is a bit of a distraction.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #298 on: May 02, 2011, 05:37:10 AM »

Very, very happy this morning Cheesy
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #299 on: May 02, 2011, 05:56:55 AM »

GOOD RIDDANCE!

Side note, fox's "Usama" spelling is annoyeing me Tongue

Sorry, but it's correct. There's no "O" in Arabic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies