2006 Governor's races (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:35:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2006 Governor's races (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2006 Governor's races  (Read 10506 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« on: January 20, 2005, 09:34:08 PM »

i think/hope that mitt romney is in trouble in mass.  the strongest contender might be AG  thomas reilly. 

personally i hope shannon o'brien will run again.  she would have my support.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 10:43:36 PM »

Pasted from another board:

In your sig, you say you support Cathy Cox for Governor. Did she try to mess with evolution in schools? I remember reading about that, I think it was her, but I'm not sure.

No, there are two elected officials in Georgia with similar names: Democratic Secretary of State Cathy Cox and Republican Secretary of Education Kathy Cox.  In fact, the confusion over the names was the greatest factor that contributed to the election of Kathy in 2002 - voters simply thought she was the very popular Cathy.

It was Kathy who made a fool of herself during her anti-evolution outburst last year.  But if you ask me, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to believe that she was conscripted to do something outrageous like that to diminish respect for the Cox name in the state, since the Republicans knew Cathy would be running for governor against Sonny.

Thanks for the clarification. Is she the favorite for the nomination at this point?

Well, unfortunately, the 2 biggest names the GA Dems have are both running for the right to challenge Sonny next year, the other being current Lt. Gov. Mark Taylor.  At least one of them will be out of a job come 2 years from now.  I'd have to say it's a tossup at this point, although I'm going to predict that Cox gets the nomination.  Taylor has the money advantage, but Cox probably has greater name recognition (although some of it negative due to the confusion outlined above) and is certainly more charismatic.  Furthermore, women make up a substantial majority of the Dem primary voters, which obviously helps Cox.  Taylor seems to be indicating that he will run a negative campaign - in the first week after Cox announed her intentions, his people began to refer to her as "liberal" - an insult, I guess.  Cox should be able to match him on fundraising, so I see no reason why she shouldn't win it.

Has Max Cleland considered running?

lol.  max cleland is unfit for government service.  he is quite obviously a nut.

not to mention he has a huge chip on his shoulder about his war injuries.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies