Osama bin Laden dead (Official) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:43:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Osama bin Laden dead (Official) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Osama bin Laden dead (Official)  (Read 40182 times)
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« on: May 02, 2011, 03:47:00 AM »

TBH, I couldn't see approving of Obama over this. While getting Bin Laden is a powerful symbolic moment, the guy stopped being relevant years ago. This will have no impact whatsoever on the life of anybody in the country today, & it is ultimately quite trivial compared to all of the other things one could judge the Obama Administration on.

No, to all of it.

Bin Laden has remained relevant due to the fact he was the leader of a major terrorist organization that is still active around the world to this day.

It already has had an impact on thousands of Americans who suffered on 9/11, and even those who have not. Justice has definitely been served, and its been long overdue. America needed this.

Successfully tracking down and killing the most wanted man in the world is not what I would consider "trivial". This will go down has a major success, whether you like the President or not.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 04:18:38 AM »

TBH, I couldn't see approving of Obama over this. While getting Bin Laden is a powerful symbolic moment, the guy stopped being relevant years ago. This will have no impact whatsoever on the life of anybody in the country today, & it is ultimately quite trivial compared to all of the other things one could judge the Obama Administration on.

No, to all of it.

Bin Laden has remained relevant due to the fact he was the leader of a major terrorist organization that is still active around the world to this day.

It already has had an impact on thousands of Americans who suffered on 9/11, and even those who have not. Justice has definitely been served, and its been long overdue. America needed this.

Successfully tracking down and killing the most wanted man in the world is not what I would consider "trivial". This will go down has a major success, whether you like the President or not.

A major terrorist organization whose operations have been distinctly limited in impact for some time now. The past is the past &, whether or not justice is being served, it pains me to see taxpayer dollars being chalked up to something like this.

I agree that this will go down as a major success, but mainly because people care more for symbolism than functionality. It's why Bush's approval ratings went up to 90% on 9/11 even though there was no more reason to approve of him then than there was on 9/10.

You can argue that Al Qaeda has been limited in activity for years, but they continue to be a threat globally regardless of how "active" they've been. Also, Bin Laden remained wanted for his atrocities on 9/11 that killed thousands. If that's not much incentive to continue searching for him and "wasting" taxpayer dollars, than I dunno what is.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 04:37:50 AM »

No, to all of it.

A major terrorist organization whose operations have been distinctly limited in impact for some time now. The past is the past &, whether or not justice is being served, it pains me to see taxpayer dollars being chalked up to something like this.

I agree that this will go down as a major success, but mainly because people care more for symbolism than functionality. It's why Bush's approval ratings went up to 90% on 9/11 even though there was no more reason to approve of him then than there was on 9/10.

You can argue that Al Qaeda has been limited in activity for years, but they continue to be a threat globally regardless of how "active" they've been. Also, Bin Laden remained wanted for his atrocities on 9/11 that killed thousands. If that's not much incentive to continue searching for him and "wasting" taxpayer dollars, than I dunno what is.

As long as the killers have been effectively neutralized, I don't consider getting them as being important enough to warrant a long-term manhunt. I'm happy that he's gone, but I'm just not seeing it as a huge moment of victory for the American people or anything.

That's unfortunate.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 06:18:45 AM »

It's amazing how some in the international community are slamming America for Bin Laden's death.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies